• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

ATQ Subframe Collars introductory sale

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think this chassis will loosen up in time, so I figure the subframe collars and chassis brace should help keep the chassis tighter over time. If it helps prevent rattles in the future, it was worth it to me.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I think this chassis will loosen up in time, so I figure the subframe collars and chassis brace should help keep the chassis tighter over time. If it helps prevent rattles in the future, it was worth it to me.
Couldn't that be remedied later by installing the same parts once you feel like the old ones have loosened? Or just new OEM parts?

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I finally got around to installing my collars last week. I haven't had a chance to test out whether they affect high speed cornering capabilities or not as of yet, but they are definitely noticeable in normal driving conditions. I have found that they add a touch of refinement to the suspension, in that they basically reduce any harshness felt over road imperfections. I've found that this is most apparent in sport mode. The improvement in smoothness made these a worthwhile upgrade in my eyes.

One thing I wasn't terribly impressed by was the installation instructions. They state that for the front collars you are to loosen up all 6 subframe chassis bolts a few turns. Then you go about installing the new hardware one spot at a time. I followed these instructions only to discover in a different user forum that you likely need an alignment after. I messaged the manufacturer about this, and received verification that if you loosen all 6 bolts before starting you indeed likely will need an alignment after. If you are to simply do one collar at a time without loosening up the rest, this would likely reduce the need for alignment afterwards. Why they would write the instructions in such a fashion is mind-boggling to me.

One other tip for the collars on the rear of the car is to jack up the rear suspension a bit. I was unable to get the rear collar nuts started until I lifted the surrounding suspension as there weren't enough threads on the stud exposed to get the nut started.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't do an alignment, and I honestly don't know how the shop I had do the install did it (I'd assume like the instructions). I don't notice anything odd, so hopefully I don't need an alignment and hopefully my tires aren't wearing oddly.

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I didn't do an alignment, and I honestly don't know how the shop I had do the install did it (I'd assume like the instructions). I don't notice anything odd, so hopefully I don't need an alignment and hopefully my tires aren't wearing oddly.
I couldn't feel anything off just from driving the car, but the alignment specs were definitely out of whack, particularly in the rear of the car. I thought about the alignment and decided to go get it checked to be safe, particularly as my winter tire set is brand new.

trdehmer

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So your alignment was off? Who'd you have check alignment - dealer or some other shop? If some other shop - how'd they get the correct specs. for front and rear alignment?

maxsilver

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I took my car to Fountain Tire to have the alignment checked, keeping all mods on the down low with regards to the dealer where possible. I can only assume they have some sort of database of alignment specs that they can look up.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums