Anyone change their Battery by themselves?

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
My battery is 5 years old now, but still starts my Genesis just as quick as day one.....My question is what method did you use to save computer memory, and radio and seat presets????? It seems that I have three options.....1) Buy one of those connectors that hook up another 12V battery to your OBDII port....2) Buy one of those 9V Memory minders to plug into a 12V port.....3) Hook a 12V battery charger to the terminals under the hood...……
I've already have a battery charger, so that would be the easiest way to go...….THANKS......Bill

tprjimmi

Sustaining Member
I just changed my batteries TWICE a few weeks ago and had no problem with presets,etc. I used no alternatives, simply picked it up and replaced it. A bad alternator caused the demise of the fist battery and I'm not sure what happened to its' replacement a short time later but it was covered and everything works so...

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
I just changed my batteries TWICE a few weeks ago and had no problem with presets,etc. I used no alternatives, simply picked it up and replaced it. A bad alternator caused the demise of the fist battery and I'm not sure what happened to its' replacement a short time later but it was covered and everything works so...
……………………………………………………..
You didn't lose radio presets????....At a minimum, the battery must have been disconnected for 1 minute.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
you simply have to reprogram your radio
not a huge deal honestly. Though I am sure if you took it to the dealer or put a 12v deal on the points in the engine bay it may save the presets? not sure
the odd thing is the audio settings (bass, mid, treble) stay the same, but you loose your presets. I did not notice my seat memory changing

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Interstate Battery installed my battery last year for free when I purchased a battery from them. They hook up a power source to the OBDII port so you loose no settings. Got 10 years out of my original battery, which I was pleased with.

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
Yes. $203 for an AGM battery from Interstate...…...Walmart wants $140 for a similar AGM battery...….My dealer quoted $409.50 for a replacement. They said I might have a year's worth of life left in mine.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
I didn't get an AGM battery since that was not OEM and that saved a bunch of $. I always was under the impression the 1st Gen. Genesis had an AGM, but Interstate said it was vented out the bottom of the car and not AGM.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Just had mine done 10 days ago. Had the old one unhooked, removed, and new one hooked back up in ~1 minute and didn't lose anything in memory (seats and presets still there).

TheDr9669

Registered Member
I changed my battery out around Thanksgiving, it was fairly easy. I went with a bigger battery than the Hyundai one that was in there. (I used the second set of battery clamp holes vs the first set used by the OEM.) I now have a 950 CCA AGM battery. You could do it in the parking lot if your trunk is empty.

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
Was that an H9 AGM?? I was thinking of doing that......They are around $25 more than a H8...…$220 verses the $405 that the dealer quoted for an H8.

TheDr9669

Registered Member
That's the place and one I was looking it.....Much better than $410 for an H8 at the dealer.
If you get the same battery, heads up; The battery bracket might need to be bent a little bit as the battery case seems extra thick. (A good thing IMO.) Just be careful that you don't tighten it down so much you crack the battery case.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
an AGM battery is the best way to go for any vehicle IMO. The way they are made/work is better - they can handle various charging situations, extreme temperatures, etc better than a regular cell battery. And they cost what $30-$50 extra at Autozone and still have a 3 year warranty....100% the way to go
I have had that same Autozone AGM battery run our Tahoe (my wife drives) for 2 days on its own. The alternator had died and she neglected to tell me there was an engine light...Still the truck ran and they used the AC, normal stuff for 2 days on the battery alone.

II Kings 9:20

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I did mine at 3 years. I do it as a routine service item. I've been burned enough times on 4-5 year old batteries.

I went with an AGM for $140 on sale at Advance Auto.

I connected jumper cables to the + jump peg under the hood and used the hood latch as the ground to keep power to the presets etc.

CHuntMD

Registered Member
Maryland
Bought mine at Sams last Summer for a Jan 2011 purchase. Did not loose radio resent or have to reset the windows/sunroof. Dang heavy AGM battery.

CEH in MD

Bill K

Registered Member
Chicagoland
I guess that I have nothing to worry about when I change mine. Every time I start my car, this winter, I listen carefully to hear if it's cranking slower than usual.....5 years and 5 months old. (and getting closer to 25,000 miles)