BMS Pedal Tuner - First Mod

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So I've had the item for a week now, so though I would provide an update on my experience with it.

My first day with it I was disappointed. I assume I set my expectations too high for what I thought it would be capable of. When first using it, I couldn't help but reiterate what many critics of a pedal tuner say: "why don't I just push the pedal down further?". After a week of usage, and switching back to the stock mode today, I can confidently say that workaround is just not the same.

The pedal tuner just makes the car more fun and engaging to drive. When comparing it to stock, you realize that the stock throttle mapping has practically no input in the first ~25% of the throttle. This is understandable: it's meant to be comfortable. You do not want the throttle to open linearly and thus probably be jerky and potentially spill that coffee/drink you have in your cupholder. The throttle is mapped for comfort.

Stock sport mode on the other hand, has a much more linear throttle map which, again, makes sense given the name of the mode. However I do not like the aggressive shifts and the jerk you feel when getting off the throttle in sport mode when I'm just trying to commute to work.

That's where the pedal tuner comes in. I've used it on stage 2 the entire time. I've tried +1 and -1 but ended up just sticking to stage 2 without any fine tuning. It simply makes a 365hp car feel like a 365hp car. You step on the throttle, the car moves in a way that feels right. It in no way feels overly sensitive or jerky; you can easily control the throttle and drive in a conservative and relaxed manner. At the same time, you can press down a bit harder/quicker and the car will respond accordingly. The input just feels appropriate, for a lack of a better description.

I switched back to stock mode over the weekend after a week with stage 2, and the car feels like a snail. It was akin to using eco mode for the first time on the stock car after being in sport for a week. That's what really sealed the deal for me.

This may be a personal opinion, as I understand its all psychological, but for me, pressing the pedal down further makes me feel like I'm making the car work harder. I know I'm not, but if I need to reach 50% throttle to accelerate at a relatively normal rate, it FEELS like I'm pushing the car a significant amount to receive minimal input. The pedal tuner removes this feeling, and instead portrays the car as a light, quick, and responsive machine.

Ironically, I originally bought the pedal tuner in order to remove the throttle lag that I feel when flooring the car. This device does not remove that. It makes it slightly better, but in noway removes the lag that is present when mashing the pedal. So if that is the main reason you want the device, I do not recommend it. However, that is why I originally bought it and instead found other reasons that make it worthwhile, so there's that.

TL;DR This device makes the car feel like it should. It makes the throttle feel more responsive and appropriate for the amount of power that is under the hood. It makes the car more engaging to drive which, frankly, should be a big deal for pretty much everyone in this forum. It does not make the throttle overly sensitive or the car more jerky, at least in stage 2, but instead is very easy to control and manage based on what you want. It does not remove the throttle lag that is present in the car.

Shout out to @rmod for his assistance and guidance on how I should test the device!

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got mine today. Had to pay all the taxes known to mankind along with “fee for handling priority courier items” on it. Postal import form says “Musical instrument part”....guess either the customs person mistook this for a guitar pedal tuner or is a car tuner by heart and considers this as a part to tune the notes out of a straight pipe.... either way the description sticks.(y)
Installed and calibrated but did not get a chance to go for a spin....my turn to take care of the micro monster at home today. Will update in a week.

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Got mine today. Had to pay all the taxes known to mankind along with “fee for handling priority courier items” on it. Postal import form says “Musical instrument part”....guess either the customs person mistook this for a guitar pedal tuner or is a car tuner by heart and considers this as a part to tune the notes out of a straight pipe.... either way the description sticks.(y)
Installed and calibrated but did not get a chance to go for a spin....my turn to take care of the micro monster at home today. Will update in a week.
Wow thats annoying. Guess I just got lucky, how much did they charge you for customs/duties/happiness just so other people in the forum are aware?

LOL at the description.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Wow thats annoying. Guess I just got lucky, how much did they charge you for customs/duties/happiness just so other people in the forum are aware?

LOL at the description.

$41.61 Canadian ($31.66 (GST/HST) and another $9.95 "handling" charges). Thankfully no import duty / excise.
Yeah.... well...luck and me never get along :) Nevertheless, I'm happy that it showed up.
I'm glad that you are liking yours. The thing is once we get used to the sensitivity, it always feels good to go up the scale and not down.

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
$41.61 Canadian ($31.66 (GST/HST) and another $9.95 "handling" charges). Thankfully no import duty / excise.
Yeah.... well...luck and me never get along :) Nevertheless, I'm happy that it showed up.
I'm glad that you are liking yours. The thing is once we get used to the sensitivity, it always feels good to go up the scale and not down.
I actually just told myself this morning that it's time to try commuting in stage 3, so you are definitely right!

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ok...so I've been using this for 3 days and driven ~800Kms and I think @Bhavie has summarized it best. The car just feels more eager to get up and go. I really liked the throttle response in the stock sport mode but disliked how it keeps the vehicle at a lower gear. This was really annoying on the highway. With this in place, Eco and comfort models are now more enjoyable and I can get the same or better throttle response without affecting fuel economy. The feeling of getting pushed back to the seat with just a blip of the throttle makes it seem like the car is more torquey. IMO, if you can afford it, try it..especially if you have the 2.0T. May be you will like it, if not sell it or return it. Do you know anyone who has used these devices for any length of time and disliked it...it'd be interesting to know.

Bhavie

Registered Member
Ontario
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Ok...so I've been using this for 3 days and driven ~800Kms and I think @Bhavie has summarized it best. The car just feels more eager to get up and go. I really liked the throttle response in the stock sport mode but disliked how it keeps the vehicle at a lower gear. This was really annoying on the highway. With this in place, Eco and comfort models are now more enjoyable and I can get the same or better throttle response without affecting fuel economy. The feeling of getting pushed back to the seat with just a blip of the throttle makes it seem like the car is more torquey. IMO, if you can afford it, try it..especially if you have the 2.0T. May be you will like it, if not sell it or return it. Do you know anyone who has used these devices for any length of time and disliked it...it'd be interesting to know.
What stage are you running?

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What stage are you running?
Stage 1 +1 :)
This is what I felt was similar to the stock sport mode. Anything more it feels a little too sensitive to me. Have to be careful this winter.

Andr3Stacks

Registered Member
Atlanta, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Been looking for one for a month now. On backorder on most sites. Where'd yall get yours from? Or PM me if you dont like yours and want to sell it.

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bought it from the Genesis store on this forum....and now I see they are sold out. :-(

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums