• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Brembos & Brake Dust

ryan_g

Hasn't posted much yet...
Orange, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

I’ve had my G70 3.3T Sport for a week now, and my wheels are incredibly dirty. Like, more than I would ever have thought could happen in just a week. It seems to me the culprit is brake dust produced by the Brembos. I’m not sure if it’s just the pads being broken in or what, but it’s incredibly visible with the dark wheels. Has anyone else had this issue? Photo for context.

Attachments

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

I’ve had my G70 3.3T Sport for a week now, and my wheels are incredibly dirty. Like, more than I would ever have thought could happen in just a week. It seems to me the culprit is brake dust produced by the Brembos. I’m not sure if it’s just the pads being broken in or what, but it’s incredibly visible with the dark wheels. Has anyone else had this issue? Photo for context.
Is this your first performance car? this is a normal thing you’re going to have to deal with, euro pads are even worse. Americans prefer less dust for a slight trade off in performance but there’s still going to be dust

sethsquire

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I've also noticed a good amount of dust. When I was doing my weekly wash I hit the wheels with some spray wax, which I'm hoping will make them a bit more repellent to dust. Will probably give them a coat of sealant when I have the time and energy, but the 18" AWD wheels have an annoying amount of contours.

Truck Norris

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I also have 14k and have never seen dust like that (3.3T sport). I've driven it HARD as well as having had some issues with the brakes bedding when I first got the car, still never saw dust like that.

19G70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hi all,

Same here. Today was my first time washing my G70 (3.3T Sport) and the wheels had lots of dust. 650 miles on the clock. Going to need a longer brush to clean these wheels all the way inside. Any recommendations on a good spray on wheel cleaner to assist with removing the brake dust and road grime?

ryan_g

Hasn't posted much yet...
Orange, CA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This is my first performance-oriented car. I’m a huge car guy, as i’m sure many on this site are, but I guess brake dust is something I never knew much about 😂

pharoah9

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Same here. Today was my first time washing my G70 (3.3T Sport) and the wheels had lots of dust. 650 miles on the clock. Going to need a longer brush to clean these wheels all the way inside. Any recommendations on a good spray on wheel cleaner to assist with removing the brake dust and road grime?
I've been using Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel Cleaner and have had good results.

pharoah9

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I applied Adam's H2O Guard and Gloss with my wash today. Going to see how that does with the brake dust build up on the rims.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
...Tons of brake dust on my 6MT.
^ when my Sport pads wear out i'll likely go with the standard Brembo-spec pads. as much as i like the bite and stamina of the Sport pads, the dust is a bit excessive. and i don't track my car so the payoff isn't justified. not too noticeable on my dark 5 spoke rims. but my winter rims are the Switch 212 in Titanium, and they get coated in dust quickly.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I don’t Care how long they last as long as 3 years /36,000 miles :)
It’s a wear item, don’t think warranty applies in the way you’re thinking it does. Anyways I’m general I would imagine the pads would make it to 40k. It all depends on how your drive and brake. For example my last car I sold at 70k miles and the original pads still on it no squealing and still had more life left in them. That wasn’t Brembo, but it was a sports car with high performance pads. Literally, YMMV

Throat Yogurt

6MT Mafia
SUPPORTING MEMBER
I'm right here.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums