Bluelink dies after 1 year of inactivity

zape

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Just discovered this: Hyundai Blue Link vs. Owner: $500 is not a small connections fee, says lawsuit
They say if the bluelink is inactive for 1 year, it will require a hardware replacement for activation which costs $500.
I think mine has died already because it says "Unable to connect to service"
Probably the sim card simply expires after 1 year and they have to replace that.

Can anyone confirm the above is true?

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
with the amount of users on this board that have bluelink connection issues that have required hardware replacement, I don't find it surprising that a lawsuit has been filed.

however I believe this is more related to the age of the vehicle, similar to what occurred with OnStar back in the early 2000s. The equipment from 2012 is likely on a 3G network and is being dropped out for the newer 4G equipment.

With OnStar, users that had active subscriptions were informed they had to come to the dealer and get their equipment upgraded when OnStar switched from analog to digital around 2005. People with inactive OnStar equipment were told that if it had been inactive for more than 1 year that they would have to pay for the upgraded equipment.

This sounds to me like what has happened with Hyundai Bluelink and pre-2015 vehicles, active subscriptions will stay active because there is a revenue stream coming from the customer, but inactive systems have their serial numbers (likely the IMEI) dropped from the backend servers and/or the carriers systems requiring new equipment. I suspect all pre-2015 vehicles regardless of an active subscription or not will have to swap out at some point in the future, or be completely disabled from the features.

All the US Cell carriers killed off all 3G phones requiring all users to upgrade to a 4G phone back in 2013, 3G has only been maintained for these other services like vehicle connectivity, but with 5G looming on the horizon, and already available in some markets, it is not surprising that the carriers are trying to kill of the old 3G technology and rid themselves of the equipment and associated costs to maintain for little to no return.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.