Any of you have a headliner/sunroof noise issue?

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I got my car about 2 months ago and it's really annoying (something is wrong with the clip i think). I went to the service centre and because I'm the first one, they don't know what to do.
t's an issue in korea and the people who were in charge of sunroof/headliner would come and fix it for them but I don't know what they will do in here.

I doubt they will do that, and according to people who had this problem it would make the noise again and again (unless they change the whole headliner).
I'm just scared because the mechanic said he had never done this type of fixing ( i hope it doesnt get worse).
anyways I'll see how it goes and tell you guys the results!

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Pics? Which model do you have?
I didn't take a video but the mechanics were riding with me and they heard it so it's ok. I'll take it next time it's a clicky sound. I think there's a clip holding the headliner and the car chassis and that one's probably broken.
I have 3.3 sport model.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Man, I hope it isn't a common problem. Best of luck with it getting fixed properly. On a brand new car, they should make it right for you, even if it requires a new headliner. Unfortunately, these are the kinds of annoying little problems that can show up on a new model.

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
I didn't take a video but the mechanics were riding with me and they heard it so it's ok. I'll take it next time it's a clicky sound. I think there's a clip holding the headliner and the car chassis and that one's probably broken.
I have 3.3 sport model.
When i got a quote to get the shark fin on the roof wrapped my guy said that the headliner in this car would be an incredible bitch to remove or even mess around with as there would definitly be high risk of broken clips and he did not recommend the work. Maybe Genesis went a little to elaborate with the headliner restraint ??

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I usually have my stereo fairly loud so I haven't noticed anything, but will try to listen for it.

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm just mad at genesis how slow they are... I dropped off the car today (it's my second time so i was assuming that they would fix it) and they're saying that they do hear the noise but they can't do anything until genesis canada tells them what to do. What was the point of taking the car again if they can't fix the prolbem? I also mentioned that my right paddle shift has a gap and some buttons are not sticking well that i can fill the spring ( hard to explain) and they are saying that they can order new buttons but I might have to pay for it. I know I'm unlucky with these problems but I don't feel genesis as a luxury brand (they share everything with hyundai atm, I had to go to hyundai dealershop to see the manager and drop off the car). It's been a month complaining and they are doing nothing. Maybe I should've returned a car and waited for another one when I found a huge wrinkle in the drivers seat (another problem for me that I dont think they'll do anything)... My salesman is trying to help me as well but seems like they are ignoring him as well...
I'm just sad... I know writing it here won't do anything but I just wanted to share it to you guys/ future customers. :cry:

WHAT SHOULD I SUPPOSED TO DO? WHY ME!!!!

canucklehead604

Hasn't posted much yet...
West Coast Canada
^ this is concerning. not so much the particular problem (although that is not good), rather the response from the dealer/genesis Canada. it does raise doubts about the ability to adequately service and repair G70 issues. hopefully this is due to the new-ness of the model and Genesis (Korea) will support to provide service bulletins or training for local CAD service centres. the upshot for now is there is a risk to new owners.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Dang... I'm sorry you're having these issues! Is it possible to take it to another dealership nearby and see if they give you the same runaround? Or maybe at least call another dealership and see what they say? Either way, if I were in the same situation I'd be frustrated as well. Thank you for sharing your experience thus far.

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dang... I'm sorry you're having these issues! Is it possible to take it to another dealership nearby and see if they give you the same runaround? Or maybe at least call another dealership and see what they say? Either way, if I were in the same situation I'd be frustrated as well. Thank you for sharing your experience thus far.
I've contacted genesis Canada and this is what they told me to do. It's still under hyundai so the service quality isn't there yet. The technicians are from hyundai, and the managers are all from local hyundai dealers, which means they don't really care. I just dont understand the system. I regret getting genesis now.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've contacted genesis Canada and this is what they told me to do. It's still under hyundai so the service quality isn't there yet. The technicians are from hyundai, and the managers are all from local hyundai dealers, which means they don't really care. I just dont understand the system. I regret getting genesis now.
The service quality depends on trained, knowledgeable technician and that is true for any brand. They get a paycheck so they should care and take pride in their work. Sounds like you need a face to face sit down with the service manager and/or his boss. You deserve better so press forward.

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sorry you're going through these hassles and appreciate your sharing your experience with us.

There are risks associated with a new model, unfortunately. Hopefully, your experience will help them figure out how to remedy these issues both for your car and for any others that show similar problems. I understand your frustration at being the "pioneer" who has to be the first to work with the repair folks as they figure out how to solve these issues. But I very much appreciate your sharing your experience with us all.

Toronto driver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ this is concerning. not so much the particular problem (although that is not good), rather the response from the dealer/genesis Canada. it does raise doubts about the ability to adequately service and repair G70 issues. hopefully this is due to the new-ness of the model and Genesis (Korea) will support to provide service bulletins or training for local CAD service centres. the upshot for now is there is a risk to new owners.
Sorry you're going through these hassles and appreciate your sharing your experience with us.

There are risks associated with a new model, unfortunately. Hopefully, your experience will help them figure out how to remedy these issues both for your car and for any others that show similar problems. I understand your frustration at being the "pioneer" who has to be the first to work with the repair folks as they figure out how to solve these issues. But I very much appreciate your sharing your experience with us all.
This is well known issue in korea and i even gave them pictures of what the problem is and how to repair it that genesis korea showed. I'll call today again and tell them to please call genesis korea.

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
This is well known issue in korea and i even gave them pictures of what the problem is and how to repair it that genesis korea showed. I'll call today again and tell them to please call genesis korea.
3.3T Sport here as well - same issue I believe. Would you mind sending me the information you provided to your dealer so I could do the same? A piece of chrome came delivered with glue on it that when washed off scratched the chrome so they're replacing this next week. I'd like to get them to look at the sunroof/headliner at the same time. Thanks!

Buckdes

Damn, not good news on the service front, i am hoping it may be just that dealer as so far my edmonton buyung experience has been great but have not had any service or repair done, i was told that it will be special Genesis technicians doing service and repair work...

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
To update, they replaced the chrome piece and it looks great, no issues. Unfortunately they were unable to hear the noise... seems like dealerships never do in my experience unless you go on a ride with the tech.

I haven't pursued the issue further as I don't feel like driving down to the dealership to go on a ride, though it is definitely an annoyance.

Having said that, the valet service was excellent. They picked my car up from work, left a loaner, and dropped off my car at my house later the same day so no complaints there. The service manager at Hyundai was nice and it was painless to set up the repair.

Buckdes

T
To update, they replaced the chrome piece and it looks great, no issues. Unfortunately they were unable to hear the noise... seems like dealerships never do in my experience unless you go on a ride with the tech.

I haven't pursued the issue further as I don't feel like driving down to the dealership to go on a ride, though it is definitely an annoyance.

Having said that, the valet service was excellent. They picked my car up from work, left a loaner, and dropped off my car at my house later the same day so no complaints there. The service manager at Hyundai was nice and it was painless to set up the repair.
Thanks for the followup, sucks about the headliner noise, i know my guy that does my car wraps said he did not want to do my roof because the fin antenna can only be accessed through the headliner but it would be hell to remove and deal with as well as the clips that hold it are pretty fragile

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
T

Thanks for the followup, sucks about the headliner noise, i know my guy that does my car wraps said he did not want to do my roof because the fin antenna can only be accessed through the headliner but it would be hell to remove and deal with as well as the clips that hold it are pretty fragile
I wonder why they would put a beautiful and probably not cheap headliner in and then cheap out on securing it properly? Honestly, what could the cost have been to put in some better quality clips? a nickel per car? Even if they sell one million of them around the world, that's only $50,000.... obviously not even an afterthought for such a huge company...

I guess it is possible that the Alcantara headliner is heavier than a traditional headliner so the installation is stressing the normal clips they use and they didn't even realize it would be an issue...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.