Blue Link WiFi: What does it do, exactly?

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’m not referring to hotspot. Instead: When you to go setup Blue Link (under the Blue Link settings menu), you have an option to connect it to WiFi. Is this purely for downloading apps, or, does it also facilitate Blue Link communications with your car?

This is in reference to my 2018 Genesis G80 Sport.

If it’s the former, for me, that would be a very good thing. Primarily because I live in an area with poor reception. I’m actually asking since I can’t test it out, since after purchasing the car >1mo ago I’m still waiting on Genesis to contact me back about fixing my Blue Link subscription (probably a much bigger and longer thread to come on that drawn out PITA later).

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Well, on my 2015 sedan, wifi connects quickly to all the Spectrum hotspots where ever I am. But it's useless. It's only for the apps that the head unit can use. The only one that is listed, no extra ones to download, is Pandora. I dont use pandora. Pretty sure if I did it would use my cell phone data. Cant use it as a hotspot or anything. So I turned it off so it wouldnt try to connect all the time for nothing.
I havent had "issues" with Bluelink yet but online it shows that it's disabled it even though I've paid for it. Everything still works though. I also got an email a few weeks ago saying it was extended for 6 months for the problems the servers were having before christmas. I'll prob call them about it later.

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The difficulty with Blue Link in my case is that my car was purchased used (16k miles, manufactured mid-2017). Since all the new Genesis vehicles automatically come free with Blue Link service for several years, they already had the original owner setup and ready to go. That's fine, but apparently while it's still relatively easy to switch the owner in their records (i.e. via owners.genesis.com), their Blue Link service seemed to fail miserably at this. I've got a support case open with them literally for 4 weeks (since Dec 2nd, I know it won't be resolved today). They did eventually contact me back telling me that their tech team believe they resolved the problem and for me to try the setup process again, but of course it failed 😭

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
In reference to the original question, It I believe it does 2 things, 1. downloading apps. 2. Connects to the google search services for loading a gps POI. It will use the WiFi first if it has a connection, if not it will flip to the internal LTE connections.

I know this because I attempted to use the google search at the end of my driveway where my WiFi is very weak and the car could not connect to google search, it was still picking up the WiFi but almost zero signal, I kept getting an error, and you could see the WiFi icon in the top right of the screen.

I moved about 10 feet back down the street far enough away that it disconnected from my WiFi and google search worked fine, the WiFi icon went away and a “data” icon appeared.

Last edited:

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Blue Link service seemed to fail miserably at this. I've got a support case open with them literally for 4 weeks
I had the same problem but not for such an extended period. I called the help number on myhyundai.com after I had set up an account and even though the vin clear didnt help, the person on the phone was very helpful and within a week everything was switched to me. I also got 3 months free of Bluelink.

Tennexplorer

Hasn't posted much yet...
I’m not referring to hotspot. Instead: When you to go setup Blue Link (under the Blue Link settings menu), you have an option to connect it to WiFi. Is this purely for downloading apps, or, does it also facilitate Blue Link communications with your car?

This is in reference to my 2018 Genesis G80 Sport.

If it’s the former, for me, that would be a very good thing. Primarily because I live in an area with poor reception. I’m actually asking since I can’t test it out, since after purchasing the car >1mo ago I’m still waiting on Genesis to contact me back about fixing my Blue Link subscription (probably a much bigger and longer thread to come on that drawn out PITA later).
Is yours a certified pre-owned?