Anyone have any idea what this 27mm bolt/ plug is?

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just curious. Driver side, back of the engine, under the exhaust manifold. 2015 Hyundai Genesis Sedan 5.0L V8

Attachments

• 4B42008C-8D4C-4F5A-B951-8908B4E97A87.jpeg
    4B42008C-8D4C-4F5A-B951-8908B4E97A87.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 56
  • B8F54A7E-355A-44EE-A7D0-0E10F632848A.jpeg
    B8F54A7E-355A-44EE-A7D0-0E10F632848A.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 96311F82-DE53-4720-AFE8-027474B7135D.jpeg
    96311F82-DE53-4720-AFE8-027474B7135D.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 7EEE119C-7965-4F6E-973A-5FC80DC9219C.jpeg
    7EEE119C-7965-4F6E-973A-5FC80DC9219C.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 43

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Best guess off the top of my head says that it could be a drain bolt for draining the engine coolant out of the engine block.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Nailed it.:)

Drain bolt it is. #6 on the diagram. However, not sure if it for oil or coolant. Usually it is for coolant.
1600268759566.png

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
Best guess off the top of my head says that it could be a drain bolt for draining the engine coolant out of the engine block.
I’ll take it
Nailed it.:)

Drain bolt it is. #6 on the diagram. However, not sure if it for oil or coolant. Usually it is for coolant.
View attachment 32063
I figured it was some sort of drain plug but for what I didn’t know. Thought about oil but didn’t see the point. Didn’t even think about coolant so that makes more sense. I came across it looking to see if there was some sort of access port to drain the torque converter. Wanted to do a transmission fluid drain and fill without doing a flush but get more fluid out than just a pan drop. I did a pan drop drain and fill and used Amsoil with the SP-IV-RR rating... HUGE EFFING MISTAKE. Transmission has NEVER been the same 🤬🤦🏻‍♂️ want to replace ALL transmission fluid back with Hyundai OEM trans fluid but honestly at this point I don’t think it will make a difference. Feels normal when I floor it and at high speeds hard acceleration etc. but at low speeds when I baby it, you can tell something isn’t right. Stutters like it’s not sure what to do. LESSON LEARNED.

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
I’ll take it

I figured it was some sort of drain plug but for what I didn’t know. Thought about oil but didn’t see the point. Didn’t even think about coolant so that makes more sense. I came across it looking to see if there was some sort of access port to drain the torque converter. Wanted to do a transmission fluid drain and fill without doing a flush but get more fluid out than just a pan drop. I did a pan drop drain and fill and used Amsoil with the SP-IV-RR rating... HUGE EFFING MISTAKE. Transmission has NEVER been the same 🤬🤦🏻‍♂️ want to replace ALL transmission fluid back with Hyundai OEM trans fluid but honestly at this point I don’t think it will make a difference. Feels normal when I floor it and at high speeds hard acceleration etc. but at low speeds when I baby it, you can tell something isn’t right. Stutters like it’s not sure what to do. LESSON LEARNED.
Mind you that was only replacing about 3 quarts! 🤬🤬🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I’ll take it

I never trust multi-make automatic transmission fluid, since I do not see how one fluid could be a exact match(proper friction additive,viscosity,etc.) for various designed transmissions. The fluid may work, but not well in my opinion. I would use a specific SP-IV-RR fluid only; OEM or aftermarket.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
I never trust multi-make automatic transmission fluid, since I do not see how one fluid could be a exact match(proper friction additive,viscosity,etc.) for various designed transmissions. The fluid may work, but not well in my opinion. I would use a specific SP-IV-RR fluid only; OEM or aftermarket.
I agree . I had dealer do my trans earlier this year. They only changed fluid. I wanted pan/filter changed, but for whatever reason they did not. Anyways my trans feels smoother on upshifts and downshifts. Money well spent.

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
I agree . I had dealer do my trans earlier this year. They only changed fluid. I wanted pan/filter changed, but for whatever reason they did not. Anyways my trans feels smoother on upshifts and downshifts. Money well spent.
Flush or pan drop? They probably didn’t change the filter because it’s built into the pan and they would’ve had to replace the pan and they probably just didn’t have it in stock 🤷🏻‍♂️
At least they didn’t claim they did without actually doing it like a lot of dealers 😅

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Flush or pan drop? They probably didn’t change the filter because it’s built into the pan and they would’ve had to replace the pan and they probably just didn’t have it in stock 🤷🏻‍♂️
At least they didn’t claim they did without actually doing it like a lot of dealers 😅
You are correct 2015genesisNewbie, some dealers would do such dirty practices. However I am lucky to have a good dealer I use. I actually spoke to them 2 weeks prior to trans service to verify pan/filter was in stock. Anyhow they just drained fluid and did a refill. Car had 35k on her when they did the service. That works out better this way. I got some new fluid in trans. Next Time I have them do it I will make sure they do pan and filter. Either way I felt a difference and I am happy I had it done , for I plan on keeping the car.

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
I wish I had this logic before I cheaped out and fkkkd up my buttery smooth shifts! 🤬🤦🏻‍♂️ And when I say cheaped out it was still over $100 for the amsoil fluid. But the dealer wanted like $25/qt for Hyundai fluid 😑 50k miles I should’ve just left it alone😩

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
You are correct 2015genesisNewbie, some dealers would do such dirty practices. However I am lucky to have a good dealer I use. I actually spoke to them 2 weeks prior to trans service to verify pan/filter was in stock. Anyhow they just drained fluid and did a refill. Car had 35k on her when they did the service. That works out better this way. I got some new fluid in trans. Next Time I have them do it I will make sure they do pan and filter. Either way I felt a difference and I am happy I had it done , for I plan on keeping the car.
Believe it or not, others pleasant experiences make me feel better about my shitty ones 😂

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
I
I wish I had this logic before I cheaped out and fkkkd up my buttery smooth shifts! 🤬🤦🏻‍♂️ And when I say cheaped out it was still over $100 for the amsoil fluid. But the dealer wanted like $25/qt for Hyundai fluid 😑 50k miles I should’ve just left it alone😩
I would drain and refill with Hyundai Fluid. Try it you might be happy with results. When they drained and did refill They used 7 quarts.

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
Your thoughts on that Ravenol trans fluid?

2015genesisNewbie

Registered Member
Temple, TX
Genesis Model Type
Did you replace pan/filter?
No I tried to find cheap aftermarket but the internet is so flooded with genesis coupe parts I was afraid to order the incorrect one so I just didn’t. I know luxury cars and cheap don’t mix but I really didn’t want to pay dealer price to order pan from them 😓

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
No I tried to find cheap aftermarket but the internet is so flooded with genesis coupe parts I was afraid to order the incorrect one so I just didn’t. I know luxury cars and cheap don’t mix but I really didn’t want to pay dealer price to order pan from them 😓
Online Hyundai parts store has it I believe.?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums