Anyone else disappointed with the navigation app?

Zipadeedude

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #1
The graphics are great, as is the way it integrates with Bluelink, etc. But the routing has been pretty awful in my experience. Compared with Google Maps or Waze, it chooses slow routes, and traffic seems to almost never affect its decisions (I checked, and my SiriusXm traffic subscription is definitely active).

I really wish the routing was better, because the app is very chic. But I've chosen to stick with Android Auto instead. Bummer.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
You should at least make sure your settings are according to the picture below.
Recommended Route works well for me also
38B8E182-D84A-4919-995E-C9C77F7FC384.jpg

Zipadeedude

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thread starter #3
Thanks. My available settings are somewhat different from yours, but I've checked all the items and was sure to have selected Fastest Route and made sure Traffic is accounted for. Is it your experience that the routing takes current traffic into account, and does so reasonably well?

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It definitely does. Sometimes too well in that it suggests rerouting every 5 minutes when traffic keeps changing.

Windchaser

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have seen it take traffic into account in the Chicago area. However, I do think that Google has more traffic data available than the Sirius traffic data. I believe Google uses some crowd sourced data that is not available to Sirius therefore Google may have information for more surface streets. All in all I have not really had any issues with the nav system.

omegafiler

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've found the built-in NAV to be generally above average. Nice graphics and good navigation direction. But yeah, relying on Sirius traffic has always been hit or miss. It would say there is traffic, when there is not. Or notify of traffic way too late. Which hasn't really changed since I last used it over 10 years ago.

Using Google/Waze is the way to go. Even if you have to mount your phone on the dash/windshield. Although Android Auto was a big reason I went with the 2018. Couldn't justify buying a new vehicle without it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have seen it take traffic into account in the Chicago area. However, I do think that Google has more traffic data available than the Sirius traffic data. I believe Google uses some crowd sourced data that is not available to Sirius therefore Google may have information for more surface streets. All in all I have not really had any issues with the nav system.
The traffic was considered going around Wash. DC too, but it still sucked. Overall, the routing seems as good as my Garmin. I like the big screen, the next turn in the HUD and ability to find a hotel along the route.

Don88

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I miss the Freeway Exits listing and the services provided. Also, in our area is an arterial highway that at one time was the National highway, Hwy 99. When I-5 was constructed, and replaced the use of Hwy 99, Hwy 99 changed use from an Interstate road to a County road; it's now NE Hwy 99. The voice in the G80 Nav announces, "Nebraska Highway 99". I'm in the State of Washington.
One more thing; there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the location marker on the map.

Don

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The graphics are great, as is the way it integrates with Bluelink, etc. But the routing has been pretty awful in my experience. Compared with Google Maps or Waze, it chooses slow routes, and traffic seems to almost never affect its decisions (I checked, and my SiriusXm traffic subscription is definitely active).

I really wish the routing was better, because the app is very chic. But I've chosen to stick with Android Auto instead. Bummer.
Yes, it's not the best, but it's functional. I think one of the more annoying things I've had mine do is route me off a highway or expressway only to get me right back on. I think the end-game will be Waze over AA or CarPlay. It would have the benefits of not needing to for map updates while taking into account updated traffic.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, it's not the best, but it's functional. I think one of the more annoying things I've had mine do is route me off a highway or expressway only to get me right back on. I think the end-game will be Waze over AA or CarPlay. It would have the benefits of not needing to for map updates while taking into account updated traffic.
However, the only mapping app supported on Apple Carplay is App maps. You can't use Waze or Google maps over Carplay.

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
One other feature I really like about the nav system over phone apps is that the map data is stored locally. It is a pain navigating somewhere and end up having connectivity issues and the map data doesn’t update while your driving.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Well the only reason I'm still rocking an iPhone is because it works better with my non-CarPlay/AA Genesis. I'm looking forward to going back to Android when I'm done with my DH. Siri is a pain in the backside and seems to have gotten worse over time.

- - - Updated - - -

One other feature I really like about the nav system over phone apps is that the map data is stored locally. It is a pain navigating somewhere and end up having connectivity issues and the map data doesn’t update while your driving.
That's a good point.

Starflyer

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Would love to see Waze appear on dashboard screen via Apple Play. Is that possible?

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I think one of the more annoying things I've had mine do is route me off a highway or expressway only to get me right back on. I think the end-game will be Waze over AA or CarPlay. It would have the benefits of not needing to for map updates while taking into account updated traffic.
That has happened to me also. Although WAZE requires Android Auto and a cable from the phone, to the car and it takes a bit to set up, it is excellent. At first I was concerned, as WAZE directions are not displayed on the Head Up display, in reality, the directions are displayed on the driver side of the navigation screen, in very large letters and are very easy to see, at a quick glance. The system is integrated with your choice of streaming music service, which makes a nice package. WAZE relies on reports from other users and in my experience is the only true live traffic update, GPS program. I have used Acura Link and Sirus XM traffic and found them both seriously lacking, to the point they cause more problems then they help.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.