• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Automatic shifting speed

Bigdong

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I'm wondering what kind of transmission mechanism (dual clutch? )is runing in the TT auto model and shifting speed and power lost. I'm always a manual guy but now automatic seems to be so advance nowadays. I couldn't find any info on this

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
If I remember correctly from information on this forum (you should use the search and poke around!), it is not a DCT and nobody really knows how quick the shifts are besides anecdotally "fast." I will say its not as violent when shifting as the ZF in the 2019 440i I test drove, which I took as "slower", but I believe there are other factors at play.

It has a few faults when gradually slowing to a stop but great otherwise

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm wondering what kind of transmission mechanism (dual clutch? )is runing in the TT auto model and shifting speed and power lost. I'm always a manual guy but now automatic seems to be so advance nowadays. I couldn't find any info on this

Modern 8spd auto transmissions are crazy. Word on the street is that Hyundai originally designed their 8spd in a similar way to the ZF8. If it is indeed like that, then you've got 5 clutches and 4 planetary gearsets. It all stacks together in an incredible way, with the clutches/brakes electronically controlled via the valve body with pressurized ATF.

On top of this, I don't know if Hyundai designed their own torque converter too.

DCT transmissions don't use a torque converter, and the input shaft is usually able to directly drive the two clutches.

I've rebuilt a Honda FWD manual 5spd, and installed an LSD in it. It was a cool project and after that I finally understood how most manual tranny's work. Automatics, on the other hand, are way over my head.

In my opinion, DCT's are easier to understand when looking at a cutaway view than modern 8spd autos. That said, I still don't understand exactly how 8spd auto tranny's work, and I probably don't really get DCT's either even though I'd like to think I do. Haha.

Last edited:

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I'm also a diehard manual driver. All I require from an automatic is not to piss me off or remind me too often that its there. My old G37's automatic pissed me off to no end, which is why I dumped that car after 14 months. Nothing compares to a real manual, but the G70's auto is much much better. It only occasionally annoys me by downshifting in really slow traffic.

Bigdong

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It's good to know that the shifting speed is fast. I'm concern of the power lost as well. Interesting is there no info any where about this.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
It's good to know that the shifting speed is fast. I'm concern of the power lost as well. Interesting is there no info any where about this.
Is there usually info about a transmissions power loss? It’s usually assumed around 15%.

BTW, please change your username. This is a forum for adults

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Modern auto trannies and torque converters are actually very efficient with power transfer, substantially moreso than the slushboxes of old. Arguably, they are even better than manuals because of the increase in gears/ratios.

Still, that doesn't make me miss rowing my own gears any less.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Long ago, so long that if I said how long there would be injuries from severe eye rolling, I worked at a large Ford dealer parts department. At that time the least expensive car that Ford made and sold had a non synchronized transmission. This means one must come to a complete and full stop before engaging first gear and driving requires special attention to engine speed when shifting. An older woman who had purchased this new car with the lowest price came in and said her son/brother/in-law told her that a better transmission had a synchronizer gear which made driving easier. She wanted to buy such a gear and have someone install it. She was a lovely pleasant lady and it was a shame someone had to be the one to try to describe to her how this was not at all possible.

Modern 8spd auto transmissions are crazy. Word on the street is that Hyundai originally designed their 8spd in a similar way to the ZF8. If it is indeed like that, then you've got 5 clutches and 4 planetary gearsets. It all stacks together in an incredible way, with the clutches/brakes electronically controlled via the valve body with pressurized ATF.

On top of this, I don't know if Hyundai designed their own torque converter too.

DCT transmissions don't use a torque converter, and the input shaft is usually able to directly drive the two clutches.

I've rebuilt a Honda FWD manual 5spd, and installed an LSD in it. It was a cool project and after that I finally understood how most manual tranny's work. Automatics, on the other hand, are way over my head.

In my opinion, DCT's are easier to understand when looking at a cutaway view than modern 8spd autos. That said, I still don't understand exactly how 8spd auto tranny's work, and I probably don't really get DCT's either even though I'd like to think I do. Haha.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

petraman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Maybe you should have taught her how to double clutch.
Dom didn't call it granny shifting for no reason. :LOL:

It's good to see other manual guys that are giving in to the better-shifting automatics that have come out in the past decade (praise be to ZF 8-speed). I've owned nothing but manual transmission cars since 2011, when I thought that automatics were nothing but fun-sapping bore-machines. Newer DCTs and even some torque converter transmissions have proven that wrong, recently. That, and there are no cars on sale today that interest me and have a manual transmission.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

petraman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Happily, I'll be keeping my manual transmission Golf as a 'utility' vehicle (i.e. the car I take my dog to the dog park in, lol) so I'll still be able to scratch that 'itch' if it comes up.

Also, as a new-ish fart, I cannot fathom only having two gears and no locking torque converter in a transmission, haha.

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Dom didn't call it granny shifting for no reason. :LOL:

It's good to see other manual guys that are giving in to the better-shifting automatics that have come out in the past decade (praise be to ZF 8-speed). I've owned nothing but manual transmission cars since 2011, when I thought that automatics were nothing but fun-sapping bore-machines. Newer DCTs and even some torque converter transmissions have proven that wrong, recently. That, and there are no cars on sale today that interest me and have a manual transmission.
Oh I'm not giving in. For my daily driver in NYC I've accepted that having an automatic is the way to go, but one day when I have a garage and the means to have more than one car, it'll be something with three pedals and zero practicality; maybe a boxster or something. Even the best automatic doesn't scratch the itch like a stick does.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums