DUKES103

Getting familiar with the group...
Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
i have a 2017 G90
both back up lights do not go on when i put the car in reverse
fuse is fine
is it possible if one backup light goes out they both go out ?
anyone have this priblem and if so the remedy is ???
dealer cant get to it for about a month
thank u all

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
You may want to call back and emphasize that this is a serious safety issue that shouldn't take them very long to address.

G-704880

i tried. nope cant get it in. i even offered to bring it to them nope
car is still under warranty for a few more months

DUKES103

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
here is the update:
dealer called me that they had a cancellation and would be picking up my car in two days
they came and got and left me a brand new right off the floor hyundi. they apologized it wasnt a G90 but i really didn’t care

next day got a call that there was nothing wrong with the back up lights and that they worked. after a few pictures back and forth, here is the issue:
if you look at the rear of the car on both sides of the rear license plate you have the brake light housing. if u look at the bottom of the housing right below the red tail light lens there is a almost clear strip of what looks like a clear section of lens that goes from one end of the housing to the other end. when u look at it , u naturally assume that thus almost clear lens is the entire backup light. NOPE. only about five inches or so of lens closest to the license plate is the back up light !!
the rest of this portion is cosmetic. only one led bulb on this small section the rest has no led bulbs to illuminate
they looked at another 2917, 2918,2019 and saw the same: only one back up light bulb

when they brought it back to me, i took the car that night to a dark road, put it in reverse and took a few pictures on what my nav screen showed: nothing but black other than red glow of my brake lights.
next day drove about an hour to dealer, saw the service manager, a real nice guy. showed him the picture. he really honestly couldn’t believe there was no rear lights illuminating what was behind the car when backing up
bottom line cant replace the bulb as it is a led bulb in a sealed unit together with the brakelights. cost about $350++ to replace the whole unit with no guarantee it will even solve the problem. (both brake lights units show about the same intensity )
he is going to contact genesis to see what they say
it is serious design flaw
sorry to be long winded
stayed tuned but from what I am reading in this forum I will not hold my breath in getting this fixed

DUKES103

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
spoke to Genesis they reported no other complaints. nothing the can do

DUKES103

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
i gave up the fight as it was talking to a wall. i sent them picturrs showing minimal light behind the. i even told them about potential liability. nada
if u get anywhere please let me know

AllaTurca

British Columbia; Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I rarely drive at night but I have recently found that the back-up lights are indeed completely inadequate and could be a safety hazard.

2019 G90 3.3T

bobferg2

Registered Member
Have no illunination when backing out of my garage. I keep my left foot on the brake to get a red glow for assistance. Let me hear that part again about Genesis being competition for MB and Lexus. These people are never going to make it as a luxury brand when they act like a Dodge dealership.

AllaTurca

British Columbia; Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have sent in a safety complaint to Transport Canada (Federal Government) which is responsible for setting standards and safety for vehicles in Canada and can require safety recalls etc.
There may be no useful effect but we will see.
Has anybody done this with the equivalent body in the USA? After all, the vast majority of owners of G90's must be in the US.

DUKES103

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
what is interesting is that even though we have, a substantial amount of 2017 G90 out there, only a few owners have acknowledged this issue. I suspect that unless there is a lot of owners complaining nothing is going to happen

from day one it appears Hyundi missed the boat. issues with back up lights, no software upgrade to GPS , dealership network, etc

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have an Ultimate and confess that I am almost never backing up in a spot where it is absolutely dark but where I am I never see a problem with the rear view when backing up at night. I don’t expect the light to extend very far but I can see several yards in back of me.

DaveK2

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Update on my passenger-side backup LED outage — it turns out mice made a nest under panel by rear seat. One wire was chewed through and 2 others were partially chewed. The dealer retired the assembly there and sprayed some substance to repel further infestations. All fixed.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums