Battery Issues with 2017 G80, please help, getting frustrated

jeffkruse

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
June of 2018 I purchased a 2017 G80 used. I went on a trip and not issues. Reached my destination and went out the next morning started and drove about 1 mile and shut off car and went inside store. Came back out and car was froze up, would not start, Did not understand it. Finally jump started it and got it to the nearest Oreilly's. They said it was the battery. Had them replace the battery. No issues until today. Today had freezing raining, driving home from work, in snow mode. Seemed like a loss of power as I was driving. Got home turned off car and went to start, Same thing, No lights when I open door, Car froze up won't start. Please Help

WPB

Hasn't posted much yet...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Check battery voltage with a meter. If OK (about 12.6 volts) check battery terminals for corrosion. If OK check the major fuses.

jeffkruse

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Ok, just went out this morning, car is in garage, and was going to put battery charger on it. Open the trunk with key, accessed the battery under the storage compartment, Check to see if the negative cable was loose, nope. Took off cover for positive terminal. Everything came back on. Car started right up. Let it run for a few minutes. shut off then turned on again. No issues. Ran the system check and everything came back with no issues. Weird

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
June of 2018 I purchased a 2017 G80 used. I went on a trip and not issues. Reached my destination and went out the next morning started and drove about 1 mile and shut off car and went inside store. Came back out and car was froze up, would not start, Did not understand it. Finally jump started it and got it to the nearest Oreilly's. They said it was the battery. Had them replace the battery. No issues until today. Today had freezing raining, driving home from work, in snow mode. Seemed like a loss of power as I was driving. Got home turned off car and went to start, Same thing, No lights when I open door, Car froze up won't start. Please Help
Difficult to diagnose long distance. Usually does not take much power to put interior lights on. Bad ground connection, alternator not charging. Check cables and ground. Check the connection between the wire and the connector itself.

WPB

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Your experience make it very unlikely the battery is bad. Checking and cleaning all those connections inside the box on the positive terminal would be my next step.

Gunny

Atlanta
Same problem with my 2015 Genesis. Second occurrence in as many years. Car is sitting in the garage after being driven with no problems a day or so earlier and then, as if by magic, has no power whatsoever. The first time this happened I called a tow truck expecting to have to go to the dealer for a new battery but, as others have noted, the car performed normally after a jump start. I replaced the battery anyway and now, not 2 years later the same thing. I just drove the car on Sunday with no problem and today [Tuesday] it is completely dead.

Thanks to this forum I now know I may not actually need a new battery. I'll check the ground connectors, etc in the trunk and see what I get. Still, not a very reassuring experience, and too bad, because this is otherwise an outstanding vehicle.

jeffkruse

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My wife just had this happen again today, after she took off the black plastic cover on the positive terminal she saw the lights come on and the car started. Is there some type of recall on this, since it happens to so many people

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My wife just had this happen again today, after she took off the black plastic cover on the positive terminal she saw the lights come on and the car started. Is there some type of recall on this, since it happens to so many people
Maybe a TSB, but not a recall. That is a different set of criteria. There has been a few complaints here, but we have no idea how widespread it is.

G-785212

Maybe a TSB, but not a recall. That is a different set of criteria. There has been a few complaints here, but we have no idea how widespread it is.
I'm no expert but this would appear to be a known [and sufficiently documented] issue. What higher standard of criteria is needed? Hyundai recalled my 2015 Genesis 5.0 because the [OEM] Hankoock] tires were too noisy. I wasn't even sure I agreed with them but this is potentially WAY more serious. There should be a recall.

G-435425

G-785212, I agree. I have a "brand new" (only 13,000 miles now) car that I purchased, and sold my old one, because I wanted a reliable car when I travel(which I do frequently). Now I worry more about this one being reliable more than my old car that had 150,000 miles. All the things above have been tried and I still get the issue. Does it have a battery module(Audi has these) and this is bad?

Gunny

Atlanta
Not sure why I'm referred to as G-785212 in post #10 above but here is what I experienced today.

1. Checked all connections for the battery. No problems found.
  2. Measured voltage at the battery terminals and then at the jumping post under the hood. Both measured a miserable 4.6 volts, so "dead battery."
  3. I [sadly] couldn't find my records so I drove my wife's car [Lexus] to my local Hyundai dealership. They confirmed I purchased the battery from them in November 2017 and that I could get 50% of the cost covered for a replacement. The caveat? They needed the car AND the battery to confirm my claim. I had just planned to bring in the battery as the car would have required a tow truck.
4) I was on my way out of the dealership when I asked "what is the total replacement cost of the new battery?" I was told it would be $389.00!!! I had done my research and knew compatible batteries could be found for almost half that price.

Long story slightly shorter, I believe Hyundai is ripping its customers off. At $389.00, had I used their warranty coverage I would have essentially been paying for a new battery anyway since 50 percent of $389.00 [$194.50] is roughly equivalent.

I decided to buy a new battery from my local auto parts store. It has a 3 year total replacement warranty and cost me only $200.00.

Shame on Hyundai for these tactics.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm no expert but this would appear to be a known [and sufficiently documented] issue. What higher standard of criteria is needed? Hyundai recalled my 2015 Genesis 5.0 because the [OEM] Hankoock] tires were too noisy. I wasn't even sure I agreed with them but this is potentially WAY more serious. There should be a recall.
recalls are typically for safety issues or manufacturing defects that can lead to a safety issue.

TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) are Manufacturer issue instructions on how to resolve an issue with a given vehicle, sometimes for "known" issues that have resulted in many customer complaints, most of the time as normal internal documentation and memorandums to supplement the Service Manual with updated information.

Insofar as the battery issue, I would start looking for a parasitic battery drain, there are many websites that give step by step instructions on how to find them.

and yes I agree ALL DEALERSHIPS rip people off for things like batteries, wipers, brakes, tires, and any other wear items. . You can't blame the manufacturer for dealer set pricing. . The manufacturer has an MSRP for the part, most dealers mark up 150%-200% over that MSRP.

jeffkruse

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Thanks for all your responses, but I can tell you mine is not the battery. I have a really weird issue. The history is in my first post. But when we wiggle wires or remove the plastic cover the lights come on and the car starts. Does anyone know if the G80 has a Battery Control Module like my Audi has, where of there is one thing that is draining the battery it shuts that thing off. If so, I wonder if that is my problem. or maybe a bad fuse? I should not have to worry about a car this new. Thanks

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Long story slightly shorter, I believe Hyundai is ripping its customers off. At $389.00, had I used their warranty coverage I would have essentially been paying for a new battery anyway since 50 percent of $389.00 [$194.50] is roughly equivalent.

Do you think other dealers are different? I would NEVER buy batteries or tires from a car dealer. Of course you use the Hyundai washer fluid you bought at the parts department too.
Oh, not just car dealers. Any machine maker will get you on spare parts too. Prices are often double or triple what a local supply house would charge.

Gunny

Atlanta
Not sure why you guys are ganging up on me as I am not the criminal here. :) In any case, I do understand basic economics and that is not what I was complaining about.

My wife is now a bit reluctant to even drive my car because it appears unreliable at times. Fortunately for us, both times my 2015 Genesis refused to start and required a brand new battery, it was parked in our garage. That may not be the case next time around and I'm not willing to take the chance. Meanwhile, our Lexus has never exhibited this sort of behavior. I doubt I would buy another Hyundai or Genesis vehicle and that's sad because they really are amazing if they could get past the reliability and support issues.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Not sure why you guys are ganging up on me as I am not the criminal here. :) In any case, I do understand basic economics and that is not what I was complaining about.

My wife is now a bit reluctant to even drive my car because it appears unreliable at times. Fortunately for us, both times my 2015 Genesis refused to start and required a brand new battery, it was parked in our garage. That may not be the case next time around and I'm not willing to take the chance. Meanwhile, our Lexus has never exhibited this sort of behavior. I doubt I would buy another Hyundai or Genesis vehicle and that's sad because they really are amazing if they could get past the reliability and support issues.
i didn't think I was “ganging up’ just posting info to clarify how dealerships work.

And FWIW the battery in my Lexus RCF died 3 times in 3 years of ownership. All three times leaving me stranded at work because it was after hours and dealerships were closed. Had to have the wife drive 35 miles to get me, the take me to work the next day and call AAA from work.

All three times the battery test at the dealership showed dead cells. All 3 were covered under warranty but the last one was prorated and cost me $100 out of pocket. And Lexus charged $589 for that battery.

Gunny

Atlanta
i didn't think I was “ganging up’ just posting info to clarify how dealerships work.

And FWIW the battery in my Lexus RCF died 3 times in 3 years of ownership. All three times leaving me stranded at work because it was after hours and dealerships were closed. Had to have the wife drive 35 miles to get me, the take me to work the next day and call AAA from work.

All three times the battery test at the dealership showed dead cells. All 3 were covered under warranty but the last one was prorated and cost me $100 out of pocket. And Lexus charged $589 for that battery.
Yep. Fair enough. We've all had our experiences. Personally, I've only had experiences like this with Hyundai. While I certainly have my problems with Lexus [price, not allowing me to control the NAV functions while in motion] the basic vehicle has always been rock solid. I LOVE my Genesis when it is behaving but it scares me that I can't always count on it to do so.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Do you think other dealers are different? I would NEVER buy batteries or tires from a car dealer. Of course you use the Hyundai washer fluid you bought at the parts department too.
Oh, not just car dealers. Any machine maker will get you on spare parts too. Prices are often double or triple what a local supply house would charge.
Don't know about buying batteries from a dealer, but as for tires;

I had a loaded Toyota Avalon. Needed tires. Checked all local tire dealers. In addition to costing too much, I had to put up with their BS. Service Manager got me the Michelins I wanted. Much less than the tire dealers. Asked him where he got them. Said he got them from Tire Kingdom. Funny that Tire Kingdom was one of the higher priced places I checked and I had to purchase their BS also. Service Manager said they (or Toyota) have an agreement with Tire Kingdom for special dealer price. More good news. After tech installed the Michelins, he went to align wheels. Told tech, no no, I did not pay for alignment. Tech told me that Service Manager told him to align, "On The House". That Toyota Dealer has the BEST Service Department. Phillips Toyota, Leesburg Florida.

Aurally

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Not sure why I'm referred to as G-785212 in post #10 above but here is what I experienced today.

1. Checked all connections for the battery. No problems found.
A word of caution regarding one detail. Often, people check the connection by checking that the screws are tight. This won't always work because of the unique battery terminal that is used.

Amazon.com: Genuine Hyundai 37260-2E100 Positive Battery Terminal: Automotive

The screw is not directly cinching the terminal, but relies on a transfer plate to pull the clamps tight. On my car, it won't cinch, the terminal is loose even if the screw is super tight. If the clamp can rotate around the battery nipple, it's too loose. I had to use vise grips to clamp it place before tightening the screw, just as described in this forum:

What did my bro do to his Hyundai??

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.