Bluetooth is unreliable, Samsung android & iPhone 7 frequently don't connect!

fisherm054

Hasn't posted much yet...
CA
I purchased a 2018 G80 Sport in July of 2017. My bluetooth has absolutely never functioned reliably. My frustration with the G80 is much more than the bluetooth, but the bluetooth issue has

My next G80 defect was a door trim piece that was not attached properly and had to be replaced. One day of my time sunk here.

My third G80 defect is that my rear window brake light was not working from the day I left the dealership. The Hyundia/Genesis dealer closest to home wanted $600 to repair the brake light because they found that the dealership from which I purchased the car had installed a "brake-alert" module causing this problem! The closest dealership told me that they do not cover anything added to a car by another dealership, even though I did not order this modifiction. The car was sold to me as straight G80 Sport no gimics no mods! I lost another 2 days of my time, but eventually got this fixed by driving 60 miles RT back to the dealership where I purchased the car.

My car has 7200 miles on it after 9 months. Feels like I am driving an old car not knowing what will fail next. Both dealerships have been unable to fix the bluetooth problem. Looks like bluetooth is just never going to be a relaible feature. I have had far better reliablity from cars at 1/2 the price of a G80 Sport!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My next G80 defect was a door trim piece that was not attached properly and had to be replaced. One day of my time sunk here.

My third G80 defect is that my rear window brake light was not working from the day I left the dealership. The Hyundia/Genesis dealer closest to home wanted $600 to repair the brake light because they found that the dealership from which I purchased the car had installed a "brake-alert" module causing this problem!

Why did you lose so much time? Are you not eligible for concierge service? The brake alert sounds like some sort of money maker aftermarket device so the second dealer is correct in not servicing it under warranty. A few dealers still try to foist off added dealer added extras.

The bluetooth seems to be a legitimate complaint. Both phones are mainstream models that should work, I've used the Samsung in three different cars with no problems.

Not sure about your claim of reliability. Does it start every time? Get you to where you want to go? The brake light issue is on the sleazy dealer, not Genesis, Bluetooth is though, but while annoying, it does not prevent reliable operation of driving. I don't know if it is just a simple module swap or a major change of the head unit but I'd try to resolve it somehow.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
If you live by or near a cell tower, transmission tower, airport, Air Force Base, or strong EM emitters, your going to have connection problems. It's common with computer and wireless systems alike. You could invest in a bluetooth antenna ,they are widely available and inexpensive.

Last edited:

g_904740

Why did you lose so much time? Are you not eligible for concierge service? The brake alert sounds like some sort of money maker aftermarket device so the second dealer is correct in not servicing it under warranty. A few dealers still try to foist off added dealer added extras.

The bluetooth seems to be a legitimate complaint. Both phones are mainstream models that should work, I've used the Samsung in three different cars with no problems.

Not sure about your claim of reliability. Does it start every time? Get you to where you want to go? The brake light issue is on the sleazy dealer, not Genesis, Bluetooth is though, but while annoying, it does not prevent reliable operation of driving. I don't know if it is just a simple module swap or a major change of the head unit but I'd try to resolve it somehow.

If I wanted a car to get me reliably from point A to point B and start up all the time, I would not have purchased a $55k car. A simple Hyundai Elantra would have sufficed without all the cost!

SaeWatt

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I purchased a 2018 G80 Sport in July of 2017. My bluetooth has absolutely never functioned reliably. My frustration with the G80 is much more than the bluetooth, but the bluetooth issue has

My third G80 defect is that my rear window brake light was not working from the day I left the dealership. The Hyundia/Genesis dealer closest to home wanted $600 to repair the brake light because they found that the dealership from which I purchased the car had installed a "brake-alert" module causing this problem! The closest dealership told me that they do not cover anything added to a car by another dealership, even though I did not order this modifiction. The car was sold to me as straight G80 Sport no gimics no mods! I lost another 2 days of my time, but eventually got this fixed by driving 60 miles RT back to the dealership where I purchased the car.

My car has 7200 miles on it after 9 months. Feels like I am driving an old car not knowing what will fail next. Both dealerships have been unable to fix the bluetooth problem. Looks like bluetooth is just never going to be a relaible feature. I have had far better reliablity from cars at 1/2 the price of a G80 Sport!

My Sonata Hybrid had major Bluetooth issues. Hyundai was difficult throughout the process, not admitting to a known defect. I found a lawyer and H let me keep the car until the lease turn in AND gave me $7500.
I now have a Genesis G80, the Bluetooth does not work consistently, neither does the Apply CarPlay. I think the dealerships know something we do not know. I am just now researching this issue. I’m sure I’ll uncover an ongoing issue.
I had the driver’s side door trim replaced after only owning it for 2 months.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
2018 G80 sport. And never had an issue with Bluetooth or CarPlay.

There are some things you need to understand about how the system works:

If you are connected to car play the radio disables Bluetooth,

if you disconnect your phone before turning off the car and opening the front door to kill the power, then the radio will flip back to Bluetooth,

if you disconnect after turning off the car and opening the door, Bluetooth stays disabled and on the next start as the car expects the phone to be connected to car play, if it is not connected BEFORE the car starts then it will do nothing, and Bluetooth will remain disconnected as it was from the previous drive.

The radio is set to return to the last used source regardless of what it was, and because CarPlay trumps Bluetooth, Bluetooth gets disabled when an iPhone is connected.

I suspect your issue is the above, you are removing the phone from CarPlay after the vehicle is powered off, but not connecting it before you power the vehicle on, which as I stated keeps Bluetooth disabled as the car is expecting a CarPlay connection as that was the last source used.

If like me you always use car play, you need to develop the habit of disconnecting the phone after the car is off and you open the door, and connecting it before you start the car.

If you prefer Bluetooth then you want to connect CarPlay after the car is started and disconnected it before the car is powered off.

vmi9d3

Registered Member
Odenton, MD
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Mr. I, thanks for the explanation. Very interesting. I don't currently have a vehicle with CarPlay, I have driven one so I am somewhat familiar with how it works. So if the the Bluetooth is disabled when CarPlay is connected does that mean the car is basically acting as a speaker for the phone? I ask that because I feel you can still make and receive calls, you can send text, etc. so if you aren't communicating to the phone via Bluetooth, I conclude it is like a speaker phone, does that make sense? Is operation true of all vehicles or just a Genesis?
Thanks.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Mr. I, thanks for the explanation. Very interesting. I don't currently have a vehicle with CarPlay, I have driven one so I am somewhat familiar with how it works. So if the the Bluetooth is disabled when CarPlay is connected does that mean the car is basically acting as a speaker for the phone? I ask that because I feel you can still make and receive calls, you can send text, etc. so if you aren't communicating to the phone via Bluetooth, I conclude it is like a speaker phone, does that make sense? Is operation true of all vehicles or just a Genesis?
Thanks.

for vehicles that have hard wired Car Play (must use cable) like the Hyundai/Genesis, carplay is mirroring the phone and all hands free calls are handled through that cable. basically the car radio becomes a remote control for the phone allowing limited use of phone features like calls/texts/maps, in the Genesis when stopped you can use the dial pad on the car screen to punch in a number, when in motion it requires you to use Siri to make a call.

Fortunately Hyundai's version of Carplay allows you to override the car by directly using the phone, it doesn't lock you out of the phone while connected, some Carplay systems do. I recently had a Ford Edge rental that did this. while connected the iPhone had a "Ford" logo and I could not access the phone at all.

there are a hand full of vehicles that use wireless carplay, this requires the car to have built in Wi-Fi as carplay mirror transmits over Wi-Fi NOT Bluetooth, and it is my understanding that the hand free features as well rely on Wi-Fi not Bluetooth in that instance.

G-402310

2018 G80 sport. And never had an issue with Bluetooth or CarPlay.

There are some things you need to understand about how the system works:

If you are connected to car play the radio disables Bluetooth,

if you disconnect your phone before turning off the car and opening the front door to kill the power, then the radio will flip back to Bluetooth,

if you disconnect after turning off the car and opening the door, Bluetooth stays disabled and on the next start as the car expects the phone to be connected to car play, if it is not connected BEFORE the car starts then it will do nothing, and Bluetooth will remain disconnected as it was from the previous drive.

The radio is set to return to the last used source regardless of what it was, and because CarPlay trumps Bluetooth, Bluetooth gets disabled when an iPhone is connected.

I suspect your issue is the above, you are removing the phone from CarPlay after the vehicle is powered off, but not connecting it before you power the vehicle on, which as I stated keeps Bluetooth disabled as the car is expecting a CarPlay connection as that was the last source used.

If like me you always use car play, you need to develop the habit of disconnecting the phone after the car is off and you open the door, and connecting it before you start the car.

If you prefer Bluetooth then you want to connect CarPlay after the car is started and disconnected it before the car is powered off.
Many thanks for this post. Answers many questions I had about my Android Auto and bluetooth confrontation

ronflorida3

Hasn't posted much yet...
My 2018 G80 Sport never had any problems until, after a recall to fix an oil seal, the phone wouldn't connect. There were 2 lines of gibberish showing in place of the phone names, which I was able to eliminate by resetting it. I had to install my phone as new and download all contacts and call history. Now, every time I start the car, I have to do it all over again - my phone doesn't show at all. In fact, there is no phone showing.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums