Any interest in DIY Transmission flush?

Sleepr24

Getting familiar with the group...
Hi guys,

Over the weekend I did a complete transmission flush, filter refresh, transmission pan\magnet cleaning, and transmission fluid change. To top it off, I also added a oil cooler to the radiator to assist in cooling the transmission fluid since I push my car pretty hard. Anyway to get to the point, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in me writing up a DIY guide on this. I don't want to put in the work if nobody would even care but would be more than happy to do so if it would benefit anyone. Please let me know when you have a moment yay or ne. Thanks.

EDIT: Guess I should add this was on a 2011 3.8.

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
EDIT: Guess I should add this was on a 2011 3.8.
So that would be the Aisin 6-speed transmission used on the 2009-2011 Genesis V6 sedan. Aisin was a joint venture between Toyota and Borg-Warner to make RWD transmissions used in Lexus and other brands.

Sleepr24

So that would be the Aisin 6-speed transmission used on the 2009-2011 Genesis V6 sedan. Aisin was a joint venture between Toyota and Borg-Warner to make RWD transmissions used in Lexus and other brands.
You are correct. I will say it was a MAJOR PITA to not only get the parts to perform the above but also to find reliable and consistent information from multiple dealerships in multiple states. That is the main reason I was wondering if anyone would be interested so they don't have to go through everything I had to go through. That and the fact you can save hundreds of dollars doing it yourself with the same or better results as you would get from the dealer.

dmitriylm

Registered Member
I think a DIY will be incredibly valuable to current and future members particularly as the cars get older and require such maintenance. I just did this on my 4.6 with ZF trans some months ago and it required replacing the entire transmission pan as the filter is integrated.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You are correct. I will say it was a MAJOR PITA to not only get the parts to perform the above but also to find reliable and consistent information from multiple dealerships in multiple states. That is the main reason I was wondering if anyone would be interested so they don't have to go through everything I had to go through. That and the fact you can save hundreds of dollars doing it yourself with the same or better results as you would get from the dealer.
It is a PITA, partially because I don't think they want DIY's doing it. I may never reach 100K miles on my 2009 (only 54,500 miles now), and it is a 100K mile item. The newer transmissions with synthetic fluid do not need to be changed very often, if ever (depending on driving conditions).

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
It is a PITA, partially because I don't think they want DIY's doing it. I may never reach 100K miles on my 2009 (only 54,500 miles now), and it is a 100K mile item. The newer transmissions with synthetic fluid do not need to be changed very often, if ever (depending on driving conditions).
Glad you qualified the statement with (depending on driving conditions). I change the fluid and filter on my AWD Yukon XL Denali every spring before I start towing the boat to lakes and to Florida. Also, if an owner wants to drive a car to 200k or 300k then I think changing transmission fluid every 60,000 miles is good preventive maintenance. FWIW Mercedes requires the service every 40k miles.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Glad you qualified the statement with (depending on driving conditions). I change the fluid and filter on my AWD Yukon XL Denali every spring before I start towing the boat to lakes and to Florida. Also, if an owner wants to drive a car to 200k or 300k then I think changing transmission fluid every 60,000 miles is good preventive maintenance. FWIW Mercedes requires the service every 40k miles.
Given that transmission is covered under the 10 year - 100K mile drivetrain warranty, I might suspect that there is something different about the Hyundai transmissions and/or fluid that makes them think it doesn't require changing more often than 100K miles (under normal conditions when not towing).

On my previous car with conventional transmission fluid (not synthetic) I had the transmission fluid changed every 30K miles according to the manufacturer specifications.

MrWhite

Hasn't posted much yet...
Sleepr24,

I also have a 2011 Genesis 3.8L. Mine only has 31,000 miles so I wont need this for some time, but someday I will. I think your DIY write up would be a great resource for Genesis owners.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
A general comment: Given the 10/100,000 warranty, if applicable to your specific car, I wouldn't let anyone other than a Hyundai shop change the transmission oil. Why assume the risk?

dmitriylm

Registered Member
Given that transmission is covered under the 10 year - 100K mile drivetrain warranty, I might suspect that there is something different about the Hyundai transmissions and/or fluid that makes them think it doesn't require changing more often than 100K miles (under normal conditions when not towing).

On my previous car with conventional transmission fluid (not synthetic) I had the transmission fluid changed every 30K miles according to the manufacturer specifications.
The ZF 6HP26 trans in my V8 is the same unit used in many other cars (BMW, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Ford, etc) and they list it as having lifetime fluid. What they mean is that it will likely last the lifetime of your warranty as they don't particularly cares what happens after that point. I flushed my trans at 65k or so to prolong the life of the trans as I like to drive aggressively and not willing to trust manufacturers 'lifetime' claims.

Sleepr24

Alright guys thanks for the feedback. I will write it up since it sounds like at least 1 or two people will find some use for it. Give me a day or two so I can make sure I have as much details as possible. Thanks again for your feedback guys.

Sleepr24

The ZF 6HP26 trans in my V8 is the same unit used in many other cars (BMW, Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Ford, etc) and they list it as having lifetime fluid. What they mean is that it will likely last the lifetime of your warranty as they don't particularly cares what happens after that point. I flushed my trans at 65k or so to prolong the life of the trans as I like to drive aggressively and not willing to trust manufacturers 'lifetime' claims.
Ironically I found a ton of information on your transmission when trying to research mine. Apparently a trans job on your car is quite the expensive en devour. Did you have a hard time trying to find the fluid for your car? Also, how much a quart did you have to shell out? I had dealers quote me from as low as $10 to as high as $112 a quart! I mean it was insane how shady so many of these places are. I waited for 125k to change my fluid and I must say it was a terrible oversight on my end. After looking what came out of my transmission, I am surprised it was even driving at all.

dmitriylm

Registered Member
Ironically I found a ton of information on your transmission when trying to research mine. Apparently a trans job on your car is quite the expensive en devour. Did you have a hard time trying to find the fluid for your car? Also, how much a quart did you have to shell out? I had dealers quote me from as low as $10 to as high as $112 a quart! I mean it was insane how shady so many of these places are. I waited for 125k to change my fluid and I must say it was a terrible oversight on my end. After looking what came out of my transmission, I am surprised it was even driving at all.
I researched a ton of ZF compatible fluid and ended up going with Pentosin ATF-1 @ roughly $58 per 5 liters (bought 2 of them). I also had to buy a replacement transmission pan as the filter is integrated and can't be changed separately.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
The 2011 Genesis 3.8 uses an Aisin transmission, and the fluid specs are different according to the owner's manual. Not sure if there are fluids that meet both specs.

This looks, feels, and smells like a dealer service item to me, even though I try to avoid using the dealer for routine maintenance like oil changes, etc.

Sleepr24

The 2011 Genesis 3.8 uses an Aisin transmission, and the fluid specs are different according to the owner's manual. Not sure if there are fluids that meet both specs.

This looks, feels, and smells like a dealer service item to me, even though I try to avoid using the dealer for routine maintenance like oil changes, etc.
It is technically a dealer service item but I was able to get 9 quarts of transmission fluid @ $10 a quart from a dealer in Maryland which was more than enough. There is no other fluid we can officially use for the Aisin 6 speed.

kennjen

NY
Sleepr24 ! Unfortunately, I've searched the Web up and down, but unable to find information on our Aisin b600 tranny. I would very much appreciate an update on this.

I believe this to be an straight forward drop and fill with a standard overflow plug. (i.e. drop fluid, put back overflow plug, add fluid, shift through, check if fluid comes out from overflow p., add more if no overflow)

Only two questions really .... 1) where is the damn fill plug. 2) tips on access to fil and drain plug. along with generic wisdom and tips, would be appreciated !!!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go look at Lexus forums now to search for Aisin related info......

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Sleepr24 ! Unfortunately, I've searched the Web up and down, but unable to find information on our Aisin b600 tranny. I would very much appreciate an update on this.

I believe this to be an straight forward drop and fill with a standard overflow plug. (i.e. drop fluid, put back overflow plug, add fluid, shift through, check if fluid comes out from overflow p., add more if no overflow)

Only two questions really .... 1) where is the damn fill plug. 2) tips on access to fil and drain plug. along with generic wisdom and tips, would be appreciated !!!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go look at Lexus forums now to search for Aisin related info......
It's not generally considered to be a DYI service item, so that is why there is no drain and fill plug. I think the fluid has to go into the overflow plug hole, but not 100% sure.

Even some Hyundai dealers refuse to service any of the Genesis sedan transmissions, because they are more difficult to do than other transmissions, and the specified drain interval is "forever" on most of them. This includes the Aisin 6-speed, ZF 6-Speed, and the Hyundai 8-speed.

kennjen

NY
>>so that is why there is no drain and fill plug. I think the fluid has to go into the overflow plug hole, but not 100% sure.

WUT ? I know it's called "SEALED" transmission, but I don't think that means that there are no fill and drain plug.

And I'm perplexed as you are contradicting yourself or I'm mis-interpreting what you wrote. The overflow plug hole IS IN THE drain hole. So, it's an oxymoron of sorts to say "There's no drain hole" and then "fluid has to go in to the overflow plug ~".

I'm looking for documentations to do this procedure. Do you have a source where you are getting your information from ?

- - - Updated - - -

So.....I now know it has a drain plug. (See https://www.partshyundai.com/auto-parts/2011/hyundai/genesis/3-8-trim/3-8l-v6-gas-engine/maintenance-and-lubrication-cat/automatic-transmission-scat )

There must be a fill plug then..... Oh and also notice that there is no "overflow plug". So, I guess it would be an drop and replace with same amount of ATF........ LOVELY.

I'm tempted to just pay for an Service Manual now.

- - - Updated - - -

OK more update : ATF, I'm 99% certain is this ..

https://www.partshyundai.com/oem-parts/hyundai-aisin-atf-quart-genesis-nws963-0023219016