Are these brakes looking normal?

Vaidhy

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Thread starter #1
Today, when I was checking fluids and tire pressure I noticed that my front brakes look different from rear ones. I also do not recall seeing them this way in the past couple of months I have owned the car. Can someone tell me if they look as they should and if I am not looking at warped housing in front? I am not very knowledgeable in brakes and wheel components so I greatly appreciate the help.

Attachments

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It's not clear to me when your purchased the car.

Looks like a lot of rust due to road salt and chemicals. I would not say it is normal, but I don't live where snow or ice is a problem. Sometimes if a brake job is done, the tech gets brake fluid on the surfaces that have paint and protective coating (removing both of them), and rust becomes more of a problem.

As far as warped, if you rotors are warped your brakes will pulsate when applied. Otherwise should be OK.

Vaidhy

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #3
It's not clear to me when your purchased the car. Looks like a lot of rust due to road salt and chemicals. I would not say it is normal, but I don't live where snow or ice is a problem.
I purchased the car 2 months ago in New Jersey from a dealer and I think the previous owner lived in the tri-state area so the car has definitely seen a lot of snow and salt.

As far as warped, if you rotors are warped your brakes will pulsate when applied. Otherwise should be OK.
The do not pulsate while braking. The housing behind the front discs look warped to me at least while comparing with the rear and that prompted this post. Thanks for your help Mark!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I purchased the car 2 months ago in New Jersey from a dealer and I think the previous owner lived in the tri-state area so the car has definitely seen a lot of snow and salt.
They look typical of brakes in the north. Did you photograph them after sitting all night? They can rust overnight in the right conditions and clean up after a couple of stops. As long as you have meat on the pads and no pulsating you should be OK.

Vaidhy

Genesis Model Type
Thread starter #5
They look typical of brakes in the north. Did you photograph them after sitting all night? They can rust overnight in the right conditions and clean up after a couple of stops. As long as you have meat on the pads and no pulsating you should be OK.
Yep, and the pads were replaced by the dealer just before I bought the car according to the service records. The brakes work really well too. Thank you EdP!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yep, and the pads were replaced by the dealer just before I bought the car according to the service records. The brakes work really well too. Thank you EdP!
Just as I suspected in my post above. While performing the brake job and bleeding the brakes, the technician probably got brake fluid on the parts, which will quickly remove paint and protecting coating on anything it touches, thus leading to rusting of those parts.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.