AWD - V8 or 3.3T

ewang

Hasn't posted much yet...
WI
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I currently have the 3.8 V6 AWD and yearn for a bit more power.

Thinking ahead, I'm planning on upgrading to either a G80 V8 AWD, or a G80 Sport AWD.

For those of you that have driven both a V8 and 3.3T V6, what is your impression? Which is quicker, more responsive, etc?

I'm very familiar with the style differences, so lets stay on engine/power train discussion.

Thanks!

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
5.0 Tau is probably the more likely to choice. At the end of the day beyond warranty the 5.0 V8 will last considerably longer.

If you're interested I have a 2017 Genesis G80 Ultimate 5.0 Tau V8 for sale with less than 3K miles. It has the Platinum Service Package, Paint, Wheel $ Tire Protection included and is transferable. Paid Blue Link, latest Map updates, full 3M bra with 10 year warranty to include; 12" up the sides on doors, full frontal 24" up the hood, A-Pillars and Top of Pano Roof, Laminx Headlight Covers, Leather Dash and door covers, Full window Shade Kit to include the Pano Roof also and K& N Filters. The engine has a additional Prolong warranty and has been Prolonged for increased durability and longevity. It's in a heated garage and kept under cover. It's a New Mexico car and is spotless, Marble White in color.

We aren't driving it at all right now as we purchased a Hyundai Kona, which we are really enjoying. So we might be purchasing a Hyundai Veloster N shortly and we have no use for 3 cars. It's in as new condition.

Anyway, if your interested give me a PM.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
3.3T is the way to go. Both engine will give you long life. I wouldn't worry about that
Well, to be honest if the car is under warranty then I would lend toward the 3.3T. However, turbo engines has more expensive components(turbos for example) that can fail outside of the warranty period in the long term. Plus, the 3.3T is still untested for long term use by actually owners, so there still may be many unknowns about the 3.3T engine reliability pass 100k miles. Hyundai seem to have dialed in the 5.0 V8 problem areas like the piston rings so no real surprises with the V8.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Well, to be honest if the car is under warranty then I would lend toward the 3.3T. However, turbo engines has more expensive components(turbos for example) that can fail outside of the warranty period in the long term. Plus, the 3.3T is still untested for long term use by actually owners, so there still may be many unknowns about the 3.3T engine reliability pass 100k miles. Hyundai seem to have dialed in the 5.0 V8 problem areas like the piston rings so no real surprises with the V8.
I agree. Under warranty, makes no difference. If you keep it well past warranty replacing a turbo has to be more than things like a sparkplug change.

rroyce46

Calgary Canada
Genesis Model Type
I drove a V8 AWD compared to my 3.8 AWD & found the extra weight of the motor on the front made the car feel heavy & somewhat ponderous in the corners. I would go for the hi torque @ low RPM twin turbo.That said I find the 3.8 has enough power for me & I don't like staggered wheels & tires on Sport & V8 (can't rotate to maximize tire life).
Also consider the standard Continental tires on V8 & Sport seem to be generally disliked compared to the Michelin Primacies on the 3.8. I also prefer 18 inch to 19 inch wheels & tires for comfort, replacement cost & protection from potholes. Just my 2 cents worth.

Crimson

Registered Member
Georgia, US
Genesis Model Type
5.0 V8 which is getting me 24-26 MPG on highway, which is a pleasant surprise. In Sport Mode, nothing replaces that power. (Granted, haven't driven the turbo) Love my 5.0 ULT.

omegafiler

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've driven all but the base 3.8. Notable driving observations as it applies to the 2018; I drove them all within a few days of each other.

3.3T RWD - Turbo provides that fun mid-range boost, making it feel faster than it is. Good power delivery though. Sport suspension feels ever so slightly more firm than non-sport. To the point where you could almost attribute to tire pressure difference. Steering gets loose at WOT due to front-end lift.
5.0 RWD - I think performance is very comparable to the 3.3T. You've just got a more linear power delivery with the NA motor. Same steering wheel sensation as the 3.3T during WOT. Due to such a quiet factory exhaust, you don't really get the full aural benefit of the V8 vs V6, unless you upgrade the exhaust.
AWD (Both) - When driven back-to-back, you feel the added weight in the front end. In particular when going hard into corners. On their own, you wouldn't notice. It's a heavy car, regardless. At WOT the car feels much more planted. You don't have that "light steering" sensation of the RWD model. Can't beat the four wheel traction benefits, regardless of weather conditions. Dry or wet, it goes exactly where, how, and when you want.

Of course my personal preference was the 5.0l V8 AWD that I purchased. I gotta have my 8 cylinders and all four wheels moving this heavy car. While I do live in the south, I do plan on taking the car on road trips across the US. Even if I didn't, wouldn't change anything.

But you want the best answer? Go drive them for yourself. Don't be afraid to drive it how you would on your own.
Try the different driving modes, various roads, etc. I'd just try to give the sales rep a heads up prior to any spirited runs or brake checks, if they happen to be ridding along. ;)

Good luck!

ewang

WI
Genesis Model Type
Thank you all for the great responses!

Also appreciate the tip on the staggered wheels - hadn't considered that as something to bring into the mix.

Genesis Model Type
I have a 5.0 AWD, with 94000km on it and climbing daily. Not a single problem so far. I suspect the reliability will be much better on the v8 compared to the turbo. I've driven my friend's 3.3t AWD and I'd have to say there is a slight hesitation off the line, but it feels quicker and lively than my v8. The acceleration is effortless on the 3.3t and that is a fun factor for me. For the short-term, I would go with the 3.3t because we are not sure about longterm reliabilty yet, but for the longterm, I'd go with v8. Good Luck with your purchase.

SuperKing

Registered Member
Vancouver, BC
If you do a lot of hwy driving, go V8. 80mph is like 2000rpm and you don't hear a damn thing.

Having owned 3 turbo cars including a YF Turbo, I learned not to leave home without a ratchet and a 10mm socket. Never know when the turbo pressure will pop a hose. The electronic wastegate in the YF went out of spec one day and left the wastegate stuck open not allowing me to boost. No boost, no power... The more complicated something is, the more problems you'll have down the road.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.