Battery/alternator issue

erikag14

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi, I have a 2011 4.6 with 70k miles. On Sunday, I was driving home (a 2 hour drive) and about an hour and a half in, my battery light came on. First the seat belt light on the dash came on, then turned off, then battery light turned on. I continued driving home, and about 20 mins later (already in town just need to get home) the light turns off. Same thing, seat belt light comes on, then battery light turns off. This is around 1 pm. I get home, shut off the car, wait a minute, turn it on, there is no light and it doesn't lag to start. A couple hours later I started it again, and same no problems. It is Tuesday now and the light has not come back on.

I took the car to O'reilly Monday, the battery and alternator passed. I called Hyundai, they said they wanted to test it as well. They said battery and alternator passed, but I should consider replacing the alternator. They want to charge almost $900. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue could be? Why the light was only on for 20 mins or so? And any advice on changing the alternator myself?

Thanks

erikag14

Genesis Model Type
Oh also, while driving with the light on, the nav screen would pop up an error message, something about turning the car on to avoid draining the battery while using it and then it would go away and I could use the screen

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

66nexus

Been here awhile...
I had to replace my alternator a couple of years ago and my car was exhibiting some of the same symptoms you're describing: battery and seatbelt light coming in intermittently; while driving the warning on the screen to 'use the media system with the engine running to avoid battery discharge'. That was while on the highway, I knew something was up. Alternator was replaced thereafter and all was well. My $0.02.

erikag14

Genesis Model Type
I had to replace my alternator a couple of years ago and my car was exhibiting some of the same symptoms you're describing: battery and seatbelt light coming in intermittently; while driving the warning on the screen to 'use the media system with the engine running to avoid battery discharge'. That was while on the highway, I knew something was up. Alternator was replaced thereafter and all was well. My $0.02.
Did you take it somewhere or did you do the work? I can’t seem to find any videos that show how to do it. Any tips?

Hero6

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Did you take it somewhere or did you do the work? I can’t seem to find any videos that show how to do it. Any tips?
I changed mine on my 2011 4.6. here is the link to the quick replacement write-up I posted. Sorry no pictures or video.

erikag14

Genesis Model Type

RemyBluePearl

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
So just recently I’m hearing like a grinding or whining sound not too bad but subtle from my alternator I believe. No lights have been popping up or error messages and I replaced the battery a month ago any thoughts?
That warning pops up when the accessories and used and alternator is not running. My guess is 90% sure the alternator or parts in it. Intermittent problems are very difficult to diagnose. Light a lamp that goes off and back on, when it is on it sure seems good.

Alternators do have electronics inside that could go bad. It may be cheaper to have yours rebuilt by a shop that specializes in doing that.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.