Battery warning light on

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I was driving around this afternoon and the battery/charge light came on & I started getting "Battery Discharge" warnings on the NAV display - seems to crank normally (for now). Think the battery's toast? It does appear to be OEM....

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
While the light may say "battery", it almost always really means there is a problem with the charging system (usually the alternator). If you have a voltmeter, you can check the battery voltage while the car is running. If it is below 13V, there is a charging system problem. (It used to be that you could say it must be between 13.8 and 14.8 volts, but now cars sometimes turn the alternator off if the battery is mostly charged.)

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Or run car over to Autozone or similar store for free battery/alt test.
Good idea. Happens to be one literally around the corner... I'm betting on the battery being toast though. Looks like it's OEM (no name brand, not even "Hyundai" on it) and the bolts/nuts look like they've never been touched.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Good idea. Happens to be one literally around the corner... I'm betting on the battery being toast though. Looks like it's OEM (no name brand, not even "Hyundai" on it) and the bolts/nuts look like they've never been touched.
If I had a 2015 I'd be swapping out the battery anyway. There are exceptions but most last 4 to 5 years. Better to change in on your terms, not on January 4th at 6 AM and 4 degrees.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If I had a 2015 I'd be swapping out the battery anyway. There are exceptions but most last 4 to 5 years. Better to change in on your terms, not on January 4th at 6 AM and 4 degrees.
Not much chance of 4 degrees in Houston TX - folks get jittery down here when it gets down to 54!

Agreed. I've never gotten more than 4-5yrs max. Had a friend that bought a brand new Ford Escape Platinum a couple of years ago & it's battery bit the dust within 2 1/2 months. Dealer said "it happens all the time"...

Last edited:

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
New Jersey now live in South Dakota
Genesis Model Type
Not much chance of 4 degrees in Houston TX - folks get jittery down here when it gets down to 54!

Agreed. I've never gotten more than 4-5yrs max. Had a friend that bought a brand new Ford Escape Platinum a couple of years ago & it's battery bit the dust within 2 1/2 months. Dealer said "it happens all the time"...
Look on top of the post of Battery, there should be a month and year etched into it. Thats how my original Battery and the new oem Battery showed the age..

Mboro5.0

Hasn't posted much yet...
I was driving around this afternoon and the battery/charge light came on & I started getting "Battery Discharge" warnings on the NAV display - seems to crank normally (for now). Think the battery's toast? It does appear to be OEM....
Alternator

RSpectnewbie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I had an older Pontiac Vibe that got 11 years out of the original battery. Mind you also got 10 years out of the water pump and starter motor and 15 years out of the alternator. Not bad for 370,000 K. :)
Also had a Camaro that ate batteries on a yearly basis for 6 years. :(

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Did you get your problem figured out skipgen?
Apparently it was the battery... I hooked up my tender to it and it was at 17% capacity. Went and picked up & put in a new AGM battery from Autozone. So far so good, the bat. light flickered for a few moments after start up and went out. Took a 6-7 mi ride after and everything seems OK (so far). Thought I was going to lose all my settings (tender cables came off) but that didn't seem to be the case - all presets are still present.

Guess the battery was from the factory - proudly made by K-Poppers... This is what it said on the side, I can't make this sh!t up. :LOL:

IMG_7883.jpg

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Apparently it was the battery... I hooked up my tender to it and it was at 17% capacity. Went and picked up & put in a new AGM battery from Autozone. So far so good, the bat. light flickered for a few moments after start up and went out. Took a 6-7 mi ride after and everything seems OK (so far). Thought I was going to lose all my settings (tender cables came off) but that didn't seem to be the case - all presets are still present.

Guess the battery was from the factory - proudly made by K-Poppers... This is what it said on the side, I can't make this sh!t up. :LOL:

View attachment 33225
No $hit?? The Battery I pulled out of my Genny had Hyundai Decals on it.. I glad you got her going. 👍

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No $hit?? The Battery I pulled out of my Genny had Hyundai Decals on it.. I glad you got her going. 👍
Think I may have spoken too soon.... Got back in the car about 30 min later and the light & other warnings came back on! :wallbash: What I don't understand is how I got away with driving around for 20 mins without any issues....

I'll 2x check my connections tomorrow, if that doesn't get it I'll get my Indie shop to test the alternator. :confused:

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
...:wallbash: What I don't understand is how I got away with driving around for 20 mins without any issues....
Because your new fully charged battery had enough power to go that long before its voltage fell too low with your charging system (probably the alternator) not working.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Because your new fully charged battery had enough power to go that long before its voltage fell too low with your charging system (probably the alternator) not working.
The odd thing is that the light initially came on after installation, then went out. But the alternator is the likely culprit...

Kraig Wilkinson

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Think I may have spoken too soon.... Got back in the car about 30 min later and the light & other warnings came back on! :wallbash: What I don't understand is how I got away with driving around for 20 mins without any issues....

I'll 2x check my connections tomorrow, if that doesn't get it I'll get my Indie shop to test the alternator. :confused:
Well that stinks.. It probably won't hurt to clean the posts on the new Battery and the cable ends. I was told by the AC Delco Battery tech guy that new batteries have a film on the posts. 🤷‍♂️

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Well that stinks.. It probably won't hurt to clean the posts on the new Battery and the cable ends. I was told by the AC Delco Battery tech guy that new batteries have a film on the posts. 🤷‍♂️
Cable ends were absolutely spotless... Think I'm getting good contact too. The shop manual ID's 2 possibilities other cables - alternator or loose serpentine belt.

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Did some investigation on my own... I came up with code P2501 - Alternator Warning Lamp, L-Terminal - Circuit High.

Also, the light seems intermittent. For example, when I first started the car today - the lamp was off. Came on when it warmed up a bit and 5 min later it went back off. Very weird.

Last edited:

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It's official... Alternator is toast. :suicide:

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums