• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Anything new with keyfobs / keys? Dealer wants $657

jmac404

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My 2013 Genesis came with one fob and no brass/physical key. I stopped by the dealer thinking a few hundred bucks for a replacement.. Nope. $657.

What are my options? I've read about this GDI/OBD tool that is similar to what hyundai uses, however it sounds like (at least as of 2015-2016 era) there was not a guarantee that a fob would be on the correct frequency for the car. So there's a risk of ordering a fob and it not working.

US$118.00 - Best Price GDS VCI for KIA & HYUNDAI with Trigger Module Firmware V2.24 Software V19

jmac404

Genesis Model Type
Okay, two dealerships and a bunch of research.

I found a parts guy (dealer) who was very nice and suggested a place called express car keys. Apparently the dealership itself uses them pretty often. You have to drive and meet them around town but they can do it for $165, and this is with an OEM (not knockoff) key. I'll update after it's done

Last edited:

jlindh

Registered Member
I bought an exact match fob for my 2012 4.6 from keylessentryremotefob.com. Their site currently lists the fob for $77.77. You'll need a locksmith to cut the key.

jmac404

Genesis Model Type
The car keys express place went well. It was $160 inc tax all-in.

The dealer wanted 1 hour ($120) to do any programming period and warned that some of the ebay keys won't pair, and if there's an issue I don't get a refund. I saw that you can get ebay keys for around $40, but it's the same price as car keys express so why risk it.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums