• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Bad, Stupid, Unethical Service Dealer

Empty

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Took my 2011 Equus with 148000 miles to Hyundai of Orange Park due to my front air suspension going flat and my Adaptive headlight warning light being on. I asked them to look at those items and was informed that would be two diagnostic services at $149 each. I agreed and left the car that evening at 6:00pm. The following morning they called me at 9:00am to discuss my issues. Car needed two new front struts, a air compressor, two new headlight assembly's, a front parking sensor, a cruise control ECU, front bumper cover, fuel injection service, brake fluid replacement, drive belt with a free wash and vacuum. All that from diagnosing only the two systems I paid for. Total cost for these service..... ....., wait for it! $19,050.44

I am not kidding $19,050.44 to service a 2011 Equus with 148k miles.

Mind you the day before I was using the now defunct cruise control. When they brought the car out to the customer bay and the service writer and I were standing there the car made a clicking noise that the front end jumped a little. Even the service writer said that's your air compressor (remember the dead one) trying to lift the car.

I took the car home and started to research and repair.

Replaced both front struts with life time rebuilt units, Hyundai new ones have 1 year warranty, installed 1 used headlight assembly, plugged in the unplugged parking sensor. Total time for these repairs was less than three hours for an amateur, and a total cost of less than $750.

The car is up and running (away from that dealer) well. The dash says the adaptive cruise control is turned off, I am wondering if that was done by the dealer during the DIAGNOSTIC procedure.

SURE DOES NOT WANT TO MAKE ME WANT TO PURCHASE ANOTHER HYUNDAI, MUCH LESS RECOMMEND THAT DEALER FOR ANYTHING BUT CRIMINAL ACTION.

As a side note my wife, who also drives a 2011 Geneisis, came home and said she was looking at Orange Park Hyundai for a new Sonata. Sorry Hyundai of Orange Park but no new car sale for you.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Cut to the chase. It’s time for you to give that luxurious Equus to your wife. Then you can think about what car you want to replace your old Genesis with.

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That's an insane repair quote. Obviously they were trying to run you off.

I've always heard that one a used car reached a certain age, it's best to go to a local garage or do the work yourself. I've always preferred and used dealership repairs but I certainly would have walked away from that, too. What a joke.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Empty

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
And that is why I went to the dealer because the electronics is very heavy in this car and Hyundai seems to be the holder of the keys to that level of diagnostics for the Equus.

Love the car!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums