• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

AWD - V8 or 3.3T

phil1980

Getting familiar with the group...
3.3T is also recommended fuel premium, but regular is allowed.
And where is it recommended?

Manual:

3.3/3.8 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

5.0 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
And where is it recommended?

Manual:

3.3/3.8 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)

5.0 engine
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. For improved vehicle performance, premium unleaded fuel with an octane number ((R+M)/2) of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher is recommended. (Do not use methanol blended fuels.)
That's what it's designed to use, but premium is recommended as per the Genesis website and my Genesis rep:17987
Genesis G80 Sport | Genesis

phil1980

That's what it's designed to use, but premium is recommended as per the Genesis website and my Genesis rep:View attachment 17987
Genesis G80 Sport | Genesis
I would say the Owners manual is a stronger argument being an official document from the manufacturer while website and rep could provide incorrect info, but I hear you...

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I would say the Owners manual is a stronger argument being an official document from the manufacturer while website and rep could provide incorrect info, but I hear you...
Absolutely. Either gas is fine for it, but improved performance with premium. For most of us regular should be fine. I don't notice much of a difference with premium except when I'm paying at the pump lol. I do put premium once every month or two (I drive a lot and fill up 4x a month).

phil1980

Absolutely. Either gas is fine for it, but improved performance with premium. For most of us regular should be fine. I don't notice much of a difference with premium except when I'm paying at the pump lol. I do put premium once every month or two (I drive a lot and fill up 4x a month).
When I got G70 3.3T loaner (with supposedly the same engine as in G80 Sport) I was surprised to read that it was designed for Premium and Regular gas can degrade the performance.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
When I got G70 3.3T loaner (with supposedly the same engine as in G80 Sport) I was surprised to read that it was designed for Premium and Regular gas can degrade the performance.
That's what they say and probably is true, but I can't really tell much of a difference.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That's what they say and probably is true, but I can't really tell much of a difference.
I can't either. I thought I would use regular during the winter as I am not going to be hot rodding here in Wisconsin in the snow anyway and it saves about 6 to 8 bucks each fill. Thought I noticed a little difference at first but after a couple days it now seems to run just as smooth and quiet as ever. I believe it takes a few miles of driving for the computer to completely adjust to running regular and once it does if there is any difference I can't tell it. The power is still phenomenal.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
It is possible that the G70 has a more aggressive tune than the G80. I read somewhere that the transmission which is the same 8 speed has been adjusted to shift for better performance.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Surprising there are no reply's from those that have driven both...
I drove all three models, some of them a couple of times before making my decision. I was actually satisfied with the power of the 3.8 AWD. It was as good or better than my 2007 Azera. I didn't like the ride of the 3.3T Sport. Maybe it was the sample I drove, maybe flat spots on tires from sitting on the lot, but it was a much rougher ridding car than the other two. I ultimately bought the 5.0, largely because the 3.8 wasn't available anywhere nearby with an ultimate package. I'm glad it wasn't cause I really love my 5.0

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
There is feedback in this forum on the 3.TT versus 5.0 Ultimate here.

I test drove a 2018 G80 3.8, 3.3TT and 5.0 before purchasing the 3.3TT. My decision was based on purchase cost, options on 3.3TT not available on 5.0 and gas mileage (weighted at 49.5%/49%.4/0.1% ;)). The additional cost of the 5.0 did not justify the added benefits for me.

The maximum torque at low RPM makes the 3.3TT a heckuva a lot of fun as a daily driver. The twin turbo provides smooth linear power unlike a single turbo which can be rubbery/elastic/unexpectedly snap your head back upon hard acceleration.

Primary advantages to the 5.0 are better acceleration at HIGH speeds (+100MPH) and "bragging rights" (I got more "inches" than you do).

The primary disadvantages to the 3.3TT are complexity and reliability. A normally aspirated engine will LIKELY last longer than a forced induction engine. Forced induction engines have more moving parts and put greater stress on the engine. With this said though, I fully expect to get 150K miles / 10 years out of my 3.3TT.

The decision which to purchase is based on personal preference, priorities and availability of the vehicle.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I drove all three models, some of them a couple of times before making my decision. I was actually satisfied with the power of the 3.8 AWD. It was as good or better than my 2007 Azera. I didn't like the ride of the 3.3T Sport. Maybe it was the sample I drove, maybe flat spots on tires from sitting on the lot, but it was a much rougher ridding car than the other two. I ultimately bought the 5.0, largely because the 3.8 wasn't available anywhere nearby with an ultimate package. I'm glad it wasn't cause I really love my 5.0
I should have driven the other models. I only drove 3 different 3.3tt as I preferred the looks. ( I could have gotten the 5.0 for cheaper even though the list price was more expensive.) I did not feel like the 3.3tt rides much better than my Honda Touring in town but it is quieter and the engine is smoother. I am happy with the Sport but thought that the others might have a smoother ride especially the 3.8 with the 18 inch wheels. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Oh, and the other reason I didn't like the 3.3T was that it didn't have fog lights. I drive a lot of rural roads at night where there are lots of deer. Fog lights are a must.

Last edited:

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Oh, and the other reason I didn't like the 3.3T was that it didn't have fog lights. I drive a lot of rural roads at night with where there are lots of dear. Fog lights are a must.
Yep - I discovered the "missing" fog lights after I purchased my 2018 G80 Sport. It wasn't/wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. The Sport version has a different front bumper than the 3.8 and 5.0. In place of fog lights are "intake ducts". These ducts are likely for the turbo chargers, but may be only cosmetic/faux. Genesis/Hyundai could have squeezed fog lights inside of these ducts/toward center of car if they wanted to.

Regardless, the Full LED lights with Dynamic Bending light (3.8 Ultimate, 3.3 Sport and 5.0 versions only for 2018 G80) and High Beam assist are phenomenal. The LEDs light up the road well; projecting a very distinct line between lit and dark horizontally. Dynamic Bending shifts the light in the direction the steering wheel turns. The High Beam Assist (HBA) automatically dims the High Beams. The HBA feature actually works very well; dimming high beams when it detects oncoming traffic. Additionally the headlights are self leveling. If you've got extra weight in the trunk/boot (e.g. a few dead bodies ;)) It will level out the light projected by the headlights.

The options/packages for all 2018 G80 models are on pages 24-25 of the sales brochure here.

Last edited:

rbwillnj

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes, the auto dimming LED high beams are fantastic and a better option than fog lights for spotting dear. Unfortunately you can't always use high beams. I have the 5.0 Ultimate, so it has the Dynamic Bending LED Head Lights with Auto Dim. Still happy to have the fog lights.

Roc

Been here awhile...
Md
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
5.0 Tau is probably the more likely to choice. At the end of the day beyond warranty the 5.0 V8 will last considerably longer.

If you're interested I have a 2017 Genesis G80 Ultimate 5.0 Tau V8 for sale with less than 3K miles. It has the Platinum Service Package, Paint, Wheel $ Tire Protection included and is transferable. Paid Blue Link, latest Map updates, full 3M bra with 10 year warranty to include; 12" up the sides on doors, full frontal 24" up the hood, A-Pillars and Top of Pano Roof, Laminx Headlight Covers, Leather Dash and door covers, Full window Shade Kit to include the Pano Roof also and K& N Filters. The engine has a additional Prolong warranty and has been Prolonged for increased durability and longevity. It's in a heated garage and kept under cover. It's a New Mexico car and is spotless, Marble White in color.

We aren't driving it at all right now as we purchased a Hyundai Kona, which we are really enjoying. So we might be purchasing a Hyundai Veloster N shortly and we have no use for 3 cars. It's in as new condition.

Anyway, if your interested give me a PM.
$$$$??

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yep - I discovered the "missing" fog lights after I purchased my 2018 G80 Sport. It wasn't/wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me. The Sport version has a different front bumper than the 3.8 and 5.0. In place of fog lights are "intake ducts". These ducts are likely for the turbo chargers, but may be only cosmetic/faux. Genesis/Hyundai could have squeezed fog lights inside of these ducts/toward center of car if they wanted to.

Regardless, the Full LED lights with Dynamic Bending light (3.8 Ultimate, 3.3 Sport and 5.0 versions only for 2018 G80) and High Beam assist are phenomenal. The LEDs light up the road well; projecting a very distinct line between lit and dark horizontally. Dynamic Bending shifts the light in the direction the steering wheel turns. The High Beam Assist (HBA) automatically dims the High Beams. The HBA feature actually works very well; dimming high beams when it detects oncoming traffic. Additionally the headlights are self leveling. If you've got extra weight in the trunk/boot (e.g. a few dead bodies ;)) It will level out the light projected by the headlights.

The options/packages for all 2018 G80 models are on pages 24-25 of the sales brochure here.
Same thing happened to me, I missed the lack of fogs until after I bought it. I was surprised the Sport don't come with them, and Genesis could have added them if they wanted to and I think of it as a mod for cosmetics, but as you said the headlights are amazing.