Auto Wipers

CSULA21

Getting familiar with the group...
Thread starter #1
Living in So. Cal., we don't see much rain, so I don't get to use the wipers all that often. Well, yesterday we got a good amount of rain and I turned on the wipers to the first wiper setting; which is Auto. However, I am confused as to the function of the "timer" knob. No matter how much I played with that, the time that it took for the wipers to wipe, varied; some took longer than I wanted it to while others were too short between wipes. Which, got me thinking; what is the point of the "timer" switch/knob if it is supposed to only be functional in the first wiper position; which is also "auto". There were times when I wanted the wipers to wipe intermittently (on a set timer) and NOT auto. So, how does one override the auto?

TIA

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
I don't know that there is an override. The auto feature senses the amount of water hitting the windshield. If it is light rain and long time between wipes, it will automatically change speed if you get splashed by oncoming traffic or spray as you pass a truck. As you change speed you will get more or less water and the wiper will adjust as needed. You are adjusting the sensitivity. If no rain, the wiper will not move and scrape dust on a dry glass.

It is a good system, but not perfect. There are times I'd hit the "mist" to get an extra wipe or two, but overall, does a decent job.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
I with the OP, the intermittent settings do seem to be inconsistent, it seems like there should be a set amount depending on setting for the delay on each wipe and there after but on this car it seems random at times.

For example, if I set it to slow it should be like wipe > 3 seconds > wipe, but somethings its like wipe >5 secs > wipe > 2 seconds > wipe > wipe again etc...

tuckerdog1

Been here awhile...
TEXAS
When you put the setting at what would look like a quicker wipe cycle, you're just setting the sensors to wipe for less rain ( so it will wipe more often ). Set it lower, and it will wipe less often. But as the amount of rain varies ( like when you're moving vs being stopped at a light ), the wipers will adjust the interval based on how much rain is hitting the windshield. I got used to it in my Touareg & like it.

Tuckerdog1

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
When you put the setting at what would look like a quicker wipe cycle, you're just setting the sensors to wipe for less rain ( so it will wipe more often ). Set it lower, and it will wipe less often. But as the amount of rain varies ( like when you're moving vs being stopped at a light ), the wipers will adjust the interval based on how much rain is hitting the windshield. I got used to it in my Touareg & like it.

Tuckerdog1
So what your saying is even if its not in auto sensing mode, its still auto sensing to a degree regardless of how you have the timer set?

celltech

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
The thing that I hate is if you put the stalk on "auto" then it's 1 notch lower than the turn signal stalk. This drive my OCD crazy. The stalks remind me of a pair of dog ears and one is drooping too much...

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
The thing that I hate is if you put the stalk on "auto" then it's 1 notch lower than the turn signal stalk. This drive my OCD crazy. The stalks remind me of a pair of dog ears and one is drooping too much...
Easy solution. Just put your left turn signal on and let people think you are just another senile old fart.

CSULA21

Getting familiar with the group...
Thread starter #12
Seems superfluous to add that "adjustment" switch, if the auto overrides it! Might as well get rid of it and only have the 3 vertical setting; auto, low, high.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Seems superfluous to add that "adjustment" switch, if the auto overrides it! Might as well get rid of it and only have the 3 vertical setting; auto, low, high.
It does not override it. It adjusts the sensitivity to the amount of water that hits the glass.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Rain-sensing wipers - Yet another innovative solution to a problem that never existed. Standard intermittent wipers work great. Those of us who know when it's raining outside seem to have gotten accustomed to flipping on a wiper switch.

Then there are the hazards associated with leaving the rain-sensing wipers on when going through a car wash. Good luck with that!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
If its adjusting to the amount of rain that hits the glass, when you have it set already on slow then its overriding it.
No that isn’t the way it works
Intermittent - changes how often it wipes, that is the cycle time like once a second or once every five seconds
Auto - changes how fast the wipers go from bottom to top and back down again. It sets this speed (not interval) based on how much water is on the windshield as measured by the sensor.

These two functions work independent of one another and don’t override each other. One is speed and the other is interval.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Intermittent - changes how often it wipes, that is the cycle time like once a second or once every five seconds
Auto - changes how fast the wipers go from bottom to top and back down again. It sets this speed (not interval) based on how much water is on the windshield as measured by the sensor.

These two functions work independent of one another and don’t override each other. One is speed and the other is interval.
No, AUTO is AUTO and will change the interval
AUTO : The rain sensor located on
the upper end of the windshield
glass senses the
amount of rainfall and controls
the wiping cycle for the
proper interval. The more it
rains, the faster the wiper
operates. When the rain
stops, the wiper stops.To
vary the speed setting, turn
the speed control knob (B).

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA

We get that, but what we are saying that I am noticing that when I'm are not in AUTO, with the intermittent switch set, its not a consistent every other second or every other 3 seconds etc...

What's happening is I'm noticing that when in intermittent and not in full AUTO mode, it will some times be wipe 2 seconds wipe then all of a suddenly its two quick wipes followed by a 4 second delay and wipe again.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
We get that, but what we are saying that I am noticing that when I'm are not in AUTO, with the intermittent switch set, its not a consistent every other second or every other 3 seconds etc...

What's happening is I'm noticing that when in intermittent and not in full AUTO mode, it will some times be wipe 2 seconds wipe then all of a suddenly its two quick wipes followed by a 4 second delay and wipe again.
Huh? If not in AUTO what position is the lever? From the manual, intermittent only works in AUTO mode. The frequency of the wipe is determined by the amount of water sensed in relationship to the intermittent setting. More or less sensitive is selectible. Worked the same way on my GM cars too.

1FstYota

Registered Member
WA
Huh? If not in AUTO what position is the lever? From the manual, intermittent only works in AUTO mode. The frequency of the wipe is determined by the amount of water sensed in relationship to the intermittent setting. More or less sensitive is selectible. Worked the same way on my GM cars too.
It's the next setting down from AUTO.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.