Backup camera 2012 3.8 sedan failed

Terry T

Hasn't posted much yet...
Dealer wants $900 cdn plus install and tax! Anyone know wiring coming from monitor? It's only showing 6.5 volts on my digital meter. 4 wires -yellow (video feed?) red, black and white. Only live when in reverse. I got a camera on Amazon for $21 but not sure of wiring - don't want to blow head unit! Terry T

carlg

Dealer wants $900 cdn plus install and tax! Anyone know wiring coming from monitor? It's only showing 6.5 volts on my digital meter. 4 wires -yellow (video feed?) red, black and white. Only live when in reverse. I got a camera on Amazon for $21 but not sure of wiring - don't want to blow head unit! Terry T
Hi Terry,
I also have a 2012 3.8 Genesis Sedan and the same thing just happened to me. Car only has 51,000 miles. I haven't talked to the dealer service dept yet. What did you end up doing about your problem. Mine failure mode is when the car is in reverse the camera is only showing snow with the backup brackets overlaid.
Carl

Terry T

I bought a factory camera on eBay for $149. The tricky part is installing it. You must remove the plastic panel on the back of the trunk lid to gat at it. Remove the licence plate then tail lights and and then several clips holding the plastic panel to the metal trunk.
There is a video of Korean mechanics doing the on Utube. Search for "replacing/installing backup camera on 2012 Genesis - it is in several parts and very helpful. Good luck, let me know.

carlg

Hi Terry,
Thank you so much for the suggestion to watch the two YouTube videos of the Korean mechanics removing and installing the backup camera. Those were great if I ever need to actually replace the camera myself. Fortunately my Genesis is under 5 years old and has less than 60,000 miles, so the camera is still covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. However the service department tried to tell me that it wasn't covered, because the wiring goes through the navigation head unit. However when their warranty guru looked up the specific part number for the camera, it shows that part is covered for 5 years / 60,000 miles. I still haven't got the car back though because after they hooked up the replacement camera, it worked briefly when they first hooked it up, then stopped working before they reassembled the trunk pieces. They were on the phone for 2 hours with Hyundai "Tech support", and still hadn't figured out why the replacement camera stopped working so sent me home with a loaner car.:(

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums