• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

AWD only available for 2015 3.8L model?

rtburgess1

Hasn't posted much yet...
Millbrook NY
On Hyundai's website (in the "Driving Dynamics" section of the "See It Now" banner of the main US web page) they indicate the HTRAC AWD system will only available on the new 3.8L model. I hope this is incorrect, as it would be very disappointing if AWD were not offered on the 5.0 model. Does anyone have more information on this? Thanks.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
  1. Lack of initial availability of V8 AWD in USA is old news.
  2. Availability of V8 AWD in Canada is old news.
  3. Strong Likelihood of later availability of V8 AWD in USA is old news. An Announcement (not availability) from HMA is expected within a few months. However, it "may" be a performance version (ala R-Spec), so not sure if it will appeal to regular luxury buyers, but details have not been finalized yet.

tompass

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
SC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yes posted but not really confirmed by any reliable source. Not really going to know until Hyundai USA makes an official announcement. We shall see.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yes posted but not really confirmed by any reliable source. Not really going to know until Hyundai USA makes an official announcement. We shall see.
I will have to respectively disagree. There are reliable sources for each of those. Or at the very least, the same information has been previously posted several times (such as the link to the Canadian site that says all 2015 versions sold in Canada will have AWD, including the V8). If you saying that the Canadian Hyundai website is not reliable, that is a different story, but everything in this thread has been posted previously in this forum.

tompass

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
SC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What I mean is that until someone actually drives/tests an AWD 5.O, it does not exist. They Hyundai USA site had some odd option choices listed and surely that is subject to change.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
What I mean is that until someone actually drives/tests an AWD 5.O, it does not exist. They Hyundai USA site had some odd option choices listed and surely that is subject to change.
I agree things are subject to change, and we don't know all the facts yet. I was just pointing out that there have already been many other posts in this forum about the information/links posted above, including that the Hyundai Canada website strongly implies that they will have a V8 AWD. Whether there will actually be one is not absolutely guaranteed until we see it.

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Living in an alternate reality? Wishing and hoping is fine, but bad news is bad news. Buck up.

http://www.hyundainews.com/download/media/documentfile/40249_1_1.aspx
Tompass understands that there is no V8 AWD currently planned for US. He is wondering whether one really exists for Canada.

Hyundai Motor America is on record as saying they are considering a V8 AWD version for USA and that they will decide in a few months (not deliver, but decide).

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I suspect that Tompass is being cautious and hoping the article does not mean that AWD is standard on Canadian Trim levels of the V6 only, or maybe that reporter simply misunderstand what Hyundai told them. This suspicion is probably amplified by the apparent situation that HMA did not originally plan to off a V8 AWD even though Hyundai Korea is capable of making one and even though Canada is getting one.

tompass

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
SC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What Mark said... Plenty of misinformation out there but fortunately this site, and those who contribute, does help in putting things into perspective.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums