ATF Redline D6............

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
.....Ok so i go to the local Genesis Dealer for a transmission flush.....had to meet with a service advisor ( what a waste )...He begins by asking me what could he do for me..... i inform him that im here for a transmission flush and that my car calls for ATF Shell 1375.4 and 10.1 quarts....i ask him to check b4 they pull my car in to make sure they have the fluids ( why waste my time ) so b4 he goes check hes says and i quote " oh a 2009 4.6 v8 that takes the exspensive ATF " ....oh boy here we go with the B.S.........he returns about 10 minutes later to tell me they have 8 quarts.....thats right 8.......so i say to him well i guess then i CANT get a COMPLETE flush to which he states and i quote again " well they can do it but they wont flush it all out "....WTF do i look like WILLY DUMB DUMB...........and i asked him how much for the whole job........$850.........I kindly told him ....HAVE A NICE DAY as I walked out...NEVER EVER TO RETURN
........so i been on a search half the day for Shell 1375.4 even went to another genesis dealer who had none, so after researching i find REDLINE D6 is where im goinig once it arrives wednesday and since i now have the shop manual........They can kiss my azz.......

.....Like they used to say....If you want something done right....DO IT YOURSELF !

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
You have the ZF 6 speed auto which most people agree needs to be filled with fluid made for the ZF 6 speeds, like Ravenol 6HP fluid or ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid, some people use other fluids and sometimes it's fine, sometimes they have issues.

Also a complete flush requires a special machine to do that and can be hard on the transmission and has been known to cause issues in some cases. the 8 quarts they were talking about was probably for a drain and fill which is what most people do and is pretty simple, the trans filter is also intigrated into the trans pan so to change that you have to change the entire pan for a new one. The fill procedure is a little tricky but is much easier with 2 people and having all the right tools (like a way to check the trans fluid temp while the engine is running).

The reason they are charging $850 is because it's a dealership, they use all OEM parts and fluids with there additional mark up plus they are going to have a higher labor rate over any non-dealer shop, that's just how the world works. it's probably not much cheaper to have the same work done on any other luxury sedan these days.

I just recently did a drain/fill and filter service on my 190k mile 4.6. It's really not that hard to do, just make sure you go over the procedure a few times to make sure you do everything the right way so you get the correct fluid level in the trans when you're done. it's easy to get it wrong.

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
......im going to drop the drain pan once drained , replace it and fill it up with that Redline d6, which states its for the genesis 4.6 on their website ( which really doesnt mean anything ) , i have a 10 ft clear hose that im running right into the fill hole & will fill until she drains out the hole than run thru shifting gears with the wheels locked and see what happens.....as long as i have the shop manual and my tools i should be good...

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
sounds like you got it worked out. just make sure the car is level when filling fluid and you do your final check of the fluid level when the fluid is at 40*C.

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
sounds like you got it worked out. just make sure the car is level when filling fluid and you do your final check of the fluid level when the fluid is at 40*C.
........ive read over one of your other post with the attachment showing the process for this , read it a few times lol....... im going to wait til i get this in 2 weeks, by then i should have everything fluid arrives tomorrow & i ordered the pan with filter and i ordered a new gasket and o-ring (wasnt sure if it came with the pan )

Costco Wholesale

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
The only other advise i have is be careful when filling the trans while you have the engine running while it's warming up, the fill plug is pretty close to the exhaust. I threw some small pipe fittings together with a 90* on the end so that i wouldnt have to hold a hose up by the exhaust or worry about the hose melting.

pmckechnie

Registered Member
Matthews, NC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Maddmoe,
In your post you say you are going to drain the fluid, remove and replace the pan/filter, and refill the transmission with fluid.
Do you realize that if that is all you do that you will only be replacing somewhere around 1/2 of the oil. The torque converter will not drain and will hold a lot of fluid.
Older Mercedes put a drain plug in the converter so you could drain it also.
I have no idea of Genesis did the same thing.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
Maddmoe,
In your post you say you are going to drain the fluid, remove and replace the pan/filter, and refill the transmission with fluid.
Do you realize that if that is all you do that you will only be replacing somewhere around 1/2 of the oil. The torque converter will not drain and will hold a lot of fluid.
Older Mercedes put a drain plug in the converter so you could drain it also.
I have no idea of Genesis did the same thing.

yes you only get out about 6-8 quarts doing a drain and fill which i've heard the entire system is somewhere around 20-ish quarts. Like i said above flush machines can sometimes to more harm then good when pressurizing the system to exchange fluid. From what I've seen the best most people can do is just do 2-3 drain/fills with some run time in between changes. That will end up getting the majority of the old fluid out and new fluid in.

I'm debating on doing a second drain/fill as my old fluid didnt look too bad when it came out and the drain plug on my old pan was stripped out which made me thing it's been changed at least once before in the 190k miles it's been on the road.

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
......so I got my ATF drain pan today but after looking over the shop manual I come to realize there are NO Torque specification for the (20) T40 Torx bolts but there are Torque vaules for every other bolt....WTF

Attachments

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
I just gave them a good-n-tight and called it good. Snug them all up evenly then go back through them again and give them a good tightening. It doesn't need much as the gasket is a good thick rubber one

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Sub'd - I'm planning myself to do a drain and refill on my ZF-6 next year. Will stay tuned for updates.

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
......well I was actually waiting for my Quickjack to arrive but today turned out to be the day that I had Time to do it.......so I drained it ( got out about 6 quarts), removed the transmission pan, installed the new pan with built in filter and dropped in RED LINE ATF D6 ( about the same amount that I removed )........now 2 out of those 20 bolts snapped on me after determining that 10.5 lbs torque was about the limit.......guess the true torque might be different for new bolts, so I snugged it down good........went for a test ride and I swear I've been missing how she took off and felt........chances are that once my Quickjack arrives I might drain and refill again since it only took 6-7 quarts and it Will allow me to get rid of that old ATF .....changed my oil while I was under there also....I also used a transfer pump I got from Harbor Freight....and the pic with that sludge on my finger off of the magnet tells you this isn't life time ATF.....IT CAME OUT LIKE WATER & I'm at 93k mileage.....I also added a flat washer to the new bolts I'm using that's replacing the 2 that broke with the lock washer

.....also have to thank my Better half, the boss of all bosses, the queen of my household for sitting in the drivers seat and going through the gears while I pumped ATF in......it was a hard job for her lol

Attachments

Last edited:

Flarfignewton

Hasn't posted much yet...
Pittsburgh, PA
Genesis Model Type
Part number is 0501 216 243. I got mine in a kit from FCP Euro that came with all new bolts and the ZF fluid.

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
......so heres my UPDATE...my new AfterMarket Transmission drain pan ( eBay bought ) was fine for about 2 weeks then all of a sudden started getting new leaking popping up around the bolt holes ( New bolts added also ) , tried everything and still leaking so ........tonight goes on THE O.E.M. Transmission drain pan part # 45280-49000 with some more new Redline D6 Transmission fluid........My Genesis has been running fine except for the leaking , which I don't play !

MADDMOE

Registered Member
NY NY
.......Ok so today I removed my transmission pan AGAIN ( Due 2 leaks )....as you can see from the pics the Pan I bought from eBay isnt stamped with any #s or letters BUT the new pan is ( guess becuase it's the OEM ) and even though the new pan came with a new gasket, I'm using Mopar RTV around the bolt holes ........ill let everything dry overnight and tomorrow drop in some new Redline D6 ATF and hopefully this will be it for another 100k miles ( if I still own this car )

Attachments

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
.......Ok so today I removed my transmission pan AGAIN ( Due 2 leaks )....as you can see from the pics the Pan I bought from eBay isnt stamped with any #s or letters BUT the new pan is ( guess becuase it's the OEM ) and even though the new pan came with a new gasket, I'm using Mopar RTV around the bolt holes ........ill let everything dry overnight and tomorrow drop in some new Redline D6 ATF and hopefully this will be it for another 100k miles ( if I still own this car )
I have not done a pan change on my 2015 5.0 yet, but I have learned that you need to torque the bolts down to proper torque specs with a torque wrench to prevent gasket leaks when changing pans in other cars I owned. Over tightening the pan bolts can cause leaks due to mismatching torque on the pan bolts and crushing the gasket. I always use a cross tightening pattern starting from the center bolts and working my way out to ensure equal tightening of all the bolts. I also do a finally check of all the bolts with a torque wrench to ensure all the bolt are properly snugged down.

Last edited:

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
it looks like the torque is between 17.9 - 23Nm or 12.95 - 16.63 lb ft. However the info i have is a little confusing so i have attached a pdf (see page 3 and 4)
You looked at the wrong bolt specs, you posted the drain bolt spec. The pan bolts range is 4.34-5.78 lb-ft per the instructions step #9 page 3.

However, the instructions you posted seem to be for a different transmission setup which has a separate filter(strainer) and pan. The OP setup has the filter built into the pan.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.