"Belt replacement"?

bueller555

Getting familiar with the group...
My last oil service included a note that they recommend "belt replacement" on my 2009. Never had the belt replaced on the Genesis and wondered if I schedule to get this done, will they do the same thing like with my previous cars where they say that since I have the belts off, I should change my water pump, etc.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Changing the serpentine belt is a 5-10 minute job. I dont think having it off justifies changing any belt driven part that isn't bad. Plus a water pump isn't a maintenance part, you pretty much only change them out when they are actually going bad.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My last oil service included a note that they recommend "belt replacement" on my 2009. Never had the belt replaced on the Genesis and wondered if I schedule to get this done, will they do the same thing like with my previous cars where they say that since I have the belts off, I should change my water pump, etc.
Not the serpentine belt. If you had a car with a timing belt, water pump is a good idea since 90% of the labor is already done. Would suck to replace a timing belt and have the water pump die a few weeks later.

edizzle89

Registered Member
Columbus, IN
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Not the serpentine belt. If you had a car with a timing belt, water pump is a good idea since 90% of the labor is already done. Would suck to replace a timing belt and have the water pump die a few weeks later.
Very good point, which might explain why people suggested changing the water pump on his previous vehicles. But that shouldnt be an issue at both 4.6/5.0's and 3.8's are timing chain.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.