Bad, Stupid, Unethical Service Dealer

Empty

Equus (2011-2016)
Took my 2011 Equus with 148000 miles to Hyundai of Orange Park due to my front air suspension going flat and my Adaptive headlight warning light being on. I asked them to look at those items and was informed that would be two diagnostic services at $149 each. I agreed and left the car that evening at 6:00pm. The following morning they called me at 9:00am to discuss my issues. Car needed two new front struts, a air compressor, two new headlight assembly's, a front parking sensor, a cruise control ECU, front bumper cover, fuel injection service, brake fluid replacement, drive belt with a free wash and vacuum. All that from diagnosing only the two systems I paid for. Total cost for these service..... ....., wait for it! $19,050.44

I am not kidding $19,050.44 to service a 2011 Equus with 148k miles.

Mind you the day before I was using the now defunct cruise control. When they brought the car out to the customer bay and the service writer and I were standing there the car made a clicking noise that the front end jumped a little. Even the service writer said that's your air compressor (remember the dead one) trying to lift the car.

I took the car home and started to research and repair.

Replaced both front struts with life time rebuilt units, Hyundai new ones have 1 year warranty, installed 1 used headlight assembly, plugged in the unplugged parking sensor. Total time for these repairs was less than three hours for an amateur, and a total cost of less than $750.

The car is up and running (away from that dealer) well. The dash says the adaptive cruise control is turned off, I am wondering if that was done by the dealer during the DIAGNOSTIC procedure.

SURE DOES NOT WANT TO MAKE ME WANT TO PURCHASE ANOTHER HYUNDAI, MUCH LESS RECOMMEND THAT DEALER FOR ANYTHING BUT CRIMINAL ACTION.

As a side note my wife, who also drives a 2011 Geneisis, came home and said she was looking at Orange Park Hyundai for a new Sonata. Sorry Hyundai of Orange Park but no new car sale for you.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Cut to the chase. It’s time for you to give that luxurious Equus to your wife. Then you can think about what car you want to replace your old Genesis with.

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
That's an insane repair quote. Obviously they were trying to run you off.

I've always heard that one a used car reached a certain age, it's best to go to a local garage or do the work yourself. I've always preferred and used dealership repairs but I certainly would have walked away from that, too. What a joke.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

TinsleyC

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Dallas, TX
Genesis G80
Very true on the electronics. I would take that to the dealership.

Empty

Equus (2011-2016)
And that is why I went to the dealer because the electronics is very heavy in this car and Hyundai seems to be the holder of the keys to that level of diagnostics for the Equus.

Love the car!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

Clem

Equus (2011-2016)
And when i thought my dealership was bad. 🙄
I do not think it was criminal but very dishonest. They might have messed up something with the cruise control unit which cost close to $7000 new OEM. But it could be a simple fix such as a bad connection, or a small cable that got pinch...

Personally i do not go to the dealership anymore because of their repair staff which seem to not care much about their job and messed up things.
I got 5 things they messed up (that i know of). 3 being Benson Hyundai, 2 being Benson Collision Center. (All in Spartanburg, SC)

I ran my car in a big piece of wood one night and it damaged the front bumper and that 7 grand unit. (Back in 2015 or 2016)
- Got a quote at the Benson Collision Center, which was like 7800$, most of it being that unit to be replaced.

- I left them the car for 2 weeks (took a bit long for the part to be shipped i guess). Thank god i had other cars. After that, it had to have taken to Benson Hyundai for them to reprogram that ECU, but they offered me the option to take it themselves which was a good option and i accepted (good point for them).
- I went to pick up my car at Benson Hyundai. They also had it washed for no additional fees which was nice.

Now the issues i got from it.

1. I was driving on highway and i suddenly heard a loud rubbing noise from the front end. Thought i had blown a tire. Nope, they just had forgot to put screws on the underbody cover -_- Took it to the Hyundai dealership for them to fix it. Which they did for free.

2 Then I started to inspect more of their job. And those people at the Benson Collision Center did not change the fender liner, which i saw was clearly damages when i got them the car in. And insurance was going to pay for all of it minus the $500 deductible. So the front part of that fender liner was damaged and got "eat" by the tire.
I was tired of going there again, and since it was a month after the repair, i gave up, which i should not had done, but being a grad student at the time (35+ hours in school and then more at home to study for tests), i had not much time and had lot of other priorities. (Changed it recently myself, which cost me like $62, and add to adjust the other one on the other side because they didn't put it well into place like it was intended to)

3 To this day, there is still a 1cm or 1/2 inch gap where the bumper (which was new at the time after they replaced it) sticks out in front of the left headlamp. (Benson bodyshop issue i guess)

4 I took it once there for alignment (went to lakeview automotive before and after that incident for my alignment, they also perform a 27 point inspection for $50 or $30 if got the discount tire discount)
After the alignment at the dealership, my wheel was not straight at all when my car was... Had to go again and waste another hour for them to fix it.
Also instead of apologizing for the inconveniences, they turned it around and made it sounds like they were doing me a favor by doing another alignment for free. Like really?

5 Another time, when i took my car there for an oil change, they asked me if i would be ok to replace the air cabin filter. That was fine since it was very dirty and it was not that expensive.
About a year later, when I get to change that air cabin filter, i noticed that it was likely crushed in the middle at some point before it was put in, most likely at the dealership or during shipping, which would have been ok for that purpose as it was put back in its original shape if it wasn't for the fact that it left a 4 to 5 inches tear in the middle of it, thus making this part, a used and broken part that they charged me for.

Therefore, from now on, I choose not to go there. Not only are they expensive, but also do not deliver the type of service one should get for the money.
Thanks for reading 😅

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums