Any G80T oil recommendations

KBG80T

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I am new here and will be coming up on my first oil change. I have read a couple forums but still not sure what the best route is for the 2018 G80T. The dealer here in Charlotte, NC told me regular oil is fine but other forums say a synthetic oil is best for a twin turbo engine because it can run hotter. Here is Charlotte NC it can stay hot for a while. I know different parts of the country probably uses different weight oils. I called Genesis America and they said I didn't need synthetic oil also. Owners manual states regular quaker state oil. If anyone can chime in and let me know what part of the country your in and what you use would be great help.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Here is Charlotte NC it can stay hot for a while. I know different parts of the country probably uses different weight oils. I called Genesis America and they said I didn't need synthetic oil also. Owners manual states regular quaker state oil. If anyone can chime in and let me know what part of the country your in and what you use would be great help.
No matter what part of the county I was in, with the TT it would be full synthetic. I use it in my 3,8. Since I took the car to the dealer instead of using the concierge, they did it at no extra cost.

Many years ago when synthetics were new, my brother and I did some experimenting with a 2 cycle model airplane engine. With regular oils it wuld peak at 18000 rpm and overheat and stop. With synthetic, it would hit 22,000 rpm and just keep going. Turbos have gotten better, but they still run at high rpm and can be hot.

KBG80T

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks EdP. I agree I will go with a full synthetic. My dealers here are not as nice as yours there. I am sure they will charge extra for it. I guess a 5W-30 would work. I think I read some people use a 0W-30

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I am new here and will be coming up on my first oil change. I have read a couple forums but still not sure what the best route is for the 2018 G80T. The dealer here in Charlotte, NC told me regular oil is fine but other forums say a synthetic oil is best for a twin turbo engine because it can run hotter. Here is Charlotte NC it can stay hot for a while. I know different parts of the country probably uses different weight oils. I called Genesis America and they said I didn't need synthetic oil also. Owners manual states regular quaker state oil. If anyone can chime in and let me know what part of the country your in and what you use would be great help.
The recommendation for Quaker State is a paid advertisement.

I don't have an owners manual for a vehicle with the 3.3T, but check the section RECOMMENDED LUBRICANTS AND CAPACITIES. It's probably in chapter 6.

Here are the specs for the 3.8 L GDI (non turbo) from 2016:
API Service SM*3 & ILSAC GF-4 (or above),​
ACEA A5 or above​

If you post the specs for your engine from your owner's manual, I will find out which in the minimum quality motor you must use and post that. However, a 5W-30 full synthetic is what I would use, so that sounds good to me. Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE is also a very good motor oil, but check the specs (such as ACEA A5 or above).

tissle

Getting familiar with the group...
i just got my oil changed. They were going to use the Hyundai recommended Synthetic Blend and I told them is that really the best oil for my engine. They upgraded to full synthetic without me paying anything.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Unlike the other Genesis engines, the 3.3T specifies ACEA A5 or above only. This is not surprising, since turbo engines operate at higher temps than non-turbos.

I checked the websites of Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Castrol. The Castrol website is screwed up, and times-out trying to display their product data sheets, so I was not able to find information on them.

For Mobil and Pennzoil, the only motor oils that meet the ACEA A5 spec are their full synthetics in 5W-30 viscosity.
  • For Mobil that means Mobil 1, Mobil 1 EP, and Mobil 1 Advanced (all three in 5W-30 viscosity only).
  • For Pennzoil, that means Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum (both in 5W-30 viscosity only).
Quaker State Full Synthetic did not claim any ACEA spec, even for 5W-30.

I could not find any synthetic blend 5W-30 that claimed to meet the ACEA A5 spec, but there may some other brands that do.

KBG80T

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Mark thanks for the in depth information. I was at the store looking at oils and yes the mobile 1 meets the rating and the Pennzoil. I did look at the castro edge and on the back it says ACEA: A1/B1, A5/B5 rated. All these are full synthetic oils.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Mark thanks for the in depth information. I was at the store looking at oils and yes the mobile 1 meets the rating and the Pennzoil. I did look at the castro edge and on the back it says ACEA: A1/B1, A5/B5 rated. All these are full synthetic oils.
Auto manufacturers are very hesititant to use the word "synthetic" in the USA, because it conjures up ideas of expensive maintenance. Honda and Toyota now require synthetic oil on all their vehicles, but they only do so by specifying 0W-20 (which is only available in a synthetic).

buellwinkle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
No matter what part of the county I was in, with the TT it would be full synthetic. I use it in my 3,8. Since I took the car to the dealer instead of using the concierge, they did it at no extra cost.

Many years ago when synthetics were new, my brother and I did some experimenting with a 2 cycle model airplane engine. With regular oils it wuld peak at 18000 rpm and overheat and stop. With synthetic, it would hit 22,000 rpm and just keep going. Turbos have gotten better, but they still run at high rpm and can be hot.
Many years ago, i rebuilt the engine in my VW bug... I used Mobil 1 full synthetic.... A few weeks later in the worse traffic you can imagine and the hottest day of the year, the fan belt broke, allowing the engine temperature to go extreme..... I was worried it would catch fire before I could find a place to get out of the traffic... This in a weeks old fresh rebuild... I had to replace the broken fan belt, the Mobil 1 saved my engine, drove it for many more years without a problem or sign of any effect of the HOT run... I will use Mobil 1 in my new G80...

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I ran Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 in my 2011 Genesis 3.8 after 50K miles; Castrol 5w-20 "dino" oil until then. I switched after M1 Full Syn oil become more reasonably priced (Wal*Mart $24.00 USD 5qts). On my 2018 G80 3.3TT at my first oil change at 5K Miles I started with and will continue to use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30. Per above, 5w-30 is the only Mobile 1 Full Syn weight that meets the manufacturers recommended ACEA A5. IMO Full Syn provides an extra level of protection for a turbocharged engine.

Manual states 5w-20 or 5w-30 can be used. I chose to go with 5w-30 because:
1) M1 5w-20 is not ACEA A5 certified.
2) IMO the thicker, at operating temperature, 5w-30 viscosity would provide better engine/turbochargers protection then 5w-20, albeit at the expense of gas mileage possibly.

I was surprised the oil capacity being about 2 qts+ more on the 2018 G80 3.3 versus the 2011 Genesis 3.8. Per the 2018 G80 manual:
2018 G80 3.3L/3.8L = 7.29 qts.
2018 G80 5.0L = RWD 8.45 qts. / AWD 9.72 qts

I use NAPA gold oil filters which were made/same as Wix in 2011. I haven't re-verified this recently.

Last edited:

KBG80T

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I ran Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-20 in my 2011 Genesis 3.8 after 50K miles; Castrol 5w-20 "dino" oil until then. I switched after M1 Full Syn oil become more reasonably priced (Wal*Mart $24.00 USD 5qts). On my 2018 G80 3.3TT at my first oil change at 5K Miles I started with and will continue to use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30. Per above, 5w-30 is the only Mobile 1 Full Syn weight that meets the manufacturers recommended ACEA A5. IMO Full Syn provides an extra level of protection for a turbocharged engine.

Manual states 5w-20 or 5w-30 can be used. I chose to go with 5w-30 because:
1) M1 5w-20 is not ACEA A5 certified.
2) IMO the thicker, at operating temperature, 5w-30 viscosity would provide better engine/turbochargers protection then 5w-20, albeit at the expense of gas mileage possibly.

I was surprised the oil capacity being about 2 qts+ more on the 2018 G80 3.3 versus the 2011 Genesis 3.8. Per the 2018 G80 manual:
2018 G80 3.3L/3.8L = 7.29 qts.
2018 G80 5.0L = RWD 8.45 qts. / AWD 9.72 qts

I use NAPA gold oil filters which were made/same as Wix in 2011. I haven't re-verified this recently.
I agree and I purchased the M1 at Walmart. They have these for $22.98 5 gallon. I checked the other versions as well and they don't meet the ACEA rating. I will ask my dealer what they use just to see but most likely I will do the oil changes. Thanks.

JohnLaFoote

Laytonsville, MD
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Although I have yet to buy my G80 Sport, I would only consider putting in the best synthetic oil made, which is AMSOIL. I have used it in my Toyota Avalon for 12 years now, and it is top-quality. By using AMSOIL engine oil and transmission fluid in my Avalon, it increased my gas mileage by 4+ mpg over the manufacturer suggested mpg !!! I also use AMSOIL in my standby generator, gas trimmer, lawn tractor, and my other 3 cars (one which has > 200,000 miles and still running like new!). The AMSOIL specs exceed all manufacturers recommendations for certifications & quality. A highly-recommended oil. Hope this helps....

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Although I have yet to buy my G80 Sport, I would only consider putting in the best synthetic oil made, which is AMSOIL. I have used it in my Toyota Avalon for 12 years now, and it is top-quality. By using AMSOIL engine oil and transmission fluid in my Avalon, it increased my gas mileage by 4+ mpg over the manufacturer suggested mpg !!! I also use AMSOIL in my standby generator, gas trimmer, lawn tractor, and my other 3 cars (one which has > 200,000 miles and still running like new!). The AMSOIL specs exceed all manufacturers recommendations for certifications & quality. A highly-recommended oil. Hope this helps....
Amsoil makes 3 different synthetics (at different price points). Which one do you use?

JohnLaFoote

Laytonsville, MD
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hi Mark, others:
I have been using the XL Synthetic oil, which provides protection that lasts up to 12,000 miles or 1 year between oil changes, although I typically don't wait that long. AMSOIL also has their Original Equipment (OE) synthetic, and of course their Signature Series of great oils, which can go up to 25,000 miles or 1 years between oil changes. And I do not think it is any more expensive than other synthetic oils, and certainly has better quality than most other synthetics. I'm sure everyone has their favorite engine oil, but AMSOIL is certainly worth consideration, IMHO. Hope this helps....

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hi Mark, others:
I have been using the XL Synthetic oil, which provides protection that lasts up to 12,000 miles or 1 year between oil changes, although I typically don't wait that long. AMSOIL also has their Original Equipment (OE) synthetic, and of course their Signature Series of great oils, which can go up to 25,000 miles or 1 years between oil changes. And I do not think it is any more expensive than other synthetic oils, and certainly has better quality than most other synthetics. I'm sure everyone has their favorite engine oil, but AMSOIL is certainly worth consideration, IMHO. Hope this helps....
Amsoil uses a bait and switch marketing strategy. The premium product Signature Series is the one that they brag about with how well it does in wear tests, but not many use it because it is not API certified (and therefore technically does not meet Hyundai or Genesis specs) and it is very expensive ($10 - $12 a quart depending on quantity purchased), plus one may have to pay shipping charges.

The XL version of Amsoil you use is respectable (and API certified), but is usually about $7-$8 per quart, but is no better than Mobil 1 or other major synthetic brands that can be purchased for less than $5 per quart at Walmart (when buying 5-quart jugs).

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well, AMSOIL as well as other oil manufactures are suing Hyundai and Genesis over their false claims and warranty practices. The FTC has got involved and Hyundai and Genesis has already changed their warranty statements respectively. The FTC has warned both Hyundai and Genesis about their dubious warranty practices and statements under the Moss-Magnuson Act. Nuff said!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well, AMSOIL as well as other oil manufactures are suing Hyundai and Genesis over their false claims and warranty practices. The FTC has got involved and Hyundai and Genesis has already changed their warranty statements respectively. The FTC has warned both Hyundai and Genesis about their dubious warranty practices and statements under the Moss-Magnuson Act. Nuff said!
Do you have a link or more info on that?

The fact is that Amsoil Signature synthetic oil is not API certified and therefore does not meet any manufacturer specs. The oil itself is high quality in terms of wear protection, but there are some other issues related to the effect on catalytic converters and other problems.

The other two Amsoil motor oils (XL and OEM) are API certified, but their performance testing is pretty mediocre, especially considering how much they cost.

That's why I said that Amsoil is a bait and switch scam. They brag about their Signature series wear tests, but very few people actually buy that stuff, mainly because of the cost, and also lack of API certification.

Also, I would very leery of any product not sold in retail stores, and only sold by multi-tier marketing and distribution programs that are pyramid schemes.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.