Blind Spot Detection - Fix or Replace BSD

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I searched past threads on this subject and replied to one from December. I didn’t realize until afterward but thread I posted in was from the Off Topic forum and I have yet to get a response from my post after the Super Bowl.

Below is my copy and paste from previous post. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Previous thread link: G80 BSD problem!

I had someone back in to me last week in the parking lot. It was a low speed tap and the guy that hit me offered to pay out of pocket so I went to a paint shop I’ve used previously. I picked up the car Friday and the $350 cosmetic touchup turned out horrible. Very upsetting and now I don’t want the painter touching the car again.

The BSD was working fine when I drove to Super Bowl gathering yesterday but on the way home I got a Check BSD Warning. I thought there may have been sanding dust on the sensor located on the back bumper, so I cleaned, reset ignition, but the warning remains. Is a reset/recalibration possible or is the warning always indicate a replacement part is required?

Does the BSD use the bumper sensor or are those strictly for backup guidance? This “plate” mentioned by OP, is it something not visible and behind rear bumper skin? Is there a way to reset the system or am I likewise looking at $1,500 repair bill? Not sure if I have screwed myself out of filing an issurance claim at this point and I’m just going to have to pay out of pocket for repaint and BSD repair? Between my insurance deductible and the depreciation hit from a CarFax accident scarlet letter, I’m wondering if the system could be a CPO warranty claim item instead, provided a second fender tap touch up puts the bumper back to like new again?

Any insight or comments appreciated here. The rear cross traffic setting in User Setting > Driving Assist is now grayed out. Coincidentally, I noticed the SCC setting seems to have disappeared. Anyone know if this is somehow related to the BSD setting being grayed out?

82EA08E5-A47D-4211-84AD-0EFC80EF16BD.jpeg285A30E7-945D-4BFE-911F-6EFCD6E6EE5A.jpeg

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I searched past threads on this subject and replied to one from December. I didn’t realize until afterward but thread I posted in was from the Off Topic forum and I have yet to get a response from my post after the Super Bowl.

Below is my copy and paste from previous post. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Previous thread link: G80 BSD problem!

I had someone back in to me last week in the parking lot. It was a low speed tap and the guy that hit me offered to pay out of pocket so I went to a paint shop I’ve used previously. I picked up the car Friday and the $350 cosmetic touchup turned out horrible. Very upsetting and now I don’t want the painter touching the car again.

The BSD was working fine when I drove to Super Bowl gathering yesterday but on the way home I got a Check BSD Warning. I thought there may have been sanding dust on the sensor located on the back bumper, so I cleaned, reset ignition, but the warning remains. Is a reset/recalibration possible or is the warning always indicate a replacement part is required?

Does the BSD use the bumper sensor or are those strictly for backup guidance? This “plate” mentioned by OP, is it something not visible and behind rear bumper skin? Is there a way to reset the system or am I likewise looking at $1,500 repair bill? Not sure if I have screwed myself out of filing an issurance claim at this point and I’m just going to have to pay out of pocket for repaint and BSD repair? Between my insurance deductible and the depreciation hit from a CarFax accident scarlet letter, I’m wondering if the system could be a CPO warranty claim item instead, provided a second fender tap touch up puts the bumper back to like new again?

Any insight or comments appreciated here. The rear cross traffic setting in User Setting > Driving Assist is now grayed out. Coincidentally, I noticed the SCC setting seems to have disappeared. Anyone know if this is somehow related to the BSD setting being grayed out?

View attachment 18027View attachment 18028

BSD sonars are on the inside corners of the bumpers, they are not the back up sensors, different part:

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
BSD sonars are on the inside corners of the bumpers, they are not the back up sensors, different part:

Thanks for the link. Makes sense that the sensor was impacted as that is where the other guy backed in to me. The price of the sensor linked is ~$500 cheaper than the other poster reported, but it's still a spendy part. I will have to dig deeper to see if this can be owner installed or other possible 're-calibration' options.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks for the link. Makes sense that the sensor was impacted as that is where the other guy backed in to me. The price of the sensor linked is ~$500 cheaper than the other poster reported, but it's still a spendy part. I will have to dig deeper to see if this can be owner installed or other possible 're-calibration' options.
I think the dealer has to calibrate with the Hyundai Specific ODB II tool, but you can install it yourself, it's time consuming as you have to remove the rear bumper cover, they are bolted inside on the corners. probably 1 hour of labor charge.

i got to see it first hand when my G80 was rear ended 5 weeks after I bought it, I saw the tear down at the body shop. I believe if you search here there is a write up on how to remove the bumper cover, on most cars it is fairly easy.

you can get the part from many places, just google the part number 95821-B1100 (right side) 95811-B1100 (left)

if you are not opposed to used:

There is a right and left side however, be sure to get the right one, the part numbers are different.

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I think the dealer has to calibrate with the Hyundai Specific ODB II tool, but you can install it yourself, it's time consuming as you have to remove the rear bumper cover, they are bolted inside on the corners. probably 1 hour of labor charge.

i got to see it first hand when my G80 was rear ended 5 weeks after I bought it, I saw the tear down at the body shop. I believe if you search here there is a write up on how to remove the bumper cover, on most cars it is fairly easy.

you can get the part from many places, just google the part number 95821-B1100 (right side) 95811-B1100 (left)

if you are not opposed to used:

There is a right and left side however, be sure to get the right one, the part numbers are different.
I wouldn't be opposed to going the used route, but I'm still wondering if my sensor is truly broken or simply in need of re-calibration. Would be nice if I had a CPO warranty claim option, but I'm afraid I've sort of painted myself in to the corner by letting the person that hit my pay out of pocket as an insurance claim would have covered this (minus deductible) BSD sensor.

I'm also left curious if the paint repair itself didn't damage the sensor as it worked fine prior to the repair and failed the day after I got it back from the painter. I could do the repair work - and the used sensor price (thanks for that link too) makes it a tempting option - but would like to do a little more research in to how to confirm the sensor truly is toast now. It's sounding like a dealer visit will be required to use their OBD II tool to know for certain.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I wouldn't be opposed to going the used route, but I'm still wondering if my sensor is truly broken or simply in need of re-calibration. Would be nice if I had a CPO warranty claim option, but I'm afraid I've sort of painted myself in to the corner by letting the person that hit my pay out of pocket as an insurance claim would have covered this (minus deductible) BSD sensor.

I'm also left curious if the paint repair itself didn't damage the sensor as it worked fine prior to the repair and failed the day after I got it back from the painter. I could do the repair work - and the used sensor price (thanks for that link too) makes it a tempting option - but would like to do a little more research in to how to confirm the sensor truly is toast now. It's sounding like a dealer visit will be required to use their OBD II tool to know for certain.

Paint “should not” affect the function as it is sonar, however if the painter removed the bumper to paint and didn’t reconnect or replace the sensor correctly then obviously that could be an issue.

You can still legally file a claim, I would, personally. Ever would let someone out of pocket repair me, I pay for my insurance it is their job to make me whole again, then they go after the other person for reimbursement I could care less about the other persons issues.

When someone hits you they are at fault not you so unless you are in a no fault state you rates don’t go up.

need4spd

Registered Member
I feel your pain. Mine went out a week after I valeted the car, brought it to dealer and they tried to re-calibrate it, but it went back out after a few days. Brought it back and they said sorry, that is all we can do as you were hit, and showed me a very slight indent in the bumper and said this is a common issue with slight tap in the side rear of bumper. :(

To see the mark it has to be up on a lift to catch the angle of the indent, otherwise you would never notice it and I notice everything.....

My friend who owns a body shop said they would pull the bumper and see if it is just a bend to the support, if it is, they can bend back, if not a new sensor is needed, just haven't had time in 6 months to get it checked........

Bumpers really aren't bumpers anymore with all the sensors in and behind them. Lesson learned, check carefully, really carefully after a valet drives it.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I feel your pain. Mine went out a week after I valeted the car, brought it to dealer and they tried to re-calibrate it, but it went back out after a few days. Brought it back and they said sorry, that is all we can do as you were hit, and showed me a very slight indent in the bumper and said this is a common issue with slight tap in the side rear of bumper. :(

To see the mark it has to be up on a lift to catch the angle of the indent, otherwise you would never notice it and I notice everything.....

My friend who owns a body shop said they would pull the bumper and see if it is just a bend to the support, if it is, they can bend back, if not a new sensor is needed, just haven't had time in 6 months to get it checked........

Bumpers really aren't bumpers anymore with all the sensors in and behind them. Lesson learned, check carefully, really carefully after a valet drives it.
the bumper is nothing more than a cover, the structural bumper lies behind the cover..

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
Maybe tell the insurance company/adjuster that it needs to be repaired by the dealer to insure that it's repaired properly this time.

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Apologies for not getting back here sooner as I was on vacation and offline. Thanks to all that replied while I was away.

A few points of clarification:

I had mentioned previously that I suspected the painting and repair process either caused the BSD sensor to throw the warning code or the sensor to outright fail [still TBD]. As the BSD system was working fine for most of the week following my parking lot encounter, and only began acting up the day following the repair, it seemed a possibility that the body shop may have had a hand in creating the issue.

I'll attach photos below so you can see where the pre-repair damage was and the extent of the damage, and the after repair photos of the horribly 'repaired' car I received back. Comparing that to the BSD sensor location illustration from sidewinder1 [thanks for that!], I'm of the mind to believe that the vibrations from the paint shop sander may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, or outright cause of the sensor failure. I can't be sure, but my feeling is that had the sensor been removed for the repair, I may not have had the problem.

As or an insurance claim: I wrestled with this initially and thought letting the person who hit me pay for the damage was good for both of us; with my interest being avoidance of a CarFax scarlet letter for an accident staying with the history of the car if I went to a dealer or shop that reports to CarFax. Now that the car has been repaired, and it's obvious to anyone looking passingly close at the area where it was damaged, it may be a little challenging to file an insurance claim for damages [anyone that knows more about insurance claims - feel free to pipe in here] and I still have the $1,000 deductible and aforementioned CarFAx concerns.

Were the car repaired like new, perhaps a CPO warranty claim could have been filed, but that's carries an ethical reservation for me. I will need to look behind the bumper to see if the sensor if visibly damaged or simply vibrated or jolted out of calibration. My neighbor volunteered to re-damage the car with his hunting truck, but damaging your own car to file a claim is a slippery slope toward fraud.

So here I sit with a car repair that I can't look past and BSD warning light staring at me every time I start the car. Coulda, woulda, shoulda doesn't help me now. I'm going to go to another body shop for an estimate and consider tackling the BSD sensor replacement myself as I'm a pretty fair wrench. Wish there was an OBD-Eleven tool like they have for Audis to see if a system reset would verify that the sensor is actually bad. Absent that I may try talking to the dealer at some point here. Anyone that may have suggestions with any of this, please feel free to offer it up; it would be much appreciated.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Call your insurance agent and ask is the best advice I can give. The other party is at fault if you have at minimum his drivers license number or license plate your insurance claims dept can get his insurance info, and at some point you will get your deductible back. Took 6 months for me to get mine. Me having State Farm and the other guy having some third rate unknown company.

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Call your insurance agent and ask is the best advice I can give. The other party is at fault if you have at minimum his drivers license number or license plate your insurance claims dept can get his insurance info, and at some point you will get your deductible back. Took 6 months for me to get mine. Me having State Farm and the other guy having some third rate unknown company.
I've had the same insurance agent for more than a decade now, so I can have a frank conversations with him. I do have the drivers license and insurance info. The person that hit me did send funds via PayPal, which was a pass through of what the body shop was charging me. I suppose this would be his admission of guilt. I have no issue returning his personal funds if a claim is filed.

I would, however, still have the CarFax issue, were the work given to anyone reporting repairs to CarFax. Perhaps an overblown concern(?), but I do know I personally filtered out cars with an accident history flag from CarFax when looking to buy a used car and would assume a percentage of other shoppers would do the same. My feeling is that CF flag would devalue the car and potentially limit my pool of buyers down the road.

need4spd

Registered Member
Gebop - based on where your damage is, I would venture that the brackets the sensor sits on are bent and it is out of alignment.

Similar to you, it took a week for the system on my genny to to show that there was a BSD fault after the valet issue.

Seeing where your damage is, and after seeing the bumper finally removed the other day, I would venture to say the brackets are bent, not sure why the shop did not fix that unless they did not remove your bumper (it is apita to do, tail lights have to come out for one, but also the bottom diffuser holds it in place).

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Gebop - based on where your damage is, I would venture that the brackets the sensor sits on are bent and it is out of alignment.

Similar to you, it took a week for the system on my genny to to show that there was a BSD fault after the valet issue.

Seeing where your damage is, and after seeing the bumper finally removed the other day, I would venture to say the brackets are bent, not sure why the shop did not fix that unless they did not remove your bumper (it is apita to do, tail lights have to come out for one, but also the bottom diffuser holds it in place).
I think I'd be safe in saying there is little to no chance the painter removed the bumper to repair the damage; no less the sensor itself.

It would be interesting to check out the brackets to see if indeed they are the issue and possibly is something that could be fixed simply by straightening the brackets out.

Do you happen to have a shop procedure to reference for getting at the sensor? I have yet to crawl underneath to look, but I'm guessing a fair bit of disassembly is required even to see the sensor.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I've had the same insurance agent for more than a decade now, so I can have a frank conversations with him. I do have the drivers license and insurance info. The person that hit me did send funds via PayPal, which was a pass through of what the body shop was charging me. I suppose this would be his admission of guilt. I have no issue returning his personal funds if a claim is filed.

I would, however, still have the CarFax issue, were the work given to anyone reporting repairs to CarFax. Perhaps an overblown concern(?), but I do know I personally filtered out cars with an accident history flag from CarFax when looking to buy a used car and would assume a percentage of other shoppers would do the same. My feeling is that CF flag would devalue the car and potentially limit my pool of buyers down the road.
then check your state laws for diminished value claims. Most States have laws indicating the at fault party is responsible for any diminished value your vehicle suffered as a result of the hit.

CarFax is only an issue IMO if you private sale. If you sell/trade to a dealer they all base their offers off of auction pricing to whit CarFax is irrelevant.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type

Gebop

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
You shouldn't take his money in the 1st. place, but instead, call police and have a police report and let the insurance deal with it.
Sage advice twenty years ago. But perhaps not especially well considered in a time when Carfax can taint your VIN to the extent that it ultimately costs you more in diminished value than the repair itself - which is very likely the case here. There are other factors to consider here.

The accident itself was on private property and the police would only document the event. It would then be two insurance companies debating fault about two cars backing up at the same time. Despite the accident happening with my car in drive and moving forward, there would nevertheless remain a gray area for fault to be debated. A $1,000 deductible and possibly higher future insurance rates if my insurance company can't collect may create an 'at fault claim', which is an additional consideration for me.

then check your state laws for diminished value claims. Most States have laws indicating the at fault party is responsible for any diminished value your vehicle suffered as a result of the hit.

CarFax is only an issue IMO if you private sale. If you sell/trade to a dealer they all base their offers off of auction pricing to whit CarFax is irrelevant.
Diminished value claims are often a tail chasing exercise. The cost of actually recovering money on a diminished value claim often eats up whatever offset you may get; and you still have the time and effort involved in chasing that offset.

I'm not sure that I would agree a negative Carfax report doesn't matter to dealers when trading a vehicle in. Dealer do use Carfax as a sales tool and you may not get the trade value otherwise possible with a tainted VIN, as the car will now likely be pushed to the wholesale sales channel rather then moved to their lot where more margin can be enjoyed for a clean, accident free vehicle. The used dealers that are buying new car dealer trade cast offs understand well the general public's interest in Carfax reports and have to price vehicles accordingly, which does affect what they are willing to pay at the wholesale level. Trusted for accuracy or not, Carfax reports still impact resale value.

Some reading related to the Carfax diminished value issue:

Here is how Carfax spins the issue: How Accidents Affect Car Prices | CARFAX

The whole issue of the increased cost of repairs for cars outfitted with a variety of various safety sensors is a big one. Simple fender benders are no longer simple and the cost of insurance for cars that are likely inherently safer for these systems, still has ironically skewed the cost of insurance higher. In the case of a BSD sensor, their placement puts them in one the most commonly damaged spots on a car.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Sage advice twenty years ago. But perhaps not especially well considered in a time when Carfax can taint your VIN to the extent that it ultimately costs you more in diminished value than the repair itself - which is very likely the case here. There are other factors to consider here.

The accident itself was on private property and the police would only document the event. It would then be two insurance companies debating fault about two cars backing up at the same time. Despite the accident happening with my car in drive and moving forward, there would nevertheless remain a gray area for fault to be debated. A $1,000 deductible and possibly higher future insurance rates if my insurance company can't collect may create an 'at fault claim', which is an additional consideration for me.

Diminished value claims are often a tail chasing exercise. The cost of actually recovering money on a diminished value claim often eats up whatever offset you may get; and you still have the time and effort involved in chasing that offset.

I'm not sure that I would agree a negative Carfax report doesn't matter to dealers when trading a vehicle in. Dealer do use Carfax as a sales tool and you may not get the trade value otherwise possible with a tainted VIN, as the car will now likely be pushed to the wholesale sales channel rather then moved to their lot where more margin can be enjoyed for a clean, accident free vehicle. The used dealers that are buying new car dealer trade cast offs understand well the general public's interest in Carfax reports and have to price vehicles accordingly, which does affect what they are willing to pay at the wholesale level. Trusted for accuracy or not, Carfax reports still impact resale value.

Some reading related to the Carfax diminished value issue:
[/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL]

Here is how Carfax spins the issue: How Accidents Affect Car Prices | CARFAX

The whole issue of the increased cost of repairs for cars outfitted with a variety of various safety sensors is a big one. Simple fender benders are no longer simple and the cost of insurance for cars that are likely inherently safer for these systems, still has ironically skewed the cost of insurance higher. In the case of a BSD sensor, their placement puts them in one the most commonly damaged spots on a car.

well in my experience, I trade my wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid for a 2017, she had a no fault accident in 2008 when a 14 year old joy riding in his brothers car t-boned her making an illegal left turn. $18,000 in damage. whole front end was smashed and the "A" pillars buckled. at the time the car was worth about $35K so the insurance repaired it. My wife drove it another 8.5 years with no other issues.

it was on Carfax, and the dealership mentioned that they automatically auction cars that have accidents listed, they don't put them on their lots (also cars with over 100K), fair trade on the car was $5100 at the time, we got $5000 for it.. so IMO it made no difference for us. $100 wasn't anything to cry over.

We filed for diminished value and got $3,400 from the insurance company in 2010. Our insurance company didn't even bat an eye at it, because they sued the snot out of the other party and garnished the parents and brothers wages as a result of the police report and the fact that this 14 year old had a history of doing this, already had 4 tickets and was blocked from getting his license until he was 21. Last I heard from my agent it took 10 years to get the $25K + attorney fees back, so they had to be taking $200-$300 a month from the parents.

I recently filed for Diminished Value on my G80 and was awarded $3,900; it cost me $190 for the DV report, $150 for the small claims filing, and 1 day of my time.. I am now pursuing wage garnishment. That will cost me $250-$500ish.. so I lose $600-$900 of $3,900, but technically I am not losing anything because I factored in all the expenses when I filed the claim.. It also helps that the other party opted not to show up and I won by default, but an inch or a mile, a win is a win.