Black-ish Transmission Fluid @ 33k.

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hey guys,

My 8 speed ZF in my 2012 R spec 5.0 has had some rough shifting from 2-3, 4-5 and occasionally 6-7 will slip 50-100RPM. Sometimes in intermittent times, 2-3 will slip 100 RPM or so before it catches gear. But it's nothing overly dramatic at this point. The shifts are rougher than normal where you feel a small bump in your seat but not like other trans issues where people have described the RPMs jumping several hundred then slamming into gear.

Well anyways the car only has 33k miles. I've owned it since 21k last February. It's super low mileage and came from Miami so I can only assume it was owned by a snowbird who used it to travel when in town. But I could be wrong.

So I had the transmission fluid drained and filled at Fitzgerald Hyundai of Clearwater (forgot to ask about filter change... hope they just did it anyways cause it should be a given but I doubt it)
And i asked them to provide me a sample of the fluid that came out for analysis.

Well my fluid came out extremely dark and watery consistency. I know it's supposed to be a bright clear red. BUT I poured it in a cup and while pouring I was looking for metal flakes or any debris in the fluid and didnt see anything (although it could have just not been in the sample) and from what I've read and researched, if it's as dark as mine is it should probably smell obviously burnt.

The thing is that when me or my fiancé smell it, we wouldnt classify the smell as burnt. More like a plastic smell which could quite literally be the water bottle they bottled the fluid with. The smell wasnt putrid or anything that set you back with a disgusted face. I wouldn't even say it smelled bad to be honest. Smelled like a fluid should probably smell.

So I've driven about 100 miles since the change and so far I havent had any slippage or issues that some have described you might have by changing the fluid when it's that dark. Alot of people say it could kill your trans if you change it when it's like that due to suspended clutch fragments in your fluid in the torque converter etc. BUT I also wouldnt describe my results as having any better performance than it did before the fluid change. It's about neutral as far as any changes. Still get a rough shift 2-3 although it feels like sometimes it's less harsh than before and 4-5 seems to engage better with less roughness than before but only like a 10% difference at best.

Anyways, what's the chances that my transmission is still good and just needs to get that old fluid out? I was planning on doing another drain and fill and filter change in another 4 weeks or about 800-1000 miles.

Side note: I have taken this car to the strip a few times and ran it pretty hard. Although I dont know for sure how much of a beating this car can take before the trans is overheating and burning fluid. When i say hard i mean about 4-5 pedal to the metal runs in a row with about 5-10 mins waiting/idling between runs depending on the line. Then I would usually let it cool with engine off and hood open for about 20-30 mins before I'd run it again a few more times. Not sure how many runs would take the tranny over 220 degrees though (which is when fluid starts burning)

So in conclusion, am I screwed or you think I might have a good chance still because the fluid didnt seem burnt, just really dark brown in color. I'd almost describe the color in the bottle as a midnight purple color and when poured on a paper towel it is the color of coffee with creamer in it. The smell is kinda like an off plastic smell but I really cant describe it. But nothing that takes you back like smelling a bad fart would. Definitely doesnt smell what I would call "burnt" though.

Thoughts?

Attachments

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
First the 2012 Genesis 5.0 does not have a ZF transmission. Second the new synthetic transmission fluids are several colors or even clear. Some are light red, some dark red, some blue, some gold, some green, clear etc. With the low miles my guess is that the transmission should be ok, However the early Hyundai 8 speed did have some hard shift problems which you can search on this forum.

Gunkk

Registered Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Black fluid always needs replacement. Plastic smell is almost always clutch material. The car is what 7-8 years old now... and even with low miles nothing lasts forever and that includes tranny fluid. Life happens.

If Fitzgerald did not do a flush to clear out the torque converter, then do this. Otherwise you'll have ~1/2 to 2/3 of the bad fluid still in there.

If the car is shifting better after the change, then 90% chance you'll be fine going forward with the additional flush and filter.

Last edited:

G-431944

Black fluid always needs replacement. Plastic smell is almost always clutch material. The car is what 7-8 years old now... and even with low miles nothing lasts forever and that includes tranny fluid. Life happens.

If Fitzgerald did not do a flush to clear out the torque converter, then do this. Otherwise you'll have ~1/2 to 2/3 of the bad fluid still in there.

If the car is shifting better after the change, then 90% chance you'll be fine going forward with the additional flush and filter.
They say not to do a flush because of possible clutch material being the only thing helping create friction material between the gears that's why I'm slowly introducing new fluid via drain and fills

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Hey guys,

My 8 speed ZF in my 2012 R spec 5.0 has had some rough shifting from 2-3, 4-5 and occasionally 6-7 will slip 50-100RPM. Sometimes in intermittent times, 2-3 will slip 100 RPM or so before it catches gear. But it's nothing overly dramatic at this point. The shifts are rougher than normal where you feel a small bump in your seat but not like other trans issues where people have described the RPMs jumping several hundred then slamming into gear.

Well anyways the car only has 33k miles. I've owned it since 21k last February. It's super low mileage and came from Miami so I can only assume it was owned by a snowbird who used it to travel when in town. But I could be wrong.

So I had the transmission fluid drained and filled at Fitzgerald Hyundai of Clearwater (forgot to ask about filter change... hope they just did it anyways cause it should be a given but I doubt it)
And i asked them to provide me a sample of the fluid that came out for analysis.

Well my fluid came out extremely dark and watery consistency. I know it's supposed to be a bright clear red. BUT I poured it in a cup and while pouring I was looking for metal flakes or any debris in the fluid and didnt see anything (although it could have just not been in the sample) and from what I've read and researched, if it's as dark as mine is it should probably smell obviously burnt.

The thing is that when me or my fiancé smell it, we wouldnt classify the smell as burnt. More like a plastic smell which could quite literally be the water bottle they bottled the fluid with. The smell wasnt putrid or anything that set you back with a disgusted face. I wouldn't even say it smelled bad to be honest. Smelled like a fluid should probably smell.

So I've driven about 100 miles since the change and so far I havent had any slippage or issues that some have described you might have by changing the fluid when it's that dark. Alot of people say it could kill your trans if you change it when it's like that due to suspended clutch fragments in your fluid in the torque converter etc. BUT I also wouldnt describe my results as having any better performance than it did before the fluid change. It's about neutral as far as any changes. Still get a rough shift 2-3 although it feels like sometimes it's less harsh than before and 4-5 seems to engage better with less roughness than before but only like a 10% difference at best.

Anyways, what's the chances that my transmission is still good and just needs to get that old fluid out? I was planning on doing another drain and fill and filter change in another 4 weeks or about 800-1000 miles.

Side note: I have taken this car to the strip a few times and ran it pretty hard. Although I dont know for sure how much of a beating this car can take before the trans is overheating and burning fluid. When i say hard i mean about 4-5 pedal to the metal runs in a row with about 5-10 mins waiting/idling between runs depending on the line. Then I would usually let it cool with engine off and hood open for about 20-30 mins before I'd run it again a few more times. Not sure how many runs would take the tranny over 220 degrees though (which is when fluid starts burning)

So in conclusion, am I screwed or you think I might have a good chance still because the fluid didnt seem burnt, just really dark brown in color. I'd almost describe the color in the bottle as a midnight purple color and when poured on a paper towel it is the color of coffee with creamer in it. The smell is kinda like an off plastic smell but I really cant describe it. But nothing that takes you back like smelling a bad fart would. Definitely doesnt smell what I would call "burnt" though.

Thoughts?
Assuming you have no warranty left, you are likely SOL. Unless it was a CPO, you lost the 10/100,000 drivetrain warranty when you bought the car. Then you ran it hard at the strip?

Jabald

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
If your shifting is bearable, I would go for another drain and fill. You want a small amount of clutch particles in your fluid to increase the grip ever so slightly. There are too many stories of flushing the transmission and then having it slip or shift even worse than before! Even worse than that, when you flush a transmission, you can lodge those clutch particles in places where they should NOT go. The machine they use to flush transmissions sucks and pushes fluid in a way that would never happen when the car is running. The safest route is to change all the fluid out in increments!

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

The only reason I went the drain and fill route is because I've heard horror stories of the clutch material being the only thing allowing it not to slip gears and for that reason I'm trying to slowly introduce the new fluids so as to not shock the system. I'm going to have it tested and serviced on the 13th to see if I can get some answers or solutions, and if I don't get any good news, I will probably do another drain and fill after its been about 1000 miles and then maybe 1 final one 1000 miles after that. At that point the fluid should be about 99% new and I'll either have fixed the problem or made it worse. LOL. Only one way to find out...
If your shifting is bearable, I would go for another drain and fill. You want a small amount of clutch particles in your fluid to increase the grip ever so slightly. There are too many stories of flushing the transmission and then having it slip or shift even worse than before! Even worse than that, when you flush a transmission, you can lodge those clutch particles in places where they should NOT go. The machine they use to flush transmissions sucks and pushes fluid in a way that would never happen when the car is running. The safest route is to change all the fluid out in increments!
Its bearable right now. Its most noticeable 2 to 3 where its like a thud, but it usually goes right into gear with no slippage, just a rough shift that can be felt in the seat. Occasionally with some driving I will get a weird shift somewhere in the middle gears that will either be too abrupt or slip a little and after that the 2 to 3 shift becomes a light slip until the car sits for a bit then it just goes back to rough shifts again. Several of my gears shift smoothly most of the time but 99% of 2 to 3 shifts are rough.

Nolfol

Hasn't posted much yet...
My 2013 was doing that at 55k ..the dealership
Tried re programming it twice no change ,they ended up replacing the tranny under warranty I was the third owner bought it with 32k on it the warranty bumps down to 6 yr 60k for second owner not sure for third ....think I got lucky lol if CPO then it retains 10 yr 100k check with the dealer might be a good idea cause there not cheap to replace good luck

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Update:

Dealer put the wrong fluid in my car during the drain and fill and is going to perform a flush on the transmission as a result to get the right fluid in. Hoping for no trans damage but really it should be on them if it breaks now because of their mistake...

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Update: went in for the flush they recommended and as expected the transmission is slipping like hell from gears 2 to 3. The rest of the gears are somewhat tolerable. But the poor shift from 2 to 3 has amplified almost 3 times worse. They said drive it a few days and if it's still acting up to bring it in for "the next step" which they did not specify what that would be. I was told they manually reset the TCM or something along those lines which I had read on here makes things much worse for our peers.

Jabald

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Update: went in for the flush they recommended and as expected the transmission is slipping like hell from gears 2 to 3. The rest of the gears are somewhat tolerable. But the poor shift from 2 to 3 has amplified almost 3 times worse. They said drive it a few days and if it's still acting up to bring it in for "the next step" which they did not specify what that would be. I was told they manually reset the TCM or something along those lines which I had read on here makes things much worse for our peers.

o_O Can’t blame yourself for having them fill it with the wrong fluid. I would have made them do 4-5 drain and fills until you have at least 95% correct fluid throughout the transmission. I would demand to have them fix the transmission at whatever cost.

Nolfol

Hasn't posted much yet...
I see a new transmission in your future and I would push for it

OUsig

Been here awhile...
McKinney TX
Genesis Model Type
o_O Can’t blame yourself for having them fill it with the wrong fluid. I would have made them do 4-5 drain and fills until you have at least 95% correct fluid throughout the transmission. I would demand to have them fix the transmission at whatever cost.
agreed - as I believe there is another similar thread going? The whole time it sounded like they put the wrong fluid in
I am now at 107,000 miles and (knock on wood) transmission shifts great in all conditions. I have had 1 drain fill (about 5 quarts) at the local dealership done around 85,000 miles

Rspected

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Another update: after a few days it seems to be smoothing out quite a bit especially where it used to be rough between 2-3. Still minor slippage in some higher gears but it's very minor and tolerable. Crossing my fingers it stays the same consistently. Will keep updated

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.