Battery/alternator issue

erikag14

Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi, I have a 2011 4.6 with 70k miles. On Sunday, I was driving home (a 2 hour drive) and about an hour and a half in, my battery light came on. First the seat belt light on the dash came on, then turned off, then battery light turned on. I continued driving home, and about 20 mins later (already in town just need to get home) the light turns off. Same thing, seat belt light comes on, then battery light turns off. This is around 1 pm. I get home, shut off the car, wait a minute, turn it on, there is no light and it doesn't lag to start. A couple hours later I started it again, and same no problems. It is Tuesday now and the light has not come back on.

I took the car to O'reilly Monday, the battery and alternator passed. I called Hyundai, they said they wanted to test it as well. They said battery and alternator passed, but I should consider replacing the alternator. They want to charge almost $900. Anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue could be? Why the light was only on for 20 mins or so? And any advice on changing the alternator myself?

Thanks

erikag14

Genesis Model Type
Oh also, while driving with the light on, the nav screen would pop up an error message, something about turning the car on to avoid draining the battery while using it and then it would go away and I could use the screen

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Oh also, while driving with the light on, the nav screen would pop up an error message, something about turning the car on to avoid draining the battery while using it and then it would go away and I could use the screen
That warning pops up when the accessories and used and alternator is not running. My guess is 90% sure the alternator or parts in it. Intermittent problems are very difficult to diagnose. Light a lamp that goes off and back on, when it is on it sure seems good.

Alternators do have electronics inside that could go bad. It may be cheaper to have yours rebuilt by a shop that specializes in doing that.

66nexus

Been here awhile...
I had to replace my alternator a couple of years ago and my car was exhibiting some of the same symptoms you're describing: battery and seatbelt light coming in intermittently; while driving the warning on the screen to 'use the media system with the engine running to avoid battery discharge'. That was while on the highway, I knew something was up. Alternator was replaced thereafter and all was well. My $0.02.

erikag14

Genesis Model Type
I had to replace my alternator a couple of years ago and my car was exhibiting some of the same symptoms you're describing: battery and seatbelt light coming in intermittently; while driving the warning on the screen to 'use the media system with the engine running to avoid battery discharge'. That was while on the highway, I knew something was up. Alternator was replaced thereafter and all was well. My $0.02.
Did you take it somewhere or did you do the work? I can’t seem to find any videos that show how to do it. Any tips?

Hero6

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Did you take it somewhere or did you do the work? I can’t seem to find any videos that show how to do it. Any tips?
I changed mine on my 2011 4.6. here is the link to the quick replacement write-up I posted. Sorry no pictures or video.

erikag14

Genesis Model Type

RemyBluePearl

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
So just recently I’m hearing like a grinding or whining sound not too bad but subtle from my alternator I believe. No lights have been popping up or error messages and I replaced the battery a month ago any thoughts?
That warning pops up when the accessories and used and alternator is not running. My guess is 90% sure the alternator or parts in it. Intermittent problems are very difficult to diagnose. Light a lamp that goes off and back on, when it is on it sure seems good.

Alternators do have electronics inside that could go bad. It may be cheaper to have yours rebuilt by a shop that specializes in doing that.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
So just recently I’m hearing like a grinding or whining sound not too bad but subtle from my alternator I believe. No lights have been popping up or error messages and I replaced the battery a month ago any thoughts?
Grinding sounds are not good. Could be a bearing going. I'd look for a starter/alternator shop and let them take a listen. Most of the shops will rebuild it for far less than a new one or even a rebuilt at the auto part store.

11Genny87

Genesis Model Type
I bought an altenator from autozone in my city (Philadelphia) it was $226 total. When u bring the core back, u get $76 dollars back. So roughly $150 for the alternator with taxes. I had the same issues with mine. It sounded like the "fan" inside the alternator was grinding against its shell. So I bought a new one and replaced it. No noise after that. I thought it was piston slap but it wasnt. I also changed my idler pulley, serpentine belt. I didnt know what my problem was with my car as the brake, auto hold, esc, epb and check engine light came on after I replaced them all. I put my diagnostic machine to it and came up with code p0101 which is the mass air flow sensor for roughly 86 dollars at autozone and now my car is breathing correctly. It was putting as if the spark plugs where bad and wouldnt accelerate everytime I hit the gas. Now all but 1 light is on and it's my check engine light. It still has the same code as p0101. Idk what it could be at this point. But it definitely made my car more responsive . Ps...changing the altenator is a b*tch! Theres no youtube videos or anything to help as it looked a little confusing as to how to remove it with such little room. But I made it work. Sorry for such a long paragraph...but it's my first post and it took me about 2 full days to fix my car with the 3 days of rain postponing it all

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
IF you're gonna wrench your own alternator, why not go the whole 9 yards and just rebuild your own alternator? It's NOT rocket science. For the alternator for my 3.8, a bearing is $10, brushes are $3, etc. Looks like a whole kit to rebuild one is about $50.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Never thought too. I have the money so I never thought too
I've done many things like that over the years. As I get older, I find it easier to write a check than pull wrenches.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
"If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball."

My comment wasn't regarding whether or not you have the money, it's "if you're turning a wrench (and obviously we do that for various reasons) to R&R and alternator, why not just rebuild the alternator. I've priced them for my Genny and I'll rebuild and use the extra $$$ for something else. As I have other transportation if I have to take the alternator out, it's no big deal, just a few dollars, and a couple of hou....I could've written a check to replace my spark plugs, too (or handed them plastic) but that was expense I didn't want to fork out and just did it for the cost of the plugs and some time, and a few beers. I'm 62 and take great joy in NOT writing checks....LOL....

11Genny87

Genesis Model Type
"If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball."

My comment wasn't regarding whether or not you have the money, it's "if you're turning a wrench (and obviously we do that for various reasons) to R&R and alternator, why not just rebuild the alternator. I've priced them for my Genny and I'll rebuild and use the extra $$$ for something else. As I have other transportation if I have to take the alternator out, it's no big deal, just a few dollars, and a couple of hou....I could've written a check to replace my spark plugs, too (or handed them plastic) but that was expense I didn't want to fork out and just did it for the cost of the plugs and some time, and a few beers. I'm 62 and take great joy in NOT writing checks....LOL....
Oooohhh I see what u mean. Tbh I was in a time jam. I live in Philly so parking is limited and where I pulled over at was a spot I couldn't park at. So I just bought another. If my car was at my house I wouldve tried rebuilding the altenator