• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Bunch of weird problems last night...

sgrenald

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Savannah
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Ok, so I was leaving the movie theater, and got an alert to check the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system?). Came out of nowhere. I drove home and when I turned the car off, the radio kept playing (which is normal) but everything else inside the car, as well as the headlights all turned off. It's one of those things you don't really think about until afterwards, but IIRC, the interior lights come up, the seat & steering wheel move out of the way, and the side mirrors move in, and the headlights stay on for about a minute or so. But everything went dark. Tried to use the fob to lock the car, and nothing happened.

I'd left a door open, so I got back in and the car started right up. I haven't had a HUGE experience with bad batteries, but if it WAS the battery, I would expect that the car would have trouble starting.

So enough unusual stuff happened that I didn't even think about the fob battery until later, but I pulled out the spare one, and it didn't work either. Using Blue Link remote start didn't work. I get errors when I try to use remote start or door unlock. Although Status Check updates.

What's annoying is that I spoke with the dealer a few weeks ago about bringing it in on the 9th for an oil change/check up, but neglected to make an appointment. And they were booked by the time I tried to make one.

Anyone ever see anything like this? Basically the car "dies" when you turn it off? I'm about to head out to run some errands, so I'll get some experience with the plastic lock cover on the door...

glennk

Been here awhile...
Dallas, TX
First thing I'd do is check the battery. Make sure the terminals have no corrosion (remove corrosion with baking soad/vinegar combination...brush it with an old toothbrush), that the cables are firmly attached to the terminals. Check how old the battery is. You can swing by any PepBoys, AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc and have the battery/charging system tested. Last I looked, PepBoys was selling (on its website) the H9 / 95R battery for $150 (includes the 25% off coupon...it has a 48 Month warranty...battery from the dealer was over $300).

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Savannah
Genesis Model Type
Battery from my dealer was about $400. Took to Advanced and it was $179. They had some difficulty getting the battery installed, but it got in. My other problems didn't go away. Drove right back to the dealer. Hopefully it's something stupid like "Computer that controls all of this stuff is on the fritz because of the bad battery. Sitting overnight with a new battery has fixed everything." But I'll settle for "It's under warranty, don't worry about it." (starting to regret not buying the extended warranty...)

sgrenald

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Savannah
Genesis Model Type
Glad it was so easy. Which fuse caused those kind of issues?
I think they said it was the main fuse. Although...I drove home from work tonight. Stopped off at the gas station a few blocks from my house. Started 'er up again and...the TPMS light went on. So, the fuse blew again. Which, I guess, means it's NOT the fuse that's the problem. Back to the dealer in the morning. Which sucks because I really need a car tomorrow. Hopefully they can lend me one or...something...