Break-In Period?

krobin350

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Seems like I may be going through the first pitfall of buying out of state.
During my test drive I noticed a burning scent coming into the cabin, sales rep sd, it was because vehicle 'wasn't fully prepped, driving for the first time' and it was 'the plastics burning off during the break in period'.
Ummm.. odd, I never smelled anything like that on a brand new car but, okay. I obviously purchase anyway. I continue to smell it often through yesterday.
On the drive in to work this morning, Battery indicator comes on. Minutes later the Front Collision warnings start flashing across the dash. I'm @ 400 miles now.
So I called my local dealer, this guy says since TX are not authorized to sell them yet he may not have anyone qualified to work on it and if it needs parts it will take time to arrive.
Okay so how about a loaner while I wait for it to be fully checked out? Annnnd.. No, I have to go on a waiting list for that.
Really debating if the car is safe enough for the 2-3 hr drive back up to OKC. Or take my chances with local dealer?
Anyone else happen to smell this in the car?

open to any thoughts or suggestions here...

Beefer

Getting familiar with the group...
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
During my test drive I noticed a burning scent coming into the cabin, sales rep sd, it was because vehicle 'wasn't fully prepped, driving for the first time' and it was 'the plastics burning off during the break in period'.
Ummm.. odd, I never smelled anything like that on a brand new car but, okay. I obviously purchase anyway. I continue to smell it often through yesterday.
On the drive in to work this morning, Battery indicator comes on. Minutes later the Front Collision warnings start flashing across the dash. I'm @ 400 miles now.
So I called my local dealer, this guy says since TX are not authorized to sell them yet he may not have anyone qualified to work on it and if it needs parts it will take time to arrive.
Okay so how about a loaner while I wait for it to be fully checked out? Annnnd.. No, I have to go on a waiting list for that.
Really debating if the car is safe enough for the 2-3 hr drive back up to OKC. Or take my chances with local dealer?

TX is indeed authorized to sell. Call his BS.

krobin350

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
TX is indeed authorized to sell. Call his BS.
yeah, WE all know that. But from most of our experiences all the random schmucks at the dealerships are clueless.
My thought is, telling me 'tx isn't authorized and you may not have anyone qualified to work on my car' doesn't necessarily give me the greatest confidence in handing you over the keys to my newborn baby

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
yeah, WE all know that. But from most of our experiences all the random schmucks at the dealerships are clueless.
My thought is, telling me 'tx isn't authorized and you may not have anyone qualified to work on my car' doesn't necessarily give me the greatest confidence in handing you over the keys to my newborn baby
Call Genesis Customer Service.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

That is awful. Is this the Siberian Ice you bought in OKC?
I agree with Beefer, that Texas is now authorized to sell--and you are also correct that you likely know more than he does. I also would call the OKC dealer and see what they suggest/offer. And then start going up chain--particularly when the OKC salesperson told you something that seems suspect.

krobin350

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
in an interesting turn of events... decided to take the car into to local dealership 10 mins away from the office to speak to someone in person. halfway there, I got this screen message and dashboard fully lit up. car completely froze and shut down not even 1 minute after.
I'm currently sitting in 1 of the busiest interections during lunchtime in Plano, TX waiting for tow truck to arrive. eta was 60mins

I must say, this is terrible marketing for Genesis where as ppl driving around are either flipping me off or pointing out the tag of a new car that's only 2 days old.
20190129_111421.jpg20190129_111443.jpg

Beefer

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Holy F. Did you use Connected Services (button on your rear view) ?

Did you call Genesis Customer Service (844-40-9741) ?

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
in an interesting turn of events... decided to take the car into to local dealership 10 mins away from the office to speak to someone in person. halfway there, I got this screen message and dashboard fully lit up. car completely froze and shut down not even 1 minute after.
I'm currently sitting in 1 of the busiest interections during lunchtime in Plano, TX waiting for tow truck to arrive. eta was 60mins

I must say, this is terrible marketing for Genesis where as ppl driving around are either flipping me off or pointing out the tag of a new car that's only 2 days old.
View attachment 17815View attachment 17816
This seems less than ideal. Keep us posted.

krobin350

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
what a day!
yes, this is the Ice from OKC. And Genesis Customer Service has opened a case. And just about everyone I've came in contact with over last 3 days has a very polite, strongly worded email in their inbox summarizing all the events. Genesis of Plano has it now. they confirmed they'll most likely have to escalate to the 'national tech center or fly in a tech from somewhere'. wait what!?
and they confirmed to sit back and relax because it's gonna be quite the wait.
and the kicker... while I wait, here's the loaner I get to enjoy. that's a Hyundai Ion in case you were wondering.

my concern level at this point is at a ummm... 'threat level orange'

20190129_125500.jpg20190129_130238.jpg20190129_154533.jpg

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

View attachment 17815View attachment 17816
That sucks. First, the sales rep said it was not prepped. Why did they let you out the door knowing that?
If you had an odor for a short time, that could be considered normal, but you have a bigger problem, I hope once fixed it is a somewhat happy ending.

SeekingGen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
what a day!
yes, this is the Ice from OKC. And Genesis Customer Service has opened a case. And just about everyone I've came in contact with over last 3 days has a very polite, strongly worded email in their inbox summarizing all the events. Genesis of Plano has it now. they confirmed they'll most likely have to escalate to the 'national tech center or fly in a tech from somewhere'. wait what!?
and they confirmed to sit back and relax because it's gonna be quite the wait.
and the kicker... while I wait, here's the loaner I get to enjoy. that's a Hyundai Ion in case you were wondering.

my concern level at this point is at a ummm... 'threat level orange'

View attachment 17820View attachment 17821View attachment 17822
Not a good day. On a "plus side"??? -- you do have a car to drive, and they are hopefully looking at it.
Was Sam your sales person? I met him on Saturday--was just wondering if he was the person who said that the "smell" was normal. (Not sure he would know "normal" yet for the G70 because believe yours is the first sold by that dealership; though perhaps he is drawing on his G80/90 experience. . . but I do not ever recall a burning smell as a normal smell in a car.)

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Try and go with the flow for now and see what the diagnosis they come up with. It's got to be something rather obvious for the car to shut down like it did.

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Wow the flatbed driver didn't even use alternate ramps or the tow pin???? "Ouch . make sure you check and se if there's damage to the underside of the front bumper paint. The alternate ramps extend further under the tires and allow it to lift over the bed and are utilized on lowered cars.

Toddasaurus

Hasn't posted much yet...
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Dang... This is horrible!! I wonder if that smell came from some burning wires or hardware that wasn't properly attached....or....maybe there was some plastic or foam-like pieces that were/are pressed up against the exhaust manifold or turbos, maybe even caught a small fire and burned up some sensors; but, you didn't mention seeing any smoke so maybe not.

Either way, you sound like a very patient man. Props to you for dealing with this as best as anyone could given the situation. Like you said, this is bad publicity for Genesis. Hopefully they make things right with this headache they've caused you.

Looking forward to reading your updates.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.