• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

ARRRRGHHHHH bent a rim!

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I hit a nasty f$%king pothole on my way to work this morning (dark/wet street, didn't even see the damn thing) and have ended up with a bent rim. Has anyone experienced this before? The car didn't show any obvious trouble signs immediately, but it was only a minute or two away from work at that point. I have Fast wheels for my winter setup, I'll look around locally for somewhere that can repair the wheel.

Has anyone had a bent rim repaired before? How were the results aesthetically and functionally? I'm tempted just to try to get a replacement rim instead since they don't cost a ton, the whole set was only in the neighborhood of $1000 CDN or so.
20200303_062018.jpg

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don't think you can fix a bent rim. Integrity might be compromised. I think you can only fix scratches/marks, etc.

If the rim is not to bad...perhaps you can keep it and hopefully it can be re-balanced somehow. Clean it up so it's not so obvious.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I cracked an alloy rim on a Volvo a few years ago. Tire would not hold air was the clue. Rim shop did quality weld and I ran it for a month or two until I decided to buy a new wheel and use the repaired one as a spare. Sold the car with the repaired wheel on car and then sold new-ish wheel on Ebay.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I cracked an alloy rim on a Volvo a few years ago. Tire would not hold air was the clue. Rim shop did quality weld and I ran it for a month or two until I decided to buy a new wheel and use the repaired one as a spare. Sold the car with the repaired wheel on car and then sold new-ish wheel on Ebay.
I'm thinking of doing something similar, getting the rim repaired for the time being, and buying a new one after winter is over. I would then keep the repaired rim as a spare afterwards. I can't safely run my summer setup for another couple months unfortunately as we tend to get snow even going into May here from time to time.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Don't fret. You can absolutely have a bent rim repaired and it will be as good as new. There are various shops in my area that perform this service and I'm would be surprised if there were none in your area. They will even repair broken aluminum rims by welding new aluminum pieces into the wheel and then grinding/machining the wheel back to specs.

I've not had a bent rim repaired, but a curbed rim of mine was repaired. While there, the owner showed me a broken rim that was in the process of being repaired. I was surprised just how much damage is able to be repaired on aluminum rims!

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I got my repaired rim back from the shop that did the work for me, and the visual result was decent but not perfect. I could likely live with the small visible defect but a bigger issue popped up in that the tire is losing air pressure now. It's a decent size leak, about 1 psi/hour or so. Thankfully I have easy access to compressed air at home and at work so I can top the tire up before each drive for the weekend. The shop owner said they will try to repair the rim again on Monday, hopefully it holds air properly this time. 20200307_144603.jpg

johnny3fingers

Registered Member
North Wales, Pensyltuckey
Genesis Model Type
The biggest issue with a repair is the integrity of the wheel after a repair. I personally don't think a repair is worth it, particularly on a less expensive wheel. A new wheel is about $200, which is roughly the same price as a repair.
would love to know where youre buying wheels.
Mine were $400 ea......if I ever curb or hit a pothole $125-$150 repair/paint is the way I am going.
Ive had a few wheels repaired and you would never know unless I told you and never had a safety issue with any of them

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thought I'd offer up a final update, after getting the wheel worked on again the repair shop said they patched up a leak from the tire itself. The leak is slowed down, but unfortunately the wheel/tire are still leaking a tiny amount. It seems impossible to tell if the issue is the wheel or the tire at this point. I think I'll get the tire remounted on a new rim if I can get my hands on one, I ordered it directly from Genesis originally, hopefully they can still obtain another one for me.

ft55555

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
would love to know where youre buying wheels.
Mine were $400 ea......if I ever curb or hit a pothole $125-$150 repair/paint is the way I am going.
Ive had a few wheels repaired and you would never know unless I told you and never had a safety issue with any of them
This site has the sport rims for $300:

Genesis G70 2019 19" OEM Front Wheel Rim

16UltV6Guy

I quit!!!!
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Jax, FL
Genesis Model Type
^Nice! I think that's the best deal yet on OEM rims.
Please note that those are NOT brand new rims. They apparently are factory oem rims, but are not brand new. The following quote is from the "product description" page of that link:
"The wheel has been professionally refinished to like new condition in both quality and performance..."

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums