ATQ Subframe Collars (DH Sedan)

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

I bought these about 5 months ago and finally got around to installing them.

First off- the install:
The instructions are kind of lackluster, for a DIY job it would have been helpful to have more detailed information. For instance, there are 8 subframe collars, 2 front of front subframe, 2 rear of front subframe, 2 front of rear subframe and 2 rear of rear subframe. However, the instructions only mentioned 3 pairs and the 4th pair (front/front) just had a sticker on them that said "May Not Be Required". Helpful stuff, not. It turned out that the front collars are indeed needed, in fact my car was so far gone that none of the original plastic sleeves remained at all. This is not a job you want to undertake on the ground, find a lift, you'll need a separate jack and 2x4 to carry the rear subframe for the install.

Did I mention that there was slop? Indeed, the bolts were set in the subframe holes with a solid .200" of play around them. All of them. I had a severe thunking noise front and rear for the longest time that the dealership refused to track down (said it was normal for these older cars to make that noise). Particularly when accelerating over a pothole or hitting speed bumps, the noise and associated feeling could have scared the dead to life.

The result:
This car drives better than the factory fresh models on the dealer lot. I had thought it was just something Genesis had improved in the new cars that made them handle and ride better than my 2nd gen. The car rides much better on bumpy or challenging road surfaces, with only road noise being present and not body noise. Launch control is greatly improved and eliminated the shimmy feeling I had, as well as some tire spin. I think I will have to get another 4 wheel alignment because there is no way it was aligned correctly before. Hitting the twisties has much more reassuring handling and no shifting feeling on the switchbacks. The ride is also not harsher, if anything it got even smoother in Comfort mode.

Conclusion:
This is probably the best $115 I spent on this car, considering it regained so much I didn't know it had lost. I have to imagine all the new G80s will eventually be suffering the same issue too, although there are no collar kits for them yet. There is also a differential bushing kit but I haven't convinced myself I want to spend $500 on bushings and $500 on tools to install them...exhaust mods will be first. Namely an X-pipe.

PS: Maybe Sal could add these to the store? Just a thought, those BH series collars could use some company.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
After a day of driving, I still have to say I'm impressed. I took it out on some particularly windy back roads with both stellar and subpar surfaces and the car is just awesome. So awesome, in fact, I didn't notice that the propshaft flutter appeared to be gone. If it happens, it's happening in a range so tiny I haven't found it yet; before I would feel it from 31-39mph.

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
[/URL]

I bought these about 5 months ago and finally got around to installing them.

First off- the install:
The instructions are kind of lackluster, for a DIY job it would have been helpful to have more detailed information. For instance, there are 8 subframe collars, 2 front of front subframe, 2 rear of front subframe, 2 front of rear subframe and 2 rear of rear subframe. However, the instructions only mentioned 3 pairs and the 4th pair (front/front) just had a sticker on them that said "May Not Be Required". Helpful stuff, not. It turned out that the front collars are indeed needed, in fact my car was so far gone that none of the original plastic sleeves remained at all. This is not a job you want to undertake on the ground, find a lift, you'll need a separate jack and 2x4 to carry the rear subframe for the install.

Did I mention that there was slop? Indeed, the bolts were set in the subframe holes with a solid .200" of play around them. All of them. I had a severe thunking noise front and rear for the longest time that the dealership refused to track down (said it was normal for these older cars to make that noise). Particularly when accelerating over a pothole or hitting speed bumps, the noise and associated feeling could have scared the dead to life.

The result:
This car drives better than the factory fresh models on the dealer lot. I had thought it was just something Genesis had improved in the new cars that made them handle and ride better than my 2nd gen. The car rides much better on bumpy or challenging road surfaces, with only road noise being present and not body noise. Launch control is greatly improved and eliminated the shimmy feeling I had, as well as some tire spin. I think I will have to get another 4 wheel alignment because there is no way it was aligned correctly before. Hitting the twisties has much more reassuring handling and no shifting feeling on the switchbacks. The ride is also not harsher, if anything it got even smoother in Comfort mode.

Conclusion:
This is probably the best $115 I spent on this car, considering it regained so much I didn't know it had lost. I have to imagine all the new G80s will eventually be suffering the same issue too, although there are no collar kits for them yet. There is also a differential bushing kit but I haven't convinced myself I want to spend $500 on bushings and $500 on tools to install them...exhaust mods will be first. Namely an X-pipe.

PS: Maybe Sal could add these to the store? Just a thought, those BH series collars could use some company.
Just ordered a set for my 15. I have secured a lift to help with the install. Thanks for your input Suburbazine.

rxnov

Registered Member
@Suburbazine, Good to hear that the collars improve the way the car handles.
For those who are interested to get the rigid collars, PM me. I have a set of unused ATQ rigid collars. I got the car sold before I had the chance to put them on. $100 free shipping US only

deagle

Genesis Model Type
Is this mod desirable for city driving? I would think a rubber collar would be preferable for pothole impacts. Or is even the metal version better than nothing for enabling the suspension to absorb the impact on its own?

Last edited:

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Is this mod desirable for city driving? I would think a rubber collar would be preferable for pothole impacts. Or is even the metal version better than nothing for enabling the suspension to absorb the impact on its own?
There is no collar at all stock. This isn’t a shock-absorbing component of the suspension and should never be allowed to move. The only reason the sloppy holes exist is to permit sloppy manufacturing tolerances.

deagle

Genesis Model Type
There is no collar at all stock. This isn’t a shock-absorbing component of the suspension and should never be allowed to move. The only reason the sloppy holes exist is to permit sloppy manufacturing tolerances.
This might be the first mod I do to my new (to me) 2015 3.8 Sedan.

HDMIPort

Genesis Model Type
What kind of shop could install this for me? Thanks.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
What kind of shop could install this for me? Thanks.
Any full service automotive shop. No special tools required besides socket wrenches and a lift.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums