Any reason to buy a CPO 2016 vs CPO 2015?

fungo45

Getting familiar with the group...
Chicago burbs
I've been looking for a CPO 2016 with ultimate package. I'm seeing a lot more options with the 2015 model year.
All else being equal (mileage, condition, etc) is there any main reason not to save a few grand and get the 2015?

The 2016 obviously has another year left of warranty, and from what I've read here, has 60k of electronic warranty vs 36k on the '15. Other than that, is there anything specific to the 2015 that I should be aware of?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The 2016 obviously has another year left of warranty, and from what I've read here, has 60k of electronic warranty vs 36k on the '15. Other than that, is there anything specific to the 2015 that I should be aware of?
I think the extra warranty on the 2016 trumps anything you could say in favor of the 2015, including a lower price.

fungo45

Chicago burbs
I'm not sure that the extra warranty is worth 3-4 grand though. Especially since it will still have the 100k power train warranty. Might be better off spending the savings on an extended warranty.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've been looking for a CPO 2016 with ultimate package. I'm seeing a lot more options with the 2015 model year.
All else being equal (mileage, condition, etc) is there any main reason not to save a few grand and get the 2015?

Ony reason is warranty difference. Otherwise, same car.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Not sure about USA models, but in Canada the only difference between 15 and 16 was the lack of an automatic rear window screen on the 15 (but it was back on the 16 and was on the previous models to 15).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not sure about USA models, but in Canada the only difference between 15 and 16 was the lack of an automatic rear window screen on the 15 (but it was back on the 16 and was on the previous models to 15).
My US 15 had it at least on the Ultimate.

daviderle

Registered Member
I just went through buying a 15 & 16 in December, other considerations that where used when selecting both Vehicles:

• Number of owners? One owner, used as rental vs fleet car, if so was it a lease?
  • Service history of each vehicle
  • Vehicle history including any damage or accidents reported (full car fax report)?
  • Condition of the inside, including any stains, leather cuts, creases or cracks.
  • Condition of the outside, scraches, dings, does the paint glimmer under the sun or a phone led flash light? Or does it look dull? (Which could indicate Paint problems, covered only up to 36k/3 years in the states).
  • is the engine bay kept clean? tires condition, any wheel damage including curb rashes?
Finally, one thing that is offen over looked regarding warranty (at least in the states) is the warranty commences from first registration date, and is not related to the model year, for example a 2015 that was registered in 2016, Actually has a longer CPO warranty than a 2016 that was registered in late 2015.

I hope this helps and good luck.

daviderle

Registered Member
I forgot to mention, in the states, the CPO warranty explicitly mentions that it covers 100k/10 year power train and excludes everything else, unless one buys a wrap platinum warrenty which then covers all electronics/everything else, but not the paint, wheels, tire damage, ‘wearable’ items etc.
Not sure how this translates to Canadas’ used market, but it might be worth looking into getting a clean 2015, saving some money and spending some of that on a decent wrap warrenty,
Just my two cents as YMMV.

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Duh, the badge on the trunk lid! ;-)
After much fretting I went with a '16 for two reasons... the warranty thing and the fact that Consumer Reports (or perhaps someone else who tracks these things) said that there are more reports of problems from the '15. But that may just be because there has been more time to report in. But truthfully, it was probably the trunk badging.

daviderle

Registered Member
I tried to get a 2016 5.0 which came in one trim, but I found that they where as rare as (the exactly same optioned) 2015 5.0 ultimate, so I had to be content with a 2015 base/tech 5.0, so I missed out on the HUD, 9.2” HD screen, 17 speaker system and the auto close trunk, but I did get the Apple/Android integration as a conceliation prize.
Although I do enjoy these bits in Mrs car, I do find myself getting addicted to the Car Play in my daily driver.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
I think the extra warranty on the 2016 trumps anything you could say in favor of the 2015, including a lower price.
Get a 2016. The newer, the better. 2016 CPO is the way to go.

I'm not sure that the extra warranty is worth 3-4 grand though. Especially since it will still have the 100k power train warranty. Might be better off spending the savings on an extended warranty.
Yes, yes it is. The head unit in these cars are worth $2400. Add labor to that, your at $3k. 24k more miles is a lot.

fungo45

Chicago burbs
Get a 2016. The newer, the better. 2016 CPO is the way to go.

Yes, yes it is. The head unit in these cars are worth $2400. Add labor to that, your at $3k. 24k more miles is a lot.
Okay, but I still think the 2015 with an extended warranty (wrap platinum) is still less than the 2016 with no extended warranty

crizzlec

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
OR if you can find a 2015 that was sold late in 2015, i.e. after the 2016's had already gone on sales you can get the best of both worlds. Save a bit of $ on the vehicle and add the CPO Platinum wrap and get another 7 years of bumper to bumper coverage.

STL_Genesis

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I am looking at CPO 2015 and CPO 2016. I want to ID the model year differences...

This site 2016 Hyundai Genesis reported the updates for 2016 to be headlight and foglight based.
Changes for 2016
  • Standard HID headlights and LED running lights
  • Available LED fog lights for the Genesis 3.8

This site page (what seems like an old blog post) https://www.carolinahyundai.com/blog/2016-hyundai-genesis-pricing-update/ has a slightly longer list.
Updates for 2016 Genesis include:
  • Standard LED daytime running lights
  • HID headlamps
  • Automatic emergency breaking
  • Head’s-up display
  • Blind spot detection
  • Cabin CO2 sensor
  • Lane-keep assist
I have only been looking at ultimates, so all the safety stuff might not have been standard on some 2015's. I guess the longer list just seems off to me. Anyone know of an accurate source for manufacturing differences of note?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
I am looking at CPO 2015 and CPO 2016. I want to ID the model year differences...

This site 2016 Hyundai Genesis reported the updates for 2016 to be headlight and foglight based.
Changes for 2016
  • Standard HID headlights and LED running lights
  • Available LED fog lights for the Genesis 3.8

This site page (what seems like an old blog post) https://www.carolinahyundai.com/blog/2016-hyundai-genesis-pricing-update/ has a slightly longer list.
Updates for 2016 Genesis include:
  • Standard LED daytime running lights
  • HID headlamps
  • Automatic emergency breaking
  • Head’s-up display
  • Blind spot detection
  • Cabin CO2 sensor
  • Lane-keep assist
I have only been looking at ultimates, so all the safety stuff might not have been standard on some 2015's. I guess the longer list just seems off to me. Anyone know of an accurate source for manufacturing differences of note?
I can tell you the longer list is all present on 2015 Ultimates with the exception of the LED DRLs.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Question, do the LED running lights just make the white LED accent lights turn amber during daylight hours?
I ask this because I finally saw an Genesis( or G80) with amber DRL that was not the amber signal bulbs like on my 2015 5.0. However, the normally white LED accent lights was amber. I really did not like that look.:(

I prefer just having the signal lights being amber, not the LED accent lights.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Question, do the LED running lights just make the white LED accent lights turn amber during daylight hours?
I ask this because I finally saw an Genesis( or G80) with amber DRL that was not the amber signal bulbs like on my 2015 5.0. However, the normally white LED accent lights was amber. I really did not like that look.:(

I prefer just having the signal lights being amber, not the LED accent lights.
Like most cars with LED running lights, they turn amber as the turn signal. Then back to while.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.