Bicycle Rack Possibilities for G70?

Patent1

Registered Member
Northern Virginia, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Have not yet checked with the bicycle rack manufacturers. Figured I would ask here first. So, has anyone mounted a bicycle rack on the G70 yet?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I looked at both the Thule and Yakima websites to no avail. I contacted Rack Attack as well and was informed that no roof rack is currently available for the G70. I spoke with the GXM and he advised that no rack is available directly from Genesis either. So, for the moment, it looks like we won't be putting anything on the roofs of our G70s. I'm crossing my fingers that something will become available in the new year as I sure hope to be able to transport my bikes and kayaks come the spring. Perhaps others in the forum have been given more promising news.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A hitch solution is coming for the G70 in Canada in the next few months, but that will likely be the only possible option. I don't expect a roof-mount option is possible unless you want to go the suction cup route. There are no factory pick-up points (roof is laser-brazed and has no ditch), so an OE-fitment rack is out of the question. Thule has also told us a clamp-on rack is likely not possible due to the extremely steep angle of the roof pillar profile. That leaves a Class-1 hitch receiver solution, which at least permits use of platform-style rear-mounted bike racks.

Patent1

Registered Member
Northern Virginia, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to start checking the Canadian site in March/April. Don't need one before that anyway....

DanG70

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to start checking the Canadian site in March/April. Don't need one before that anyway....
Personally I've decided to go this route in the spring for my G70. Best price I've seen is from the US site with a 15% off code they sometimes drop. You'll also need the axel spacer for your bike which are also on their website. They have 1, 2, and 3 bike mounting solutions.

Talon Rack - 1 Bike

Patent1

Registered Member
Northern Virginia, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hold off a few more days Dan. Genesis Canada has confirmed to me via e-mail they expect to offer a trailer hitch for the G70 this Summer:

"Thank you for contacting Genesis Motors Canada and requesting information on our new luxury brand.
We are developing an accessory hitch designed for the G70 that will allow you to carry items such as bikes, skis & snowboards.
This option is slated to be in market by Summer 2019.
For availability in the U.S., please contact Genesis Motors USA.
They can be reached by phone at 1-(844) 340-9741 Monday to Friday, 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM and Saturdays 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM.
You may also reach them via email at customercare@genesismotorsusa.com.
Regards,

Joyce"

I have asked Genesis USA whether they intend to offer this hitch:

"Gentlemen,
You recently informed me you could not confirm that Genesis will offer a hitch-based bicycle rack for my 2019 G70 Design Edition. Please see the attached e-mail received from Genesis Canada.
Could you please advise whether this rack will be made available in the US? If not, would you please confirm a US owner will be able to purchase the Canadian rack and have it installed without affecting his US warranty.
Thank you in advance."

I'll update as soon as I receive a definitive answer.

Jim

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hold off a few more days Dan. Genesis Canada has confirmed to me via e-mail they expect to offer a trailer hitch for the G70 this Summer:

"Thank you for contacting Genesis Motors Canada and requesting information on our new luxury brand.
We are developing an accessory hitch designed for the G70 that will allow you to carry items such as bikes, skis & snowboards.
They can be reached by phone at 1-(844) 340-9741 Monday to Friday, 5:00 AM - 7:00 PM and Saturdays 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM.
Regards,

Joyce"

"Gentlemen,
You recently informed me you could not confirm that Genesis will offer a hitch-based bicycle rack for my 2019 G70 Design Edition. Please see the attached e-mail received from Genesis Canada.
Could you please advise whether this rack will be made available in the US? If not, would you please confirm a US owner will be able to purchase the Canadian rack and have it installed without affecting his US warranty.
Thank you in advance."

Jim
Installing a hitch would be so ugly and expensive...not even funny. Plus you have to get a hitch mounted bike rack. So close to a grand?

Just get a trunk mount...plenty of good ones out there.

DanG70

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

Regards,

Joyce"

"Gentlemen,
Thank you in advance."

Jim
My dealership here in Canada confirmed the hitch is in development prior to my purchase last month. Without seeing what it looks like installed I'm still leaning toward the Seasucker Talon mount. Let me know when what you decide and post a photo when you pull the trigger.

As for trunk mounts they rub no matter how good they are IMO.

Dan

Patent1

Registered Member
Northern Virginia, USA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Looks like we will have to buy the hitch from Genesis Canada:

"Dear James:
Thank you for contacting Genesis Motor America.
We have received an answer to your inquiry regard to the availability of a bike rack for your 2019 GENESIS G70 (IK) 3.3T. We would not be able to provide rack availability since this is not manufactured by Genesis. Your patience was greatly appreciated.
Thank you for contacting Genesis Motor America."

IMHO, the hitch solution sight unseen is/will be the best alternative. Such mounts are easy to install and remove, do not interfere with trunk operation, and are relatively inconspicuous. Securing a bike to the rack is easy.

Beefer, I have owned/used trunk mounts and they are a pain. They rub the paint, make the trunk useless while mounted, and have straps "blowin' in the wind". An inelegant solution.

I've never owned a roof mount so I can only speculate. That said, the Seasucker Talon roof mount looks like a lot more work that simply hanging a bike on a trailer hitch rack. Plus, I would probably forget about the bike and try to drive the car into my garage, with results similar to Titanic meeting the iceberg.

Jim

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
We're working closely with our vendor to get the hitch sorted. It will be quite discreet, with a single post/receiver dropping down just below the diffuser. All other parts tucked up above the mufflers. It's been slow going as the rear packaging of the car is extremely tight, but I think we're almost there.

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Picking up on DanG70's suggestion of the Seasucker Talon, I took a look at Seasucker's other products and I see that they have a cross-bar rack system, Monkey Bars. Anyone have any past experience with this type of suction-cup rack? From the research I've done, these racks are capable of holding 150 lb loads. My big question is what is the load capacity of the G70's roof/sunroof? I'm looking for something that can accommodate a windsurfer (30 lbs) or two Kayaks (56 lbs each). Patrick (PD705) - any thoughts?

PD705

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Picking up on DanG70's suggestion of the Seasucker Talon, I took a look at Seasucker's other products and I see that they have a cross-bar rack system, Monkey Bars. Anyone have any past experience with this type of suction-cup rack? From the research I've done, these racks are capable of holding 150 lb loads. My big question is what is the load capacity of the G70's roof/sunroof? I'm looking for something that can accommodate a windsurfer (30 lbs) or two Kayaks (56 lbs each). Patrick (PD705) - any thoughts?
Hasn't been tested so I have no idea - sorry.

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Kinda an old thread but I'm ordering a setup that's compatible with the Kia Stinger from Yakima to see how it works (CoreBar). I'm wanting a bike rack or cargo rack option.

I've seen some pics on the Stinger forum and I found a Stinger driver in the wild to compare door/body construction and it looks like both cars are similar enough that I'm going to try it. Biggest issue I see so far is roof length and sunroof.

DanG70

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Kinda an old thread but I'm ordering a setup that's compatible with the Kia Stinger from Yakima to see how it works (CoreBar). I'm wanting a bike rack or cargo rack option.

I've seen some pics on the Stinger forum and I found a Stinger driver in the wild to compare door/body construction and it looks like both cars are similar enough that I'm going to try it. Biggest issue I see so far is roof length and sunroof.

Let me know how that works for you. Still waiting on a solution

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm about to pull the plug and install a Curt receiver hitch on my G80. A few minutes ago I checked to see if they had a unit for the G70, but couldn'find on. If you need more storage space for luggage, the roof rack is probably the way to got. However it the main reason is for bikes, hard to be a receiver hitch bike rack. Easy on and off.

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Update: went to a local shop (shop local when I can) and they helped me size up with a mock install using Yakima specifications for the Kia Stinger using the base towers & small CoreBar. So far it looks like it'll work, even with enough clearance for the sunroof opening and closing. Not sure yet about the bike holder- The Forklift should work- but thinking a cargo carrier or basket won't work with an open sunroof because of the CoreBar clips.

They were missing one set of base clips which should be in Tuesday, otherwise I'd be posting pics right now. I'll have an installed update with pics probably Wed or Thursday.

Absintheuphoria

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sorry for the delay... The Yakima rack didn't work so I ordered and am now trying the Thule Wingbar Evo... Just installed it this evening.

So far it hasn't flown off and killed anyone on the hwy. Next I'll try a bike mount before trying a bike.

I'll post pics and specs later, but the only adjustments I had to make from the Stinger kit was make the rear posts set to #44 width instead

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.