• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Apple CarPlay/Android Auto is not available on the 1st generation G90

Bbypnda

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Due to this subject being discussed quite frequently, and to prevent additional unnecessary threads, the subject of G90 and CarPlay/android auto is as follows:

The 1st gen G90 does not have CarPlay/AA and will most likely not get CarPlay/AA. There has been a lot of speculation and debate over the topic including power requirements, hardware incompatibility, software development cost, etc.

You’re welcome to search for CarPlay in the forum to find the numerous thread but please do not start new threads regarding CarPlay/AA unless you have an official communication from genesis saying that we’re getting it as an update. 😉

Thanks!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Due to this subject being discussed quite frequently, and to prevent additional unnecessary threads, the subject of G90 and CarPlay/android auto is as follows:

The 1st gen G90 does not have CarPlay/AA and will most likely not get CarPlay/AA. There has been a lot of speculation and debate over the topic including power requirements, hardware incompatibility, software development cost, etc.

You’re welcome to search for CarPlay in the forum to find the numerous thread but please do not start new threads regarding CarPlay/AA unless you have an official communication from genesis saying that we’re getting it as an update. 😉

Thanks!

Thanks. A much need period to end this topic. As you say, no more needs to be said (even though I guess I just said a little more).

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I still struggle with the question of whether these software systems should even be put in a luxury car. It goes against the theme of trying to create bespoke luxury and creating an environment that demonstrates it has been fully thought out and planned.

Slapping in AA and ACP goes against this idea greatly.

I still wish they would work on a luxury engineered smartphone holding system right beside the start button of the car. Would allow for portrait and landscape. I’d rather use the phone, have it at my finger tips and have it charging than AA or ACP.

All I need is Bluetooth streaming and to work flawlessly and Waze to play over the speakers when a cop is up ahead...the rest I really believe I would prefer to use my phone instead of messing with the G90’s pretty incredible Infotainment System.

It is not like AA or ACP really allows you to do anything cool anyway. You can’t stream movies or play games so what is the point.

AA and ACP will not take the place of the Google search button in the mirror.

Give me an awesomely engineered smart phone swivel holder right next to the smart button with pop in templates for various phones....make it solid, quiet, and seamless to the style of the car!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I still struggle with the question of whether these software systems should even be put in a luxury car. It goes against the theme of trying to create bespoke luxury and creating an environment that demonstrates it has been fully thought out and planned.

I agree with you about this. But

Give me an awesomely engineered smart phone swivel holder right next to the smart button with pop in templates for various phones....make it solid, quiet, and seamless to the style of the car!

I honestly done think this is possible. It’s always going to look like something tacked on and out of place. I guess you can wish.

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I agree with you about this. But

I honestly done think this is possible. It’s always going to look like something tacked on and out of place. I guess you can wish.

it's possible, Lexus did it with the ct200h, they put a spot on the console that was designed to hold business cards or the key fob, and for some extra money you could by a phone dock that snapped into the spot:

See the source image

See the source image

Mr. Incredible

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Fiat did it as well with the first edition of the 500: little spot on the dash a mount snapped into, they had a general mount phones and specific mounts for a variety of GPS units:

s-l300.jpg

See the source image

farandaway

Registered Member
The problem is that many new car buyers today will not buy a car if it doesn't have CarPlay or Android Auto. It is table stakes at this point, and if every other car model has it and you don't it's going to be difficult to sell the car, whether luxury or not. If it doesn't feel premium enough for the driver, the driver can choose not to use it at all.

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
Buyers are stupid! They don’t know what they want.

They only know it when they see it.

All of the phone holders above are awful.

I am talking about a factory indentation in the dashboard right beside the start button; you know so your thumb can hang on the steering wheel and the fingers can still touch the phone and activate the security sensor for thumbs or eyes, or better yet, know that you are in your fricken car driving and turn the security off or for the necessary dopamine release too.

You just plop it in the factory rectangle indentation and vacuum holes hold it there until silicon micro airbags surround the phone like hovercraft bags, centering the phone perfectly and lastly wireless charging, or the little lightning or micro USB auto-slides right into the charging port even if you have a 1” thick Otter Box. A voice command of landscape or portrait automatically swivels the phone....the phone can also telescope in an out for stubby fingers.

Nothing like this exists, and you could get rid of the start button for the needed real estate. If the phone is in the car; it starts. Who travels without their phone on purpose anyway? And if the car starts your phone should know to fire up Waze, the music App of choice and as said above turn off the security while connected to the car.

This prevents the beautiful navigation map not getting bastardized with the shitty version of Apple Play’s Apple Maps or the crappy Google maps.

Hold down the steering button to get Siri, Ok Google, or Alexa just doesn’t work - well...pauses are too long and it is like talking with a satellite delay.

Some car designer please work on this for cars instead of AA and Apple Car Play.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The problem is that many new car buyers today will not buy a car if it doesn't have CarPlay or Android Auto. It is table stakes at this point, and if every other car model has it and you don't it's going to be difficult to sell the car, whether luxury or not. If it doesn't feel premium enough for the driver, the driver can choose not to use it at all.

And which 2019 Genesis does not have CarPlay?

sjwalt

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Jose, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have a 2019 G90 Ultimate and an Apple Xs iPhone. Bluetooth communication between the two works just fine. Apple's website for Apple CarPlay indicates that Apple CarPlay is supported on the 2019 G90. So I tried it and I can't seem to get it to work. It's not a big deal for me, but I am just confused about whether or not the feature (Apple CarPlay) is available on my car or not. Am I missing something? I also tried cable connecting the iPhone via USB and still nothing. Anybody know what's going on? I repeat, bluetooth connection between the two works just fine.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Deleted

Last edited:

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have a 2019 G90 Ultimate and an Apple Xs iPhone. Bluetooth communication between the two works just fine. Apple's website for Apple CarPlay indicates that Apple CarPlay is supported on the 2019 G90. So I tried it and I can't seem to get it to work. It's not a big deal for me, but I am just confused about whether or not the feature (Apple CarPlay) is available on my car or not. Am I missing something? I also tried cable connecting the iPhone via USB and still nothing. Anybody know what's going on? I repeat, bluetooth connection between the two works just fine.

CarPlay only works via a USB cable NOT Bluetooth. Did you try it with a cable plugged into car data usb connection (where the wireless charger is). You know you have the correct port if you turn off Bluetooth and can’t still play music from your phone via the cable.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mr. Incredible

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

2019 Korean G90 = 2020 US G90

Mr. Incredible

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I am not sure I understand. Are you saying that you think CarPlay is not available on a 2019 G90 Ultimate?.

yeah I thought Carplay was only announced for the new Gen2 which is a 2019 in Korea, and a 2020 in the US.

sjwalt

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Jose, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Yes, I tried the USB cable & it still doesn't work. Since I have a US-version 2019 G90, I apparently don't have a vehicle capable of Apple CarPlay. Didn't realize that until I read Mr. Incredible's comment (above).

dgt228

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I just read that the latest version of Apple CarPlay now works with the 2019 Genesis G90. Has anyone tried it and did it work? I'm on vacation in Hawaii and won't be able to try it for two more weeks.

sjwalt

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Jose, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I tried it (see above) on a US version 2019 G90 in July and it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't know what the terminology 'Gen 1, Gen 2,' etc. means. I go by year of manufacture (2019) and model (g90).

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I just read that the latest version of Apple CarPlay now works with the 2019 Genesis G90. Has anyone tried it and did it work? I'm on vacation in Hawaii and won't be able to try it for two more weeks.
So where did you read that?

It’s on the US 2020 G90 Ultimate which is the Korean 2019 model
So I doubt your 2019 G90 Ultimate will have it. If I were you I wouldn’t rush back from Hawaii.