Brake Fluid Replacement

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis G70
I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere but I couldn't find any reference to this issue using the search tool. Has anyone replaced the brake fluid on their G70? The maintenance schedule only calls for an inspections every year (or 12K miles/20K km). I just took my 2019 G70 in to the dealer for the 30K km service (I live in Toronto, ON) and was told that the replacement of the brake fluid was a necessary part of the 30K service. When I asked if this was free, they said that it was over and above the "basic maintenance" provided by Genesis and that it would cost $300. I said no thanks as I don't believe that I need to replace the brake fluid so early in the car's life - I purchased it in Dec-2018. Was the service technician providing some sound advice or was this a complete cash-grab? Has anyone else replaced their brake fluid and what is the recommended interval?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis G70
^^ i call BS on that. if it is a necessary inclusion of the 30k service, it is covered by the 5 year complimentary service. brake fluid is not a wear and tear item like tires or a clutch which are excluded. brake fluid is a service item which will have a prescribed change interval, depending on several factors. certainly it is reasonable to expect at least one brake fluid change within the 5 year free service term.

most brands use a 2-3 year/48 k km interval. but the bust may be between the dealer "recommendations" and the manufacturer requirements. the dealer often suggests many non-mandatory services to boost their margins. you only need to do it if the OM requires it.

for the OP's case, i agree you are fine at only 30k kms and 1.5 years - unless you track your car or subject it to high braking load (towing) which i doubt very much. my personal preference, for what it's worth, is no more than 3 years for hydraulic brake and clutch fluids which are both hygroscopic.

i am curious about this so i will ask my dealer about the expectation next time i am in for service in September.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis G70
^ yeah, about that. most shops, dealers included, don't charge more than ~$120-$140 CAD for brake fluid change. my wife's Toyota dealer charged $109 for her Highlander, my old infiniti was about the same or a bit less, plus shop fees, etc. if the OP does have to pay out of pocket - yet to be confirmed - do it elsewhere following the OM fluid specs. or wait for a promo at the dealer.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis G70

TW428

Registered Member
Toronto, ON
Genesis G70
Thanks all for your feedback. Needless to say, I did not have the 'recommended' service work (which included a brake fluid flush, fuel injector cleaning and wheel alignment) done at the dealer and will be looking for a more affordable service location when the time comes to replace my brake fluid. I guess the question still remains, is there an OEM recommended interval for when the brake fluid should be changed in the G70 given that the owner's manual only requires an "inspection" every 12 months?

joegr

Registered Member
No Genesis Yet!
Since I started driving and maintaining cars, I have been flushing out all the brake fluid while bleeding the brakes after replacing the pads. The old fluid has never been noticeably bad, and I've never had any issues. So, for me (your experience may be different), it's been good enough to only do it when I was doing other brake work.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis G80

supaboyee

Genesis G80
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I have actually been looking into doing a brake fluid bleed or maybe a flush on my own since the brakes feel a little squishy. I was looking through an older shop manual and has a separate section for ESC brake fluid bleeding which needs the Hyundai GDS tool. Do you guys ever do this part of the brake fluid flush?

1595901749954.png

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums