• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Burger Motorsports JB4 high performance tuner now available for the Genesis 3.3TT

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Please dont spread misinformation. Plenty of dealers can tell if a car has been tuned, regardless if you map it back to stock or remove the hardware before taking to the dealer. See VAG tunes, they all have this issue where the ECU will show how many times its been reset from stock (diff than just unplugging your battery)

The magsun-moss (sp?) warranty act does say that they have to prove that the tune is the issue, and some dealers will ignore and fix, some wont. The issue is that if the dealership wants to fight it, they have much more captial and resources to do so than you do. TLDR is if you tune, you are running a risk if something breaks IE turbo, manifold, gaskets, plugs. If you tune and your suspension breaks you can be sure they wont point to the tune as the issue (obviously)

Terry @ BMS

AUTHORIZED VENDOR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Last edited:

Bamm1

Getting familiar with the group...
NE
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Please dont spread misinformation. Plenty of dealers can tell if a car has been tuned, regardless if you map it back to stock or remove the hardware before taking to the dealer. See VAG tunes, they all have this issue where the ECU will show how many times its been reset from stock (diff than just unplugging your battery)
The modification being discussed in this thread is not a "flash" tune that rewrites the ECU. Your concerns only apply to them. The JB4 is a piggyback unit that modifies signals to the ECU and "tricks" it into adding more boost, fuel, etc. The ECU's factory parameters are still intact.

The magsun-moss (sp?) warranty act does say that they have to prove that the tune is the issue, and some dealers will ignore and fix, some wont. The issue is that if the dealership wants to fight it, they have much more captial and resources to do so than you do. TLDR is if you tune, you are running a risk if something breaks IE turbo, manifold, gaskets, plugs. If you tune and your suspension breaks you can be sure they wont point to the tune as the issue (obviously)
This is a little bit of confusion on this thread. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not apply to tunes. It only applies in situations where an aftermarket part designed to operate within factory specifications is used instead of an OEM part. This was to combat companies from forcing you to only use their "parts" on your car. For example, Ford can't deny an engine warranty claim because you didn't use Motorcraft oil and a Motorcraft filter. If you used oil that has a Ford certification and a filter with the correct filtration properties they have to honor your warranty. That aftermarket engine tune (flash, piggyback, etc.) is not "designed to operate within factory specifications" and is therefore not under the umbrella of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You are confusing the VAG GT1 flashing code (from loading a flash tune) with good VAG piggybacks like the JB4. Flash tuning is ALWAYS detectable. The EA888 JB4 on the other hand is undetectable but more importantly has proved highly reliable. It's one of the most popular tuning options out there for the the EA888 motors.

VW JB1 and JB4 Tuners, Intakes and Accessories - BurgerTuning.com
I appreciate the clarification, I didn’t fully understand the piggyback and how it works. I would like more information? IE how a piggyback could be fast enough(sending and receiving if it now has an extra step to go through) to be as reliable as a flash on the ecu?

joschneider

G70 Member
Las Vegas, NV
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The modification being discussed in this thread is not a "flash" tune that rewrites the ECU. Your concerns only apply to them. The JB4 is a piggyback unit that modifies signals to the ECU and "tricks" it into adding more boost, fuel, etc. The ECU's factory parameters are still intact.

This is a little bit of confusion on this thread. The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act does not apply to tunes. It only applies in situations where an aftermarket part designed to operate within factory specifications is used instead of an OEM part. This was to combat companies from forcing you to only use their "parts" on your car. For example, Ford can't deny an engine warranty claim because you didn't use Motorcraft oil and a Motorcraft filter. If you used oil that has a Ford certification and a filter with the correct filtration properties they have to honor your warranty. That aftermarket engine tune (flash, piggyback, etc.) is not "designed to operate within factory specifications" and is therefore not under the umbrella of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.
Appreciate you clearing this up and expanding on it

Terry @ BMS

AUTHORIZED VENDOR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Curious, is it possible to see any fuel and timing maps with the datalogging? I would want to see just how much and where the piggyback is altering everything.

Either way, color me impressed for the features you get with a piggy back unit. I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

Terry @ BMS

AUTHORIZED VENDOR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
This JB4 could be fun! At first thought on changing the plugs as recommended; not a big deal. But I just watched a video on how to change plugs on the 3.3T Stinger and it IS a pretty big deal since the intake manifold needs to come off. And I assume the G70 3.3 will be near identical since it's the same engine.

Wondering if there is any other option to changing or re-gapping plugs? Someone mentioned the reason for the plug change is not enough spark energy with higher boost. Is it possible to increase spark energy with the stock plugs using some other method and less labor?

Does the JB4 allow for 0-60 timing (or any other timing) since it has CANbus and can see mph?

Is the most we can hope for that this will NOT decrease fuel economy for a given driving scenario? Or can we actually hope for maybe BETTER fuel economy with the same foot on the pedal once you fine tune the tune?

Sal Collaziano

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Palm Beach, Florida
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
This JB4 could be fun! At first thought on changing the plugs as recommended; not a big deal. But I just watched a video on how to change plugs on the 3.3T Stinger and it IS a pretty big deal since the intake manifold needs to come off. And I assume the G70 3.3 will be near identical since it's the same engine.

Wondering if there is any other option to changing or re-gapping plugs? Someone mentioned the reason for the plug change is not enough spark energy with higher boost. Is it possible to increase spark energy with the stock plugs using some other method and less labor?

Does the JB4 allow for 0-60 timing (or any other timing) since it has CANbus and can see mph?

Is the most we can hope for that this will NOT decrease fuel economy for a given driving scenario? Or can we actually hope for maybe BETTER fuel economy with the same foot on the pedal once you fine tune the tune?
The only question I have an answer to since I have experience with the JB4 on other vehicles is - fuel mileage increases. If you're flooring it all over the place and always in boost - you're going to use more gas. If you drive normally - most likely the way you did before adding a tune - you'll see better gas mileage. This has been the case with every boosted tune I've ever used - the only exception being if/when you install larger fuel injectors. However, that's not something you'd typically do without also adding larger turbos...

Terry @ BMS

AUTHORIZED VENDOR
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
What are the performance gains going to translate to in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times? I realize this would be a guestimate.

Tonester

SUSTAINING MEMBER
San Francisco, CA - Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Economy is not changed during normal driving, the JB4 takes in pedal position and driving mode, among many other parameters, VIA CANbus, to incorporate them in to the tuning. We have a low boost valet map that may boost economy a bit. But, what fun is that? :)

The JB4 Mobile app has a 0-60 timer but if you want really accurate performance metrics this is the best option: dragy - GPS Based Performance Meter - Free Shipping in USA

On plug gap bottom line is that is the best easiest way to resolve the issue. It's about an hour job. In theory with flash mapping you could increase dwell which *might* get a little more power before regap is required but then you void the warranty flashing, and the flash tunes start at 2x the price of the JB4, so comes with its own drawbacks. And you'll probably still have to to the plug gap.
I was thinking if you can alter air/fuel and other parameters, this may allow better freeway mileage. But I guess you'd need a flash to change dwell and such that might more likely affect mpg. I'm a newb at tuning, so I don't really know what your box can do other than increase boost. And if all you do is increase boost based on the CANbus inputs, then it's understandable that you wouldn't expect better mpg and in fact, you'd be much more tempted to press the pedal and get worse. But as you say, that's where the fun is! :)

Regarding the plugs, if I found a reputable shop that was trustworthy and could do it in an hour or so, I'd consider it. But as others have said, it's hard to trust a brand new car to just any ole shop! I live in the San Francisco area, so I may get lucky with all the performance shops nearby.

Thanks Terry for your answers! much appreciated.

Buckdes

Getting familiar with the group...
There is a video on youtube of a G70 beating several top dogs like the ctsv m3 and c63 in the 1/4 mile but no info on what was done with it, most likely a ton

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums