ATQ Subframe Collars introductory sale

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I had the subframe collars installed yesterday, along with the Shark Racing/System-Upgrade Chassis Brace. Can I tell a difference on my 20 mile drive to work? Nope. Just hoping it helps keep the chassis tight. The Chassis Brace does not come with any mounting bolts, it should have because OEM ones didn't work...

I'm curious as to what guided your decision to get these parts. Did you think the chassis needed stiffening?

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think this chassis will loosen up in time, so I figure the subframe collars and chassis brace should help keep the chassis tighter over time. If it helps prevent rattles in the future, it was worth it to me.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think this chassis will loosen up in time, so I figure the subframe collars and chassis brace should help keep the chassis tighter over time. If it helps prevent rattles in the future, it was worth it to me.

Couldn't that be remedied later by installing the same parts once you feel like the old ones have loosened? Or just new OEM parts?

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I finally got around to installing my collars last week. I haven't had a chance to test out whether they affect high speed cornering capabilities or not as of yet, but they are definitely noticeable in normal driving conditions. I have found that they add a touch of refinement to the suspension, in that they basically reduce any harshness felt over road imperfections. I've found that this is most apparent in sport mode. The improvement in smoothness made these a worthwhile upgrade in my eyes.

One thing I wasn't terribly impressed by was the installation instructions. They state that for the front collars you are to loosen up all 6 subframe chassis bolts a few turns. Then you go about installing the new hardware one spot at a time. I followed these instructions only to discover in a different user forum that you likely need an alignment after. I messaged the manufacturer about this, and received verification that if you loosen all 6 bolts before starting you indeed likely will need an alignment after. If you are to simply do one collar at a time without loosening up the rest, this would likely reduce the need for alignment afterwards. Why they would write the instructions in such a fashion is mind-boggling to me.

One other tip for the collars on the rear of the car is to jack up the rear suspension a bit. I was unable to get the rear collar nuts started until I lifted the surrounding suspension as there weren't enough threads on the stud exposed to get the nut started.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't do an alignment, and I honestly don't know how the shop I had do the install did it (I'd assume like the instructions). I don't notice anything odd, so hopefully I don't need an alignment and hopefully my tires aren't wearing oddly.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't do an alignment, and I honestly don't know how the shop I had do the install did it (I'd assume like the instructions). I don't notice anything odd, so hopefully I don't need an alignment and hopefully my tires aren't wearing oddly.
I couldn't feel anything off just from driving the car, but the alignment specs were definitely out of whack, particularly in the rear of the car. I thought about the alignment and decided to go get it checked to be safe, particularly as my winter tire set is brand new.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So your alignment was off? Who'd you have check alignment - dealer or some other shop? If some other shop - how'd they get the correct specs. for front and rear alignment?

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I took my car to Fountain Tire to have the alignment checked, keeping all mods on the down low with regards to the dealer where possible. I can only assume they have some sort of database of alignment specs that they can look up.

ncrashb

Registered Member
MB, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sorry to post in old thread, but just to add my 2 cents on both this topic as well as that vendor...

The subframe collars are good to install as early as possible, before things start shifting over time, as the collars only become more and more difficult to install the more the car has been driven. On my Gen Coupe, I had them installed a couple years after buying the car new, and they had to be "encouraged" into place because things had already moved enough to make it difficult. They're supposed to fill a gap before that gap has a chance to shift, basically. So you shouldn't really notice any improvement immediately, but rather they'll keep the car tight for the entire life of the car once installed.

I've read that chassis braces are useless or at least expensive overkill on the Gen Coupe as well as the G70 due to how solid Hyundai designed the chassis and oem bracing. Keep in mind every brace you install adds weight, so if the weight addition isn't justified then whats the point right :p

Something the Genesis Coupe community has learned over many years of bad experiences with ATQ are:
-Don't expect good customer service, if any at all
-Don't expect timely responses to orders or questions
-Don't expect refunds or shipping updates to be on time or accurate
-Expect to get blamed for any and all issues you encounter

These are highly unfortunate points to bring up as I do not take pride in speaking poorly of vendors or people, but I'd rather save some people the headaches and heartache if they can be avoided. ATQ's parts are truly good typically, however the company and production just can't keep up as its ran by the 1 owner with high demand.

That being said, can't wait to get a set of collars on my G70.

Edit: Also just confirming that the vendor is in fact in Canada (Ontario), so expect CAD & expensive/delayed shipping to USA.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sorry to post in old thread, but just to add my 2 cents on both this topic as well as that vendor...

The subframe collars are good to install as early as possible, before things start shifting over time, as the collars only become more and more difficult to install the more the car has been driven. On my Gen Coupe, I had them installed a couple years after buying the car new, and they had to be "encouraged" into place because things had already moved enough to make it difficult. They're supposed to fill a gap before that gap has a chance to shift, basically. So you shouldn't really notice any improvement immediately, but rather they'll keep the car tight for the entire life of the car once installed.

I've read that chassis braces are useless or at least expensive overkill on the Gen Coupe as well as the G70 due to how solid Hyundai designed the chassis and oem bracing. Keep in mind every brace you install adds weight, so if the weight addition isn't justified then whats the point right :p

Something the Genesis Coupe community has learned over many years of bad experiences with ATQ are:
-Don't expect good customer service, if any at all
-Don't expect timely responses to orders or questions
-Don't expect refunds or shipping updates to be on time or accurate
-Expect to get blamed for any and all issues you encounter

These are highly unfortunate points to bring up as I do not take pride in speaking poorly of vendors or people, but I'd rather save some people the headaches and heartache if they can be avoided. ATQ's parts are truly good typically, however the company and production just can't keep up as its ran by the 1 owner with high demand.

That being said, can't wait to get a set of collars on my G70.

Edit: Also just confirming that the vendor is in fact in Canada (Ontario), so expect CAD & expensive/delayed shipping to USA.

I didn't really have the same experience with this vendor as you are describing. Any questions I answered directly through Facebook Messenger were answered within a few hours. The instructions could have been more effectively written on a key point which would have saved me from needing an alignment, but otherwise were well made.

I could immediately tell the difference with the ATQ collars installed onto my G70 vs. without, and my car was less than a year old at that point. The biggest difference is less crashing over road imperfections, this is most apparent in the sport mode suspension setting.

I've installed subframe collars into a 10+ year old car in an area with heavily salted roads, and the installation process was incredibly easy on that car. I think the degree of difficulty depends more on the design of the car itself and your access to a lift and appropriate tools.

ncrashb

Registered Member
MB, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't really have the same experience with this vendor as you are describing. Any questions I answered directly through Facebook Messenger were answered within a few hours. The instructions could have been more effectively written on a key point which would have saved me from needing an alignment, but otherwise were well made.

I could immediately tell the difference with the ATQ collars installed onto my G70 vs. without, and my car was less than a year old at that point. The biggest difference is less crashing over road imperfections, this is most apparent in the sport mode suspension setting.

I've installed subframe collars into a 10+ year old car in an area with heavily salted roads, and the installation process was incredibly easy on that car. I think the degree of difficulty depends more on the design of the car itself and your access to a lift and appropriate tools.

Believe me when I say that your experience was rare, one of few. If you take a quick search on any of the Genesis Coupe forums, or especially the Facebook groups, you'll see literally hundreds of people with the same bad experiences with ATQ. And I used to be a huge advocate & supporter, until I saw how people were being treated in the community by this vendor.
Anyway, take that for what you will. I spent 6 years dealing with that bs, would hate to see it continue into this more mature community too.

Regarding my Coupe's install of collars; was done on a hoist by a mechanic and I saw with my own eyes what he explained; I'm not saying your mounts won't ever move, however the whole point of these collars is to keep those mounts in place without any room for shift. If things HAVE shifted over time with use, it can be difficult to get them to press into place since that spare room they're intended to fill can become uneven if shifted in one direction. So, you may need to put stress on the subframe to ease it in the right direction if it is being stubborn.
And that info just might help someone someday. I hope not everyone has that problem, but there info is here for those who do. Glad it didn't happen to you though lol

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Believe me when I say that your experience was rare, one of few. If you take a quick search on any of the Genesis Coupe forums, or especially the Facebook groups, you'll see literally hundreds of people with the same bad experiences with ATQ. And I used to be a huge advocate & supporter, until I saw how people were being treated in the community by this vendor.
Anyway, take that for what you will. I spent 6 years dealing with that bs, would hate to see it continue into this more mature community too.

Regarding my Coupe's install of collars; was done on a hoist by a mechanic and I saw with my own eyes what he explained; I'm not saying your mounts won't ever move, however the whole point of these collars is to keep those mounts in place without any room for shift. If things HAVE shifted over time with use, it can be difficult to get them to press into place since that spare room they're intended to fill can become uneven if shifted in one direction. So, you may need to put stress on the subframe to ease it in the right direction if it is being stubborn.
And that info just might help someone someday. I hope not everyone has that problem, but there info is here for those who do. Glad it didn't happen to you though lol
Maybe the vendor has improved in communication over time, who knows, just figured I'd pass along my mostly positive experience.

If things have ended up shifting over time I see no reason why simply loosening all of the subframe bolts at once wouldn't allow for things to get moving again. At worse hammering things into place should do the trick if necessary.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums