Burger Motorsports JB4 high performance tuner now available for the Genesis 3.3TT

Pickle

Crunchy and Sour
Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
True...I'll see how long BMS takes to get theirs going. If too long...might do this.
As for timing: the connectors came from China via eBay, but arrived in ~10 days to Canada as opposed to what was quoted for the shipping time (~4 weeks). I used the 20 AWG 105C wire (same as the JB4 fuel wires).

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I bought a pair of the eBay connectors and received them quickly. They look like they’re good quality. I took advantage of the 4th of July holiday to solder an extension wire for the Fuel Wires onto these O2 cable extensions and added weatherproof connectors to make installation and removal easy.

I was really happy to find a path for the OBD2 cable that didn’t require any cutting of the grommet. I did cut the OBD2 cable and added the same weatherproof connector to make installation and hiding easier. The trick is to pass the cut wire through the grommet for the hood release cable before adding the connector. Simple and clean!

I’ll work on spark plugs and adding the actual JB4 unit next weekend, but right now, the stealthiest place for it (in my opinion) is on the driver’s side under the plastic cowling just under the windshield.

24E3C025-80EA-41B3-B9BB-228C3567F757.jpeg8B7A44A4-7CDB-4BB1-8A1F-EBCC8F3F3574.jpeg4609A726-DACF-434E-852E-A00C4E719E40.jpeg1594EF88-7AF2-4878-AACB-BFFEE9D73AC8.jpeg

Last edited:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Does anyone know if the Denso 5346 are right sparkplugs for the JB4 and the 2.0T?
Nope. The HKS M45XL or the M40XL are the ones you need. There is a NGK Racing Plug as well but costs a lot more. The HKS is not cheap either. Any 12x26.5mm 16mm plug will fit but you want the correct heat range for the amount of performance you want.
Best price is from here: HKS - Super Fire Racing

Samy

Registered Member
Nope. The HKS M45XL or the M40XL are the ones you need. There is a NGK Racing Plug as well but costs a lot more. The HKS is not cheap either. Any 12x26.5mm 16mm plug will fit but you want the correct heat range for the amount of performance you want.
Best price is from here: HKS - Super Fire Racing

Thanks brother. What is the difference between the M45XL and the M40XL, just the heat range? Also, how should I gap them? Thanks,

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Thanks brother. What is the difference between the M45XL and the M40XL, just the heat range? Also, how should I gap them? Thanks,
40XL is the same heat range of 8 as the stock plugs. The 45XL is 9 which is a step colder. If you're going to run a lot of boost and do any bolt-ons, get the M45XL. If you're going to be stock and just run Map1 and live in a cold area, get the M40XL.
Stock gap is 0.027 or 0.028 on these plugs. You can leave them of gap them down to 0.024 or so. No need to be more aggressive than that unless you're trying to squeeze 400hp out of it!

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
A note about the O2 Sensor extensions from eBay. Don't go by the color wire they used. They are a "pass-thru" extensions, and they work. But when connecting fuel wires, you'll want to see what color wire on the extension is in spot 1 of the .connectors. In my case, Pin1 on the eBay connectors was yellow, not red. I had assumed it was color coded and soldered the fuel wire connector to the red wires. This caused a no-start condition and a Check Engine Light. I'm not sure if other colored wires might be used for Pin 1 (spot 1 on the aftermarket connector), but best to double check before tapping or soldering the fuel wire in.

In terms of the spark plug removal - it was a lot easier than expected. The passenger side is definitely the harder side, but a 1/4 inch ratchet with 3 or 4 inch extension and U-joint made short work of it. The smaller diameter extension makes it easier to get to those coil hold-down bolts. And doing the job on the passenger side it's easier to remove the front and rear coils first. That gives plenty of room to work with middle cylinder (which is right under the intake manifold.)

Lastly, the JB4 bluetooth kit: I found that the bluetooth antenna needed to be pointed toward the driver for me to get it to work. (Point the end without the wires toward the driver.) I used some velcro on the JB4 box and the bluetooth dongle that seemed to work fine.

Samy

Registered Member
A note about the O2 Sensor extensions from eBay. Don't go by the color wire they used. They are a "pass-thru" extensions, and they work. But when connecting fuel wires, you'll want to see what color wire on the extension is in spot 1 of the .connectors. In my case, Pin1 on the eBay connectors was yellow, not red. I had assumed it was color coded and soldered the fuel wire connector to the red wires. This caused a no-start condition and a Check Engine Light. I'm not sure if other colored wires might be used for Pin 1 (spot 1 on the aftermarket connector), but best to double check before tapping or soldering the fuel wire in.

In terms of the spark plug removal - it was a lot easier than expected. The passenger side is definitely the harder side, but a 1/4 inch ratchet with 3 or 4 inch extension and U-joint made short work of it. The smaller diameter extension makes it easier to get to those coil hold-down bolts. And doing the job on the passenger side it's easier to remove the front and rear coils first. That gives plenty of room to work with middle cylinder (which is right under the intake manifold.)

Lastly, the JB4 bluetooth kit: I found that the bluetooth antenna needed to be pointed toward the driver for me to get it to work. (Point the end without the wires toward the driver.) I used some velcro on the JB4 box and the bluetooth dongle that seemed to work fine.

You need a o2 sensor extension?

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I took the car to work today and drove easy in to work and the car ran fine. Driving home this evening, I had the car in Map 2 (with 91 octane) and accelerated hard from about 20 mph. GEEEZ! It’s borderline violent how hard the car accelerates and throws your head into the headrest! I was impressed with the car before, but now with the JB4... I’m REALLY impressed! 😁👍🏻

Samy

Registered Member
Actually, I would like to do that. Is there any tutorial on how to buy and use the o2 sensor extention?

Nevermind I'll read the whole thread. I still don't understand what the fuel wires do exactly and what the relationship with the O2 sensor extension.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Nevermind I'll read the whole thread. I still don't understand what the fuel wires do exactly and what the relationship with the O2 sensor extension.
Hi Samy, the stock programming gets richer at higher RPM, which decreases horsepower for increased safety. The fuel wire allows the JB4 to lean the mixture at the upper RPM to allow maximum horsepower to redline.

The O2 sensor is a wide band sensor and it can measure the air/fuel ratio. The fuel wire allows a reading from the O2 sensor so that the air/fuel ratio can be monitored by the JB4 tuner and optimized without it going lean or too rich.

I’m not sure if the 2.0 uses the same O2 sensor as the 3.3T. If it does, you’ll have a Bosch LSU 4.9 connector. This is the connector (male and female needed) to either build or buy an extension that you can tap into for the fuel wire.

Hope this helps?

Samy

Registered Member
Hi Samy, the stock programming gets richer at higher RPM, which decreases horsepower for increased safety. The fuel wire allows the JB4 to lean the mixture at the upper RPM to allow maximum horsepower to redline.

The O2 sensor is a wide band sensor and it can measure the air/fuel ratio. The fuel wire allows a reading from the O2 sensor so that the air/fuel ratio can be monitored by the JB4 tuner and optimized without it going lean or too rich.

I’m not sure if the 2.0 uses the same O2 sensor as the 3.3T. If it does, you’ll have a Bosch LSU 4.9 connector. This is the connector (male and female needed) to either build or buy an extension that you can tap into for the fuel wire.

Hope this helps?
Make sense. Thank you!