• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Audio upgrade

Littell

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have a 2015 Genesis with the 14 speakers. I replaced the door speakers with some kickers. There wasn't a sound difference so I bought a 5 channel amp. Took it to an audio installation place and they said that I can't hook the amp up without messing the factory amp up. Has anyone run into this?

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Littell

Genesis Model Type
they’re correct. You’d need a MOST DSP splitter to accomplish this and I’m unsure if one is compatible so far.

you could attempt feeding speaker level to the 5 channel if supported. The original amp may shut down though.
If the factory amp does shut down is it then fried? Or can I simply disconnect the aftermarket amp and switch back to the factory one.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I have a 2015 Genesis with the 14 speakers. I replaced the door speakers with some kickers. There wasn't a sound difference so I bought a 5 channel amp. Took it to an audio installation place and they said that I can't hook the amp up without messing the factory amp up. Has anyone run into this?
In all honesty, the stock Lexicon speakers in the Genesis are as good(if not better) as most aftermarket door speakers in the sub $200 dollar price range. The pricier speakers will need a stronger amp to sound better as well I believe.

However, you could just use a very high quality high-level signal convertor that can handle 100watt rms outputs and then spice into the speaker leads exiting the lexicon amp to provide a signal to the aftermarket amp and then splice into the wires going to the door speakers for the sound exiting the aftermarket amp speaker output. I am doing that to power my aftermarket subwoofer amp for my Kicker sub by tapping into the stock amp subwoofer output.

I am surprised the Audio Shop did not recommend that option to install your 5 channel amp. However, they probably did not want to splice the Lexicon amp wiring ;especially if they do not have a proper wiring diagram for the Genesis audio system.

Note: You may have to install some load resistors(2 or 4ohm) on the stock amp speaker output leads feeding into the signal converter if the signal convertor do not create enough load resistance so that the stock amp will not go into protection mode if you remove it directly from all the speakers. I installed my signal convertor in-line with the stock subwoofer still connected, so my stock amp still reads a load and works just fine.

Last edited:

Littell

Genesis Model Type
In all honesty, the stock Lexicon speakers in the Genesis are as good(if not better) as most aftermarket door speakers in the sub $200 dollar price range. The pricier speakers will need a stronger amp to sound better as well I believe.

However, you could just use a very high quality high-level signal convertor that can handle 100watt rms outputs and then spice into the speaker leads exiting the lexicon amp to provide a signal to the aftermarket amp and then splice into the wires going to the door speakers for the sound exiting the aftermarket amp speaker output. I am doing that to power my aftermarket subwoofer amp for my Kicker sub by tapping into the stock amp subwoofer output.

I am surprised the Audio Shop did not recommend that option to install your 5 channel amp. However, they probably did not want to splice the Lexicon amp wiring ;especially if they do not have a proper wiring diagram for the Genesis audio system.

Note: You may have to install some load resistors(2 or 4ohm) on the stock amp speaker output leads feeding into the signal converter if the signal convertor do not create enough load resistance so that the stock amp will not go into protection mode if you remove it directly from all the speakers. I installed my signal convertor in-line with the stock subwoofer still connected, so my stock amp still reads a load and works just fine.
I got a Skar RP 700.5 amp. It claims it runs 65w X 4 at 4 ohms and 1 channel runs 200 watts. So I can just splice into the factory amp and run my aftermarket amp? I got an inline converter and a 4 gauge wiring kit. Do I not need the 4 gauge kit?
Thanks for all the advice

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I got a Skar RP 700.5 amp. It claims it runs 65w X 4 at 4 ohms and 1 channel runs 200 watts. So I can just splice into the factory amp and run my aftermarket amp? I got an inline converter and a 4 gauge wiring kit. Do I not need the 4 gauge kit?
Thanks for all the advice
In theory, yes that you can use the factory amp speaker output signals going through a line-level converter to provide a signal for your Skar amp. You could also tap into the stock amp remote power wire as well to turn your Skar amp on and off like the stock amp.

However, I am not certain how the stock digital amp will operate when you disconnect the speakers while just connecting a line-out converter. It may still provide audio signals without the speaker load, or it may have some type of fail-safe that will shut it down if it does not sense a load on the speaker channels. Hence , why I mentioned the load-resisters.

Yes, you will need the 4 gauge kit because the factory amp power wiring may not be thick enough to handle the current needed to power the Skar amp. I would use the kit to connect the Skar directly to the battery in the trunk.

Note: If you are not a skilled installer then I would find a audio shop to tackle this job due to the amount of wire splicing that would be involved, especially if you will need resisters wired inline as well if the stock amp does not play when the speakers are not directly connected.

I personally only tapped into my stock Lexicon amp subwoofer output and remote power signal, so i really did not have to splice any wires. i just wire tapped them. However, in your case you would have to cut and splice the stock amp wires to run your Skar amp.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums