Brake vibration

Ceejay

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2019 G70 3.3. I don't drag the brakes or do hard braking. I only have 3500 miles on it, and the dealership has turned the front rotors twice, and the rear once due to vibrations. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Richard Brunet

Quebec City
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2019 G70 3.3. I don't drag the brakes or do hard braking. I only have 3500 miles on it, and the dealership has turned the front rotors twice, and the rear once due to vibrations. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Yep,
I love my car and its fabulous performance all around. But: I had problems with my g70 3.3 sport Brembo brakes:
at 10 k km(6000miles) the discs seemed warped and induced a vibration In the brake pedal. The dealer conceded that and replaces the four discs with New one free of charge, under warranty.
At 20,000km(12,000 miles), the vibration appeared again...back to the dealer, changes the 2 rear disc, charge me $1200cad this time....
I am sure this problem will reappear, autohold? Else?Rotors not strong enough
Has anybody in the forum had this disc brake problem?
Thanks
Richard
Québec city

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Yep,
I love my car and its fabulous performance all around. But: I had problems with my g70 3.3 sport Brembo brakes:
at 10 k km(6000miles) the discs seemed warped and induced a vibration In the brake pedal. The dealer conceded that and replaces the four discs with New one free of charge, under warranty.
At 20,000km(12,000 miles), the vibration appeared again...back to the dealer, changes the 2 rear disc, charge me $1200cad this time....
I am sure this problem will reappear, autohold? Else?Rotors not strong enough
Has anybody in the forum had this disc brake problem?
Thanks
Richard
Québec city

Try this:

It's similar to the tsb posted but provides more details. I had the vibration as well and finally got around to doing this. Brakes are now smooth with better bite.

G-128385

Try this:

[/URL]

It's similar to the tsb posted but provides more details. I had the vibration as well and finally got around to doing this. Brakes are now smooth with better bite.
Thanks for your reply, did they did it after changing new parts or using the one already in place vibrating?
Done at the dealership? or by yourself?
Thank so much for all the help, i think we are more aware of problems/solutions then my dealer in Quebec City...

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for your reply, did they did it after changing new parts or using the one already in place vibrating?
Done at the dealership? or by yourself?
Thank so much for all the help, i think we are more aware of problems/solutions then my dealer in Quebec City...
I did it myself, no replacement of pads or anything else.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Troymyer67

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Thats interesting so at any point you can do this procedure and fix the problem? I just put on new rear pads the rotors are fine and no evidence of uneven ware. the front pads were replaced like 6 months ago. Ok I will try the procedure and see if it works. Did you notice an immediate difference and less shuddering when braking? I have a 2015 Genesis sedan. I recall when I first got the car I may have done the procedure by accident....lol I was really liking the paddle acceleration and did it several times in a row.

Last edited:

PsydePiece

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2021 w 12k miles. Have had this veh abt a yr now and been having this issue since the first week (@ 3600mi)

radin

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
i also experienced this issue, and still do on my 2019 3.3T with Brembos. this issue first was noticed at near 9K, Genesis Customer Service was involved, nearly every component was changed but the problem still persists to this day, 3.5 years and 34K miles. i suspect that replacing parts at different stages contributed to the problem never really going away. i just gave up and since there's pad life left, i will replace EVERYTHING on my own dime once brake service is needed. for now I will just stay annoyed.

it's the only blight on an otherwise great car.

Troymyer67

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
i also experienced this issue, and still do on my 2019 3.3T with Brembos. this issue first was noticed at near 9K, Genesis Customer Service was involved, nearly every component was changed but the problem still persists to this day, 3.5 years and 34K miles. i suspect that replacing parts at different stages contributed to the problem never really going away. i just gave up and since there's pad life left, i will replace EVERYTHING on my own dime once brake service is needed. for now I will just stay annoyed.

So feel your pain. Sorry brother. I replaced the front rotors….smooth as glass. It’s a very easy job to do. Highly recommend just doing it yourself. New front rotors $115 each for my 2015 Genesis $79 for the rear. I didn’t have to do the rear rotors since problem fixed with just front rotors. It’s self care, you really need to get the rotors. You will be thankful it’s finally done.

Husky

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

This problem will keep happening until you get better pads. Don't waste your money on rotors. The rotors are NOT the problem. The factory pads are crap. They leave deposits on the rotors, which cause the vibration. This is well documented in other threads on this forum. Just search on brake vibration or brake pads. @Volfy has some very good write-ups and pictures.
There are a few aftermarket pads available that people have found to solve this problem. There is also an OEM "Euro", semi-metallic pad that is excellent, but they're very pricey.
It's a shame that Genesis didn't nip this problem in the bud, and even worse that they still don't acknowledge the true source of the problem, and continue to waste people's time and money replacing rotors.

thatjawncrazy

Registered Member
Baltimore
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So feel your pain. Sorry brother. I replaced the front rotors….smooth as glass. It’s a very easy job to do. Highly recommend just doing it yourself. New front rotors $115 each for my 2015 Genesis $79 for the rear. I didn’t have to do the rear rotors since problem fixed with just front rotors. It’s self care, you really need to get the rotors. You will be thankful it’s finally done.
That's not correct, you'll see the problem come back in a few hundred miles. The problem isn't the rotors, it's the pads. I know replacing your rotors made it seem smooth as glass, but you gotta make sure you know the actual cause before suggesting everyone follows the lead - the stock pads break down and leave deposits on the rotors which causes steering wheel vibration. The ONLY solution to this is to replace the pads, which is well documented on this forum.

Troymyer67

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
That's not correct, you'll see the problem come back in a few hundred miles. The problem isn't the rotors, it's the pads. I know replacing your rotors made it seem smooth as glass, but you gotta make sure you know the actual cause before suggesting everyone follows the lead - the stock pads break down and leave deposits on the rotors which causes steering wheel vibration. The ONLY solution to this is to replace the pads, which is well documented on this forum.
First I’m not suggesting everybody fall suit only the recipient I was writing given his specific situation. Second, to assume all the vibration is from one source or one universal problem is also an unfounded assumption. Although there may be such a problem. My genesis is a 2015 and have had no issues until about a year ago. 2021 I had to put on the spare due to a flat. In the process one of the lug nut studs broke off during removing the lug nut. I didn’t have time to get the replacement of the stud and ended up just repairing the tire. This is where the beginning of the uneven tightening of the lug nuts without the 5th one present. Unfortunately, I drove on it for some time until the vibration became unbearable. It’s important to note I did replace the brake pads with full ceramic at that time. Long story short I could see the uneven wearing on the front rotor during my replacement of the rotor. So now I have two new rotors and full ceramic pads all around. I think the “universal problem” came up in later year models g70 I think? Anyway, I havnt looked at the threads you referenced but I did reference many threads and sifted through many “solutions” and I tried bedding the brakes etc but didn’t solve my warped rotor with already replaced ceramic pads. Hopefully somebody gets more insight rather than confusion with this clarifying response. I love my ride and the value of a luxury car for just 35k brand new. I just turned 100k miles and it still looks and feels brand new.

radin

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
well the only good news in this story is that for me, the cost so far has been zero dollars, everything was replaced by Genesis customer relations.

I bought my car off lease as markups were and still seem to be excessive, and if I just keep it long enough (and pay), use the parts / pads that this forum suggests, maybe I will enjoy braking again!

but while we're here, is this issue specific to cars with Brembos, or do the same crappy pads get used with the standard brakes? also if there are specific manufacturer / model for the euro pads referenced, as well as the best source for rotors (the rears were not replaced but have been cut so...), all appreciated and welcome.

oh, happy thanksgiving!

radin

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
also, amazing this problem persists, still!

Genesis compensated multiple dealers for all the "free" work yet still...

Volfy

Some fava beans and a nice Chianti
Gulf Coast
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
First I’m not suggesting everybody fall suit only the recipient I was writing given his specific situation. Second, to assume all the vibration is from one source or one universal problem is also an unfounded assumption. Although there may be such a problem. My genesis is a 2015 and have had no issues until about a year ago. 2021 I had to put on the spare due to a flat. In the process one of the lug nut studs broke off during removing the lug nut. I didn’t have time to get the replacement of the stud and ended up just repairing the tire. This is where the beginning of the uneven tightening of the lug nuts without the 5th one present. Unfortunately, I drove on it for some time until the vibration became unbearable. It’s important to note I did replace the brake pads with full ceramic at that time. Long story short I could see the uneven wearing on the front rotor during my replacement of the rotor. So now I have two new rotors and full ceramic pads all around. I think the “universal problem” came up in later year models g70 I think? Anyway, I havnt looked at the threads you referenced but I did reference many threads and sifted through many “solutions” and I tried bedding the brakes etc but didn’t solve my warped rotor with already replaced ceramic pads. Hopefully somebody gets more insight rather than confusion with this clarifying response. I love my ride and the value of a luxury car for just 35k brand new. I just turned 100k miles and it still looks and feels brand new.
Your problem with the broken stud was self-induced and entirely different in nature than what most G70 owners have experienced. The Brembo brake pad material deposit issue is well known and well documented by now. Of course, nobody should assume anything without examining their own brakes. Yet too many folks blame it on warped rotors without measuring disc runout and confirming that was indeed the problem. While not impossible, cases of actual warped rotor are actually rather rare. Unfortunately, it is an easy concept for most people to wrap their head around, so that's where the fingers get pointed.

Volfy

Some fava beans and a nice Chianti
Gulf Coast
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
but while we're here, is this issue specific to cars with Brembos, or do the same crappy pads get used with the standard brakes? also if there are specific manufacturer / model for the euro pads referenced, as well as the best source for rotors (the rears were not replaced but have been cut so...), all appreciated and welcome.
I've yet to hear similar complaints from G70/Stinger owners with the non-Brembo brakes. Our own Stinger came with the single-piston brakes. Before I did the Brembo conversion, the stock brakes worked fine, with no pulsing issues and no visible pad material transfer on the rotors. I still have those calipers and rotors stored away in my attic.