Battery Discharging

Les173

Hasn't posted much yet...
I'm new to the forum so forgive any unintentional errors as I learn. I wasn't able to start my Genesis one day after the car hadn't been used for ~1 Week.
I disconnected the battery per the OM instructions. Upon reconnecting, the security alarm horn and external lights remained on and the car wouldn't start.
I called roadside service and they said the car would have to be towed to a dealer for the "computer" to be reset. I explained there was no warning in the OM and asked what one should do with a discharge battery if this reoccurred. He didn't know.

Upon further reading of the OM it appears that discharge can occur if the ignition push button is cycled to the ON position and left that way.
See OM Section 5 8. This can occur if the start/stop push button is depressed without pressing simultaneously on the brake for a START! How does one know if they inadvertently did multiple "pushes" without knowing depressed the brake? I don't believe the button stays lighted to indicate status.

The OM notes that if you leave the start/stop button in ACC position for more than 1hr the battery power will turn off automatically. There is no mention if the button is left in the ON position whether there is an automatic
disconnect.

I'm concerned that this may be the source of my discharge or something else as one contributor noted with the "missing bumper" on the underside of the hood that depresses a contact for the theft alarm.

To summarize:
1. What can be done to avoid a tow to the dealer for a discharged battery?
2. Are there preventative measures to avoid a battery discharge if there are
multiple pushes of the start/stop button without knowing the "left as"
status?
3. Are any of these issues further discussed in Hyundai technical documents?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long winded discussion.

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
Just to clarify -

You knew that you were not going to use the Genesis for about a week and you disconnected the battery? Then upon returning, you connected the battery back up and found the Genesis dead?

So with the battery completely disconnected it somehow lost all juice?

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
If you have a dead battery, then try charging it. You can charge it in or out of the car. It makes no difference. On recharge, the car should start and operate normally. Do this first before resorting to a tow to the dealership. Recharging a batter at a moderate rate will never hurt your battery or your car, but do avoid a heavy amp "quick-start" recharge.
My own experience was recent: I was traveling and parked the car at a remote location for 2.5 weeks. I disconnected the battery so as to stop the slow discharge that normally occurs with modern autos. On return, I hooked up the battery and the car started normally - no problems whatsoever.
I add a caveat to the above: if the car is in a discharged state, the ECU will internally "reset" to factory motor settings as certain capacitors therein discharge. When the car is restarted it starts in the initial factory settings and then the ECU "relearns" your particular motor. It takes a few miles. This factory "reset" usually takes at least 24 hours of disconnected battery, but it can also be done by simply disconnecting the battery leads from the battery and then connecting the positive and negative leads together for at least 30 seconds (I prefer five minutes to be sure). This kind of action will often clear false alarm check engine lights. Auto shops have often done this to confirm check engine light functions - they disconnect the battery for 24+hours parking the car along a wall - hence it is called a "wall job."
Note, while the ECU's engine-related capacitors discharge while the battery is disconnected, other capacitors and storage devices such as radio settings remain charged for much longer periods. Also, your odometer does not reset.
Whatever you do, I do not think it is normal for the battery to discharge so much after just a week's disuse. You can take it to your dealer and ask him to check the electrical system. You may have a substandard battery or a stuck open electrical circuit

nearwater

Been here awhile...
MI
Mine fired up just fine after 2 weeks of storage.
Plus, it was a leftover '09 and I'm sure it's been sitting on the dealer's lot for extended period of time.

Dan

Les173

To further clarify. I disconnected the battery per OM instructions after it had discharged within 1 week of disuse. I then recharged it and the previously noted issues occurred. I believe the response by Ray will help in the future.

I'm still concerned about the start/stop push button sequencing issues.

Thanks for your help.

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
Les173, I am wondering if you came across a condition that I noted: when I thought the motor and accessories were turned off I found out they were not completely turned off. I am not sure what caused this to occur, probably a driver error. Anyway, I found the electrics to be completely turned off only when the steering wheel assumed the "dead position" and the instruments were dark. To fix this I just recycled the motor on, and then off.

Disaster

Been here awhile...
My own experience was recent: I was traveling and parked the car at a remote location for 2.5 weeks. I disconnected the battery so as to stop the slow discharge that normally occurs with modern autos. On return, I hooked up the battery and the car started normally - no problems whatsoever.
I add a caveat to the above: if the car is in a discharged state, the ECU will internally "reset" to factory motor settings as certain capacitors therein discharge. When the car is restarted it starts in the initial factory settings and then the ECU "relearns" your particular motor. It takes a few miles. This factory "reset" usually takes at least 24 hours of disconnected battery, but it can also be done by simply disconnecting the battery leads from the battery and then connecting the positive and negative leads together for at least 30 seconds (I prefer five minutes to be sure). This kind of action will often clear false alarm check engine lights. Auto shops have often done this to confirm check engine light functions - they disconnect the battery for 24+hours parking the car along a wall - hence it is called a "wall job."
Note, while the ECU's engine-related capacitors discharge while the battery is disconnected, other capacitors and storage devices such as radio settings remain charged for much longer periods. Also, your odometer does not reset.
Whatever you do, I do not think it is normal for the battery to discharge so much after just a week's disuse. You can take it to your dealer and ask him to check the electrical system. You may have a substandard battery or a stuck open electrical circuit
So you had the battery disconnected for 2 and 1/2 weeks and you didn't lose any radio presets? On my other car I lost all of them every time I disconnected the battery.

If one parks outside they can use one of those solar devices that hook up to the lighter to keep the battery topped off. Inside, at home, they can plug in a battery tender.

ASHDUMP

Registered Member
I'm pretty sure I can leave my car parked for at least a month without driving it and it will start. Why even disconnect the battery?

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
Disaster, After 2.5 weeks of battery disconnected not only were my radio presets retained but also my navigation settings were retained. I was quite amazed by this as I too have experienced preset loss on other vehicles.

Contrasted, I had a check engine light appear because I forgot to reconnect the plug to the mass airflow sensor. Tried to reset using a ScanGuage through the OBDII port to no avail. Resorted to disconnecting battery for 24+ hours, which reset causing check engine light to turn off.

dpark02

I just bought a V8 (Tech package). After 500 miles (less than a week) I began to have Battery issues.

First the car would not start. The starter solinoid clicks but not enough juice to turn over. A jump starts the car but the battery does not maintain power. I tested the alternator and the tester shows that it is recharging.

I also have had XM radio shut off, radio / navi sound go dead, navigation resetting the programmed route while driving.

Even after recharging to 100%, the batery only has enough juice to start once or twice. This morning, I found something curious. While recharging the battery (charger indicator showed about 90% power) I opened the doors. Immediately the battery dropped to 20% (about 9 volts). As soon as I open the the door the voltage drops. It must be a electronic / computer issue.

As today is a holiday, I will be visiting the dealer tommorow. It's getting me nervous. Did I get a lemon?

If anyone else out ther have found a solution, or can advise what to do, please let me know. I will share any finding I get. I hope the dealer knows what they are doing. At least, I feel a little better that this may not be an isolated issue as I hjave seen other forums describe the same problems.

Dan

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
I just bought a V8 (Tech package). After 500 miles (less than a week) I began to have Battery issues.

First the car would not start. The starter solinoid clicks but not enough juice to turn over. A jump starts the car but the battery does not maintain power. I tested the alternator and the tester shows that it is recharging.

I also have had XM radio shut off, radio / navi sound go dead, navigation resetting the programmed route while driving.

Even after recharging to 100%, the batery only has enough juice to start once or twice. This morning, I found something curious. While recharging the battery (charger indicator showed about 90% power) I opened the doors. Immediately the battery dropped to 20% (about 9 volts). As soon as I open the the door the voltage drops. It must be a electronic / computer issue.

As today is a holiday, I will be visiting the dealer tommorow. It's getting me nervous. Did I get a lemon?

If anyone else out ther have found a solution, or can advise what to do, please let me know. I will share any finding I get. I hope the dealer knows what they are doing. At least, I feel a little better that this may not be an isolated issue as I hjave seen other forums describe the same problems.

Dan
I bet you just have a bad battery with one or more bad cells.

GripperDon

Been here awhile...
Bob is probably right. I have found that my battery will go dead if a trunk is left open over night. It also goes dead is not driven for 3 days. The do not run the multimedia sign comes on very quickly if I run the radion for just about 10 to 15 minutes. The battery seems very weak to me, I would love to replace it with an OPTIMA red head "If I could find one to fit and also accept the non standar Connections on the battery posts."

dpark02

OK Mystery solved (.. for good I hope)
I had to jump the car to get it to the dealer. At the dealer, the car starts up right away during their diagnostic, making for strange looks by the service technicians. Fortunately after about 3 starts, the car failed to start again. I guess they now believed me :)

To make long story short, it was the battery. Apparently there was an internal short. New battery was installed under warrantee and it seems to have fixed the issue. I am still leary because technicians still can't explain the shutting down of sound and navi while driving.

For now ... unless something else pops up I'm a happy camper

Strider

My 09 six cyl. (19 months and 19 K miles) has had battery replaced once after failing to start on three separate occasions (it had been to the dealer once where they ran diagnostics and recharged battery and said that was it, and then again where they diagnosed it needed a new battery, which they installed without cost - this was about six weeks ago). This morning went to start car and it was dead again. Did not hear solenoid although the inside lights did come on. Trunk had to be opened manually with key. Calling dealer again tomorrow. No inside lights were left on overnight, all doors and trunk were closed up tight, and I drive the car every day (at least every day that it will start). any ideas??

Strider

Well, it's fixed or so it appears. The pad or nub that is supposed to be in the hood (driver's side edge about half way back) and fits into a switch when the hood is closed, said switch being depressed then tells car's electrical systems to power down when the car is shut off, was missing. I was told it must have fallen out. I think the folks at the dealers probably missed this the first two times I took the car in. At least that is my hope.

mdeanster

Alabama
I had a similar experience with my 09 4.6 (12K miles) about 2 months ago. Dealer discovered a discharge exceeding by 20x what is normal for mainting memory settings and discovered the same under hood pad missing. It must be somewhat common to fall off. I don't know why it was missing, but probably worth keeping an eye on it when under the hood. When it's missing, it will definitely drain a good battery in a day or so. Two days and there's no power left at all.

RobinHood

Helena, MT
Strider – Our Genesis is about the same year and mileage as yours; 09 V6 with 20K miles. We’ve had a similar problem, car sits for 2 days and vehicle will not start, doors will not open electronically, etc. Trickle charger for a few hours brings everything back to normal. Car has been into the dealer twice (which is a 200 mile roundtrip, at least a day off work, and a pain you know where). Can you tell me a little more about the pad or nub? What does it look like? Is it on the hood or the car body? I don’t see anything except rubber ‘stops’ on the hood, and they’re not halfway up. There is a small (maybe 2½ inches long), paper-looking ‘stick-on’ on the top side of the engine compartment, but nothing obvious on the hood itself. Thanks.

mikec

Registered Member
SoCal
Open the hood. See the large black plastic trim pieces that run from above the radiator to just above the front tires? On the driver's side, look at the rear-most corner of that plastic. You'll see a round cut-out (just over an inch in diameter) with a rubber boot covered button switch poking through it. Verify the rubber boot is installed.

Then look at the underside of the hood along the driver side edge: you'll see a few rubber pads/bumpers attached to it. On the driver side again, there will be two pads: one that is over an inch in diameter - this is the hood "stop" that keeps the hood from vibrating while you drive; the second is smaller and further towards the rear of the hood. It's about half an inch in diameter, and 3/8ths of an inch tall... this is what should line up (lower the hood so it's almost closed) to push that button.

mike c.

RobinHood

Helena, MT
Thank you; I checked under the hood, found the lower switch and determined the upper piece is missing. I will call the dealership tomorrow and get a replacement part.

ld_gen

Strider, Mikec,

Thanks for your great information. I just learn new thing on the Genesis.

We all should be careful to occasionally check on this power down feature
under the hood.

Thanks again,
ld_gen

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums