Bluetooth arbitrarily decides it doesn't want to pair

Buford T Justice

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Car: 2013 base Genesis sedan.
Phone: Samsung Note 4.
Issue: Phone will randomly fail to pair with car.

I'm having a very frustrating issue with either my phone or my car... About once every 5 times I use my Genesis my phone will fail to pair via Bluetooth, the other 4 times the phone and car will pair up without problem.

Usually I can turn on my car and my phone will automatically pair up with the car and allow me to play music/call people. But once and a while it will say "pairing failed" and the phone won't connect. I can tell it to try pairing again but I will get the same "pairing failed" answer, if I continue to try pairing it eventually doesn't even say "pairing failed" it just stops acknowledging me. Restarting the car or the phone doesn't fix the issue either.
I have to delete my phone from the Bluetooth menu in the car and reintroduce the two to each other for my phone to pair back up with the car. Once the phone and car are paired everything works dandy and I usually do not have to go through this step again for about 5-10 more car rides.

I'm not sure if it's an interference thing or a phone thing or a car thing, all I know is it's starting to agitate me.

My TPMS is thrown off by my aftermarket HIDs because of interference from the HID balasts, but I can't recreate the Bluetooth issues consistently like I can with the HID/TPMS so I don't think these issues are related. Could auto opening doors from a store or a garage door sensor be affecting the Bluetooth?
Both my Note 4 and my car's head unit have been acting up too. My phone will periodically unmount and then remount my SD card, and my head unit will sometimes not play any sound through the speakers unless I turn it off and then back on.
All of the culprits seem equally probable for pissing me off here.

Here is a picture just because...

Attachments

Buford T Justice

Registered Member
Wisconsin
Any way you can try a different phone in the car for a bit? Then, you could isolate whether it is a phone issue or a car issue.
Yes this is something I would like to try, the incidents are just so sporadic that it makes it difficult at times.

At the moment I'm leaning toward the car being the issue. Just because these cars are notorious for poor quality electrics... and my Note4 has never failed connecting to anything else via Bluetooth.

GenesisCaptain

Registered Member
Do you have any other active BT devices connected to your phone at the times when the pairing fails?

ComputerBudda

Registered Member
Just had this issue with my 2010 and note3. Was able to test my wife's S3 and it works fine. Ended up doing a factory reset on the note3 and it resolved all the issues. Just make sure you have a good backup first. <G> All of the google apps automatically reinstalled. Frankly it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. Probably only took 2 hours to get everything working.

jimmy.grimes.79

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2010 genesis base.... I have always had problem with the BT. It often disconnects without warning. I've had the car since new and have been thru different phones, both iPhones and galaxy have the same issue. Dealer said I may have too many contacts.. Deleting contacts didn't fix. I just turn the BT off and avoid the frustration. Hyundai 1-me 0

stovie47

Hasn't posted much yet...
A friend has a 2011 Genesis sedan that he has activated 5 Bluetooth phones on. He has a new iPhone 6, that he would like to connect. He thinks he deleted a phone from the memory earlier, but now that he has the full complement of 5 different devices, the system will not allow him to delete one in order to make room for the iPhone 6. The dealer cannot help. Has anyone seen this? Jim

Alexander0719

Getting familiar with the group...
Hi can delete all the connection his has I don't think the dealer want to do but only you can delete is the software from the SDS was currupt is the only way you can't delete it.

mjessee

Maryland
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I have this same issue with a new iPhone Xs. Pairing fails once every 2-3 car rides. Incredibly frustrating!