AWD or RWD

Riley

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I am gonna pull the trigger on a 3.3 Sport and I live in California. Is there any reason to get the AWD version of this car?

Thanks Riley

CoconutRob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I originally wanted RWD. After test driving a AWD in a hard rain storm and pushed the car in turns with no slip, it changed my mind considering I may be doing some road trips. Dont get alot of snow in southern DE but to travel to Phily and Newark airports and you never know weather in the winter. In sport mode with nanny's off DRIFT MODE (number not confirmed but close) 93% Rear wheels 7% to front. I can say in this position it is good enough for me and I love my AWD.
As others have said, with RWD you can never have AWD, but with AWD you can get very close to RWD. It's really all in what you want. I love the extra traction.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I am gonna pull the trigger on a 3.3 Sport and I live in California. Is there any reason to get the AWD version of this car?
It’s really how you intend to use the car that will dictate RWD vs. AWD. It’s not all snow or inclement weather either. AWD does a fine job on dry tarmac to help pull you through a turn (you can get on the throttle earlier, giving you an advantage), and as CoconutRob stated, you can turn off stability control and the AWD system will send 90-93% of the power to the rear so you can drift of induce oversteer.

For me (as a California resident also), I don’t plan to a lot of corner carving or driving in snowy or wet conditions often. RWD fits my needs, is mechanically simpler, and does not have the extra weight of the AWD system and the associated driveline drag and impact to fuel efficiency. Also, the AWD version sits on taller springs and 18” wheels. The RWD version is lower and rides on 19” wheels (at least for the 3.3T versions as far as I know).

ephone1

Registered Member
I live in Michigan - in the snowbelt, so AWD is a requirement to make life easy. But, if I lived in a southern climate, I would favor RWD for the weight savings & simpicity- all things being equal. Until very recently, I paid a penalty from most manufactures (Audi being the exception) in the performance packages offered in AWD variants of sports sedans.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I live in SoCal and my RWD seems to grip just fine. I don't think its worth the extra money to get AWD in California. Nobody here knows how to drive in the rain so you'll be stuck in traffic when it rains anyways.
Let be honest, you'll be stuck in traffic no matter what the weather is like!

GenesisYEG

Been here awhile...
Edmonton, Alberta
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I like how the AWD G70 drives so similarly to RWD when cornering yet pulls you out of the corner. When I drove the G70 3.3T Sport AWD around Circuit Mont-Tremblant it was incredible how the AWD system pulled me out of corners even during a downpour. While RWD has a lighter front end and may be a bit more "fun" to drive, I do enjoy the versatility of AWD especially considering the climate here.

cvandenhaute

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have been daily driving a RWD BMW 1-Series in Chicago and Colorado for the last 9 years. I have a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires and I have been doing great without AWD. The only time I used my wife's SUV in the snow was because the snow was too deep and I did not wanted to mess up with the clearance of the car (so in this regard a AWD sport sedan would have the same limitations). In SoCal you don't even need the winter tires. BTW RWD is perfectly fine in the rain with summer tires in good shapes, they are designed to handle that ;-)
I am in Nashville now, ready to pull the trigger on a RWD 3.3 Sport...

G-109367

Ah, so my car broker friend was checking into a lease on this car and it currently is quite expensive, probably because it just got here. May have to wait a bit.

Riley

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So my car broker friend checked into leases on this car in the LA area and they are rather high. Guess it's because they are new, supply and demand. May need to wait a while for a fair deal.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
So my car broker friend checked into leases on this car in the LA area and they are rather high. Guess it's because they are new, supply and demand. May need to wait a while for a fair deal.
Seems like most people are getting good discounts and leases on the G70 even in LA. It could be your friend is not considering the incentives and discounts people are getting. Then again, “rather high” can mean different things to different people.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Riley

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What kind of lease pricing are people experiencing on the 3.3 Sport?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What kind of lease pricing are people experiencing on the 3.3 Sport?
There is some recent pricing in the thread below. It really isn't helpful to look at overall pricing though since that is different for everyone depending on taxes, fees, etc. Best to look at the discounts people are getting, the MF and RV values as well as lease cash and incentives. With @r_spec offering Hyundai pricing certificates to those who ask the discount is very good.

Post purchase price details here (US $ only)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.