Buying from out of state

Speeder

Registered Member
Quinton, NJ
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Curiuos to know how my local dealer would feel when I take the vehicle that I bought elsewhere for complementary maintenance/service valet? Would they provide any less of a service?
I'm getting my scheduled maintenance done at a different dealer than I purchased the car from. The Dealers are equal distance from my home and about 30 miles from each other. I bought my previous G80 from the Dealer I'm using to service my GV80.

Aquineas

4th Genesis
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Curiuos to know how my local dealer would feel when I take the vehicle that I bought elsewhere for complementary maintenance/service valet? Would they provide any less of a service?
Honestly, the service departments are a separate profit center. I've had no trouble getting my local dealer to do the Genesis recommended maintenance on my vehicle. One thing they aren't obligated to do is wash your vehicle, and if they offer it as courtesy they may not do it if you didn't buy your car there. I usually decline the free-washes anyway.

mcatttmc

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I have located the GV80 that I am interested at dealerships that are ~1000-1500 miles from me. Those who bought out of state, how did you manage to get your vehicle: did you drive it home or have it shipped? How much does it typically cost to ship?

Most dealers that I am talking to are offering GV80 for MSRP, except a few that asked for $3-10K more.

There is this one dealership, who is asking for $399 dealer prep fee (to get the vehicle cleaned up and all), $300 for tinting, $300 for glass etching (VIN), ~300 for door protector strip, etc. Not sure any of these are wroth it.
I live in Orlando FL, and bought my GV80 Prestige from a dealership on Long Island NY.
I arranged shipping, used Roadrunner Transport- excellent service. About $900 open transport, but it was nasty weather at the time, so I paid for enclosed transport, $500 more.
They loaded on a Friday 10am, and pulled up at my house Saturday 5pm!

csu87

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
my local dealer has had no issue doing the valet service on mine that i bought out of state.

GenesisBeliever

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
At last, I finally bought a 3.5 Prestige in Blue/Dune from Genesis of Austin, TX sight unseen and having it shipped to where I am at. I paid MSRP (72,995) plus 580 for accessories (wheel locks, cargo tray, rear bumber applique, first aid kit). I had no option but to buy the window tinting (290) and window etching (290). They tried to sell me $2750 extended service contract, which I declined. The only other unwanted charge was Dealer’s Inventory Tax (138.25), which is BS and has nothing to do with my purchase. It is a property tax on the dealership based on the total sales of motor vehicles in the prior year. I asked them to take it out, but they said it was non-negotiable. They knew I wanted the vehicle and I just had to swallow the 138.25. I worked with the sales guy named Tom Williamson. He was great to work with. But the finance guys were trying to upsell stuff that I did not need. I booked through Montway to have my vehicle shipped to NC in an enclosed container ($989). They are picking my vehicle up today and will be delivering it in two days. Can't wait to see it in person. Thank you for all for your advice and sharing your experience.

yellosno84

I live in NC and purchased a sight-unseen 2021 GV80 from a dealer in TX. It was the only one I could find with the trim and color packages I wanted. Dealer sold at MSRP but added tinted windows, bumper/door edge/handle protectants in exchange for $1,000 which I was ok with. I paid an open truck service $1,400 to transport the vehicle roughly 1,400mi ($1/mi). To have the colors, trim, and tint/protectant I wanted anyway, at MSRP + shipping was worth it for me. I couldn't be happier with the vehicle - it's absolutely gorgeous and exceeds the Mercedes GLE and Lincoln Aviator I was considering before purchase.

SilverGV80

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Buy the car, don't buy a damn thing beyond that. Get any extras you want done locally in your area by a 3rd party. All those extras are prty much a scam or way over priced. That's where the dealer makes their money desires financing fees. You should be able to get 1,000 or 2,000 of MSRP

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

GenesisBeliever

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
Buy the car, don't buy a damn thing beyond that. Get any extras you want done locally in your area by a 3rd party. All those extras are prty much a scam or way over priced. That's where the dealer makes their money desires financing fees. You should be able to get 1,000 or 2,000 of MSRP

Agreed, because of low inventory and high demand, dealers are having a field day. One dealership in the Dallas area asked for $3K over MSRP. I told him that I'm getting one at MSRP from Austin dealership, and asked if he could match it. He said "no" and that he would have an easy time selling for $3K over MSRP. Another dealership in Winston-Salem, NC asked for $2K more, when I tried to negotiate, they basically said "go away". One dealership in Charlotte asked how much loan I was approved for. I told him that is none of his business, and that I have sufficient amount approved. He came back with $10K over MSRP. Greedy suckers who are exploiting high demand.

Last edited:

AprilH

Registered Member
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I had one dealership in Sarasota that offered me a GV80 at $5k over MSRP. They called it a “price adjustment”.

ASLAN

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
I live in NC and purchased a sight-unseen 2021 GV80 from a dealer in TX. It was the only one I could find with the trim and color packages I wanted. Dealer sold at MSRP but added tinted windows, bumper/door edge/handle protectants in exchange for $1,000 which I was ok with. I paid an open truck service $1,400 to transport the vehicle roughly 1,400mi ($1/mi). To have the colors, trim, and tint/protectant I wanted anyway, at MSRP + shipping was worth it for me. I couldn't be happier with the vehicle - it's absolutely gorgeous and exceeds the Mercedes GLE and Lincoln Aviator I was considering before purchase.
I flew to New York to get mine. Do what you have to do. LOVED the ride home. :)

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners