Anyone replace their windshield yet?

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just got a price from the dealership and they said $1,627 for the glass plus $170 install for total price of $1,797 plus tax. I called another glass place and they said they couldn't get glass yet and to go to the dealership. Now I know dealerships are bad for bending people over for windshields but this seems crazy. This is worse than was BMW charged me for a 5 series glass right after that car came out. And it had a camera and HUD too.

Keep in mind this is the same dealership that wanted to charge me over double the price on Genesis' website for a winter tire package so they likely aren't the best example of an honest dealer, but still.

So anyone have to replace yet and have a comparison price?

Either way I am waiting until ~May when all the streets are cleared of sand/gravel to actually replace it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ i think AB is different since folks commonly replace windshields on a nearly-annual basis. MOT there uses gravel/rocks for winter traction. chipped windshields galore. i lived there for three years with my car from the coast (no snow/rocks) and every time someone got in, they commented on my crack/chip-free windshield.

for this reason i don't think the insurers offer the cheap replacement coverage - they'd lose their shirts. or it wouldn't be cheap and people wouldn't buy it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
^ yup, the Coq Highway can be awesome in the summer, but brutal in the Winter. not that it gets very cold since it is still southern BC, linking Vancouver to some interior cities, but because the clouds need to drop all their precipitation to get over the mountain passes.

one of the best drives i ever had was on the Coq ~10 year ago on a Thursday afternoon in August. i was driving my G35 6MT on a road trip, and somehow ended up in a group with an M3, a Miata with a 5L 302 in it, and a Boxster. essentially no other cars on the road (which is 4-5 lanes and divided) for a ~45 minute stretch. we each took turns being the rabbit. trying to not violate any forum rules, let's just say the group made the trip a lot shorter than it normally would have been.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't give enough detail, I do have glass insurance on the G70 although I typically do not as it is not worth the price. But with this being a new model with limited numbers on the road, I knew the first windshield or two would be costly so the insurance would be worth it.

I checked an my insurance cost was $59/year and a $250 deductible for glass. So $309 is a good deal for a windshield. (y)

I was just curious if anyone else had pricing yet as it seemed crazy. Like I said it is worse that BMW prices and BMW has a bad reputation for being expensive. Makes me think this car will be expensive to maintain out of warranty.

mattthepilot03

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Was this the Edmonton one? I'm not super happy with the dealership either. Plus I need to replace the windshield...hate Edmonton rodes.

Jugi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't give enough detail, I do have glass insurance on the G70 although I typically do not as it is not worth the price. But with this being a new model with limited numbers on the road, I knew the first windshield or two would be costly so the insurance would be worth it.

I checked an my insurance cost was $59/year and a $250 deductible for glass. So $309 is a good deal for a windshield. (y)

I was just curious if anyone else had pricing yet as it seemed crazy. Like I said it is worse that BMW prices and BMW has a bad reputation for being expensive. Makes me think this car will be expensive to maintain out of warranty.
Edmguy can you PM me. I don't have enough posts yet to PM people.

Edmguy

Registered Member
Edmonton, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes this was from Edmonton Genesis. The problem with service/parts is that it goes through Southtown Hyundai and they seem to be brutal for price gouging. That is why I was asking if anyone else had quotes as I was wondering if this was just a case of a dealer marking up way too much.

I will need my 30,000km service late May so I am going to try to get the windshield changed at that time.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The dealer demo car I bought from Genesis Edmonton has a large crack in it, kind of like a reverse smiley face pattern at the bottom center of the windshield. This crack was easy enough to ignore, but it's started to zigzag it's way around the windshield originating from the original impact point. I'll hold off as long as I can replacing this windshield. Genesis Edmonton gave me the same crazy replacement price that you were quoted. I purchased the Cilajet protection package since it includes two full windshield replacements over a 10 year span, so if I can hold off as long as possible with this windshield I can get another replacement later on.

Like you I also have the glass coverage on my insurance. I'm tempted to go that route for my first windshield replacement, and then I'll have two more replacements in my back pocket over the next 10 years.

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just got mine replaced by dealership. When I took delivery of the car I thaught dirt streaks were on the winsheild as the car did not come very detailed. The next weekend I thoroughly washed the car and Mark's were still there. I then assumed it was adhesive or something so tried to remove it with a razor blade. No it was etched. Heavy to light the whole width of the wiper blade. The dealer said it must be sand since I live near the coast. I replied that I have a 18 year old vehicle and winsheild is spotless. Long story long Genesis warranty replacement.

KCHAPY

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I just got a price from the dealership and they said $1,627 for the glass plus $170 install for total price of $1,797 plus tax. I called another glass place and they said they couldn't get glass yet and to go to the dealership. Now I know dealerships are bad for bending people over for windshields but this seems crazy. This is worse than was BMW charged me for a 5 series glass right after that car came out. And it had a camera and HUD too.

Keep in mind this is the same dealership that wanted to charge me over double the price on Genesis' website for a winter tire package so they likely aren't the best example of an honest dealer, but still.

So anyone have to replace yet and have a comparison price?

Either way I am waiting until ~May when all the streets are cleared of sand/gravel to actually replace it.
Hey man, insurance broker here so if your policy has a 13d on it windshields wouldn't be covered - pretty much an auto addon in Alberta.

I would suggest to talk to your broker to get AMI glass coverage once you repair it this time, it's basically about $400 a year for unlimited replacements at $50 a pop

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.