Any RWD owners in Snow/Icy regions?

devo848

I was strongly considering buying the RWD 6sp manual (Canada), however the dealer does not have winter tires on their demo model and will not let me test drive it in snow. I live in Montreal so it is always snowy and icy...

Has anyone bought the RWD that uses it as a daily driver? Any feedback?

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I switch to sport mode with my AWD and turn off traction control and stability control as times. Basically RWD at that point and it's lots of fun!! (In Winnipeg)

I'm sure it would be fine...

soundman414

Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
When I get mine, I am going with RWD and I live in Chicago. I currently have a BRZ I drive year round with summer and winter tires and have for 5 years now. Just a couple weeks ago I drove through a blizzard on I94 and it was unplowed, to go to the North American International Auto Show and the car was fine. RWD is lighter and cheaper in the G70 and so long as you get yourself a good set of winter tires, you have nothing to worry about.

steintm12

Registered Member
IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
When I get mine, I am going with RWD and I live in Chicago. I currently have a BRZ I drive year round with summer and winter tires and have for 5 years now. Just a couple weeks ago I drove through a blizzard on I94 and it was unplowed, to go to the North American International Auto Show and the car was fine. RWD is lighter and cheaper in the G70 and so long as you get yourself a good set of winter tires, you have nothing to worry about.
Good to hear. I am also looking to get a RWD (6MT) for year round use in Chicago (suburbs). Everything I've read tells me it will be fine with winter tires, but I'm still a little apprehensive since I've never owned RWD before.

soundman414

Chicago, IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Good to hear. I am also looking to get a RWD (6MT) for year round use in Chicago (suburbs). Everything I've read tells me it will be fine with winter tires, but I'm still a little apprehensive since I've never owned RWD before.
The biggest things I've learned from driving RWD in the snow/winter is adjusting the throttle gently and precisely, steering with care and not overreacting with your inputs... these really only apply when it is icy or really snowy... which in Chicago is only a handful of days, as they do a relatively good job of plowing and salting the roads. Your first winter in the car, after a big snow, find an unplowed parking lot and practice. Try emergency maneuvers where the car loses traction and modulate the throttle, brake and steering to get it back under control or come to a controllable stop. I did this my first winter to really get to know the car.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Your first winter in the car, after a big snow, find an unplowed parking lot and practice. Try emergency maneuvers where the car loses traction and modulate the throttle, brake and steering to get it back under control or come to a controllable stop. I did this my first winter to really get to know the car.
IMO, this is THE BEST advice for snow driving on ANY car! Knowing how your car behaves in slippery conditions is invaluable - it's also a lot of fun (obviously).

But, just be careful and don't let any cops catch you, they frown upon it. Find a place that is out of the way. Though, personally, I would try to argue my way out of a ticket if it came down to it, as learning how to control your car this way is for safety.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have RWD, 6MT, and am in Canada out west. I have Conti winters all around. Today is our first snow day of the year so I’ll be heading out while it’s still light out to test out the setup.

I’ve driven RWD and 6MT for the past 13 years. As long as appropriate tread is on the vehicle, i’ve not yet had an issue. If we get large accumulations, i leave it parked. Always have. Ground clearance can be an issue. Vancity streets just aren’t worth the brain damage. And we only have a couple plows it seems.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I was strongly considering buying the RWD 6sp manual (Canada), however the dealer does not have winter tires on their demo model and will not let me test drive it in snow. I live in Montreal so it is always snowy and icy...

Why risk your safety? You already know that RWD is the least safe option based on where you live (winter wonderland). Get a FWD, or AWD, vehicle and stop worrying.

COToad

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Castle Rock, CO
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I drove multiple rwd 3 series with a stick. Snow tires are great help and I would recommend it, especially with rwd. The traction control these days is excellent, that along with the extra control with a stick make it pretty easy to drive around. Saying that, I would not want a rwd automatic due to the loss of clutch control for additional traction. I have adapted to awd over the years but any drive power to the front wheels durning a turn increases the likelihood of loosing steering control, so with rwd or awd there are different risks while driving.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just took the G70 out for a rip to test out drivability in the snow. We have 5-6” so far today. No issues in most circumstances. Hill starts are ok with a bit of planned slip. I turned off traction and stability control so i was better able to control slip. This is standard practice for hill starts in my experience. I turn traction back on once up to speed.

While out and about i saw 4, yes 4, separate single vehicle crashes in a 10-15 minute drive. Two pickups, one SUV, and one FWD honda. Drove past them in my RWD 6MT, properly treaded, like a champ. Braking cares not if a vehicle is RWD, FWD, AWD. Physics wins, but proper tires are king.

Cowtown

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Greater Victoria, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Eco mode goes a long way to cutting that initial spin so I would certainly suggest using that as well. Winter tires for this or any car should just be mandatory if your temps get close to freezing or lower.

Slip_Angle

Registered Member
Winnipeg
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Eco mode goes a long way to cutting that initial spin so I would certainly suggest using that as well. Winter tires for this or any car should just be mandatory if your temps get close to freezing or lower.
Why do you want to cut initial spin? That's what helps get you sideways and in the fun zone!

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned this important point. If you are going to risk your life driving in frequent snow and ice with RWD, be sure to put 200 lbs of dead weight (like sandbags) in your trunk.

My ‘12 RWD Genesis is no problem in the snow. I keep it in the garage. We don’t get much snow in Richmond, VA.

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned this important point. If you are going to risk your life driving in frequent snow and ice with RWD, be sure to put 200 lbs of dead weight (like sandbags) in your trunk.

My ‘12 RWD Genesis is no problem in the snow. I keep it in the garage. We don’t get much snow in Richmond, VA.
I just put my big chocolate lab back there...that ok?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Weight certainly helps. For decades we got by with RWD as that was the only flavor available, then FWD, then AWD. For the past 27 winters, going to work I had two long hill to go up and then down. AWD is just so far superior there is nothing to discuss.

Flat land, reasonably well plowed, sure, you can get by with RWD, but if you have hills , , ,

Carol

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Low profile tires are bad in snow and on ice. I negotiated snow tires and fancy rims into the purchase price that we’d already agreed upon. I guess they were anxious to move the car. You’d need 18” rims for your snows though. Totally worth it in terms of road controland safety, rspecially since you’re in Montreal. I believe that to maintain my purchase price that they gave me their cost on the rims and tires and perhaps increased the value of my trade in to compensate.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.