Bitten by the G70 Bug

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Despite having bought a CPO G37x just last January, I've already started thinking about my next ride. I guess when I was buying it, I failed to account for the fact that I'm me and I constantly want a new car. For what it's worth, I like the G37 well enough, but having driven stick shift cars for years previously, Infiniti's 7-speed auto just sucks. I know there are good automatics out there, but that isn't one of them, and it annoys me every time I drive it.

Anyway, a month or two ago I decided to go test drive both a G70 3.3 AWD and the new G20 BMW 330i xDrive on the same day. I drove the Genesis first and was seriously impressed. I was ready to be wowed by the BMW after that, but came away underwhelmed. I'm sure the 6 vs 4 cyl. had something to do with it, but the Genesis was not only faster, but just drove better overall. It didn't help the BMW that the cars had similar MSRP's, and while the G70 had tons of feautures, the BMW was basically a stripper.

I definitely caught the bug, because I'm constantly looking at the forums and checking lease incentives, etc. It doesn't help that the exact car I want (3.3 Prestige, Mallorca Blue, Grey Quilted Interior) is sitting at the closest Genesis/Hyundai dealer to me. My only reservation is that the car is pretty new and has accumulated some accolades, so I don't know if dealers are dealing. The lease residuals aren't great either, and I'd be taking at least somewhat of a bath on the Infiniti.

Anyway, that's my story and I hope to be part of the club soon enough.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Sethsquire, look up r_Spec on this forum and see if he’ll help you out with a Circle plan. That gives you a 3% discount + any incentives. Does that help with your decision? :p

FWIW, I traded a 2014 BMW F30 and have zero regrets. The BMW was nice, but the G70 is just more satisfying in so many ways, it was an easy decision for me.

You will likely take a hit on the Infiniti, but I think that vehicle is on the list for “conquest cash”, so that money (I think it’s $1K) will help take the sting out of trading in the G37.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks, RTK! I was reading some of the other threads and saw it was a 3% discount off invoice, which based on my calculations would be about 8% off MSRP. I also grabbed a $1000 coupon at the NY auto show... I wonder if that would stack with the lease cash and conquest? In any event, I'll try and track down r_spec. I keep checking to make sure the dealer hasn't sold "my" car, so I've got the sickness for sure.

I've driven some modern BMW's and while they're nice, I don't feel like they really have much to offer over the competition any more (though my uncle's i8 which i drove for a minute was pretty sweet). I actually test drove a Mercedes C300 sport a while back and liked it more than any of the recent beemers in terms of steering, handling, interior, etc.

FornicatorSteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
Central Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I went to test drive one on a whim after having the loose idea of wanting on (coming from a 2015 Genesis sedan).

That was a huge mistake, I've got the fever and I have a feeling I'll be driving one by the end of the year and my mom will be driving the '15!

Such a costly decision for a 15 minute test drive...

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
"...the exact car I want (3.3 Prestige, Mallorca Blue, Grey Quilted Interior) is sitting at the closest Genesis/Hyundai dealer to me..."

That's exactly the car I'm looking for. Nearest one is 272 miles away from me in Florida. You'd better grab yours before I find it!
The same spec I am looking for, I am in Nashville

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Uh oh... I smell an old fashioned standoff coming on!

View attachment 19971
You will beat me to it, my purchase will be only happening after I sell a house that I about to list and as a true European I have time when I buy a new car (I had my current one custom ordered just to have the color combination that I wanted), I will live with the car for several years, I'd rather wait a few weeks than compromise on color and configuration (and I hesitate with the Havana Red anyway ;-))

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You will beat me to it, my purchase will be only happening after I sell a house that I about to list and as a true European I have time when I buy a new car (I had my current one custom ordered just to have the color combination that I wanted), I will live with the car for several years, I'd rather wait a few weeks than compromise on color and configuration (and I hesitate with the Havana Red anyway ;-))

Oh I was just joking around since 3 of you guys want the same car and you live in the same quarter of the country! Haha. As for me, I already have my dream G70. Flew out of state to get it like a fool. 🙂

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Just went to check it in person. the dealership in Nashville just received them but they cannot sell them (or let them test drive) yet, waiting for their license. It is NICE, now I really cannot wait. It looks fantastic in person.

littlebuddha

Registered Member
Hi quick question, when is the expiry date for the auto show coupons? Thanks.

Thanks, RTK! I was reading some of the other threads and saw it was a 3% discount off invoice, which based on my calculations would be about 8% off MSRP. I also grabbed a $1000 coupon at the NY auto show... I wonder if that would stack with the lease cash and conquest? In any event, I'll try and track down r_spec. I keep checking to make sure the dealer hasn't sold "my" car, so I've got the sickness for sure.

I've driven some modern BMW's and while they're nice, I don't feel like they really have much to offer over the competition any more (though my uncle's i8 which i drove for a minute was pretty sweet). I actually test drove a Mercedes C300 sport a while back and liked it more than any of the recent beemers in terms of steering, handling, interior, etc.