Anyone else disappointed with the navigation app?

Johnboy2k10

Registered Member
Spruce Grove, AB
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
While I would much rather have access to google maps through Apple CarPlay (hands down), Apple Maps has come a long way from its sketchy beginnings. I'd say I use it 75% of the time over the built in nav. I use the built in for longer trips, but the Apple for shorter city trips.

ReneL

Getting familiar with the group...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Nor Cal
I miss the Freeway Exits listing and the services provided.

Don
I like and still have this available on my G80 Nav system. While a route is in progress, I believe you select “details” near the bottom. Not in my car so going from my memory which can be hit or miss lol.

I have found that Sirius XM traffic data does not always seem accurate. Also, lately, when there is traffic, I don’t seem to get traffic updates with suggested alternative routes. Was thinking of calling XM customer service but haven’t felt up to spending the hour it’s likely to take on the phone.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
I have found that Sirius XM traffic data does not always seem accurate. Also, lately, when there is traffic, I don’t seem to get traffic updates with suggested alternative routes. Was thinking of calling XM customer service but haven’t felt up to spending the hour it’s likely to take on the phone.
I'm in the midst of a 3500 mile trip. On the way down, the SXM traffic did give me some alerts of a delay 5 miles ahead. I had the option of selecting an alternate route but chose not to. In Maryland there was a delay of 1 1/2 hours and it did not alert me, but once it did, told me what it was. Don't know for sure, but it may not have alerted as it was not in a coverage area. I get if right now for free, but certainly would not pay for it.

As for the navigation itself, it did everything I wanted and expected. The POIs were accurate this trip. Two roads I used a year ago still show the wrong speed limit. One is 10 mph higher so could get me a ticket. The other was 10 mph lower so, on average you can say they are accurate.

In Florida State Route 93 became I75. The highway department still uses the SR93 designation but all signs are I75. When I stopped for the night and continued the next day, the map showed that I should turn on to I75 but the verbal instruction told me to tun onto SR93. Could be confusing.

Overall, it has a couple of quirks like that but did the job of getting me here on a route i never traveled before. I really like the ability to send a destination to the car from my phone or computer. I also like the big screen and next turn in the HUD. I'd give it 4.5 stars. It works.

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver WA USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have a 2018 G-80 Ultimate and awhile back I complained that the Nav screen didn't display Exits and Rest Areas.
Update! Being a slow learner it took a while for me to find how to display the Exits and Rest Areas.
To share:
You need to have the GPS active showing a route to a destination and it will show on the Split Screen the turns of the route. Select the Details box in the right panel. The right panel will now show all Exits and Rest Areas along the route to your destination.

This is very helpful when Annie and I, with "Buddy" (7 lb Yorkie) drive down to Redondo Beach CA to visit our daughter. Those Rest Areas are a welcome site to "Buddy"; us too!

Don
Vancouver, WA

lt2211

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The iPhone version of WAZE works fine for my G80 (see photo). Magnet attaches it to vent.
Nice job, Now get a standard stereo ,miniature, audio cable, plug it in to your phone output, then the audio input jack on the Genesis system and you can stream music via WAZE through the car audio system. The music cuts out when WAZE give's directions. Pretty close to real. :)

ManiacMutt

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes, it’s already plugged in to the audio aux port (black cable invisible in photo). Charges & connects phone to system as well. However I purposely set the WAZE audio to not override my G80 audio channels, but just speak thru the iPhone.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.