Buying matching rims to make V8 wheels non-staggered

genesis333

Hasn't posted much yet...
I ran through my first set of rear wheels at 20,000 miles. Since v8 19 inch wheels are staggered I'm unable to rotate them. Coincidentally, I found a used set of rear OEM rims and started thinking about replacing the front ones to make them match. Has anyone done this before? I read that ABS is only affected if the rim size is different, which should affect my case.

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I don't think an extra half an inch will rub unless you run 275 front. 265 or less should work, but that kind of defeats the purpose of 19x9.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
I ran through my first set of rear wheels at 20,000 miles. Since v8 19 inch wheels are staggered I'm unable to rotate them. Coincidentally, I found a used set of rear OEM rims and started thinking about replacing the front ones to make them match. Has anyone done this before? I read that ABS is only affected if the rim size is different, which should affect my case.
I feel that you would come out better by buying a pair of front wheels that can be installed on the rear axle and then use wheel spacers to push the rear wheels out to the fenders like the wider OEM wheels if you want to really go with a uniform wheel set without messing up the rear tract too much. Just my ideal.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The 5.0 staggered are the same size and offset as the sport staggered and you cannot put the fronts on the rear, the fronts have a different offset and back spacing and 245mm wide tires will rub.

If you reduce to 225 then they will work, but the offset is wrong so the wheels will appear to be tucked in too far and will look off compared to the front.

The only way to do this is to get the OEM 18” wheels and tires sizes as they have the correct backspacing and offsets to fit properly at all 4 corners.

Most tire shops will not put on spacers and for sure the warranty will be affected if anything in the rear breaks, the spacers will be blamed.

Spacers are not a good idea imo, unless they are hub centric with their own set of lugs.

And BTW the oem tires suck, 20k is about right for the soft rubber they are made of, your better option IMO is to get a better set of tires with a decent warranty. I’ve have this staggered setup on my last 3 cars exact same size wheels and tire, the oem tires on all 3 were done by 20k. My replacements last 50k easy, and I don’t rotate, never have.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
The 5.0 staggered are the same size and offset as the sport staggered and you cannot put the fronts on the rear, the fronts have a different offset and back spacing and 245mm wide tires will rub.

If you reduce to 225 then they will work, but the offset is wrong so the wheels will appear to be tucked in too far and will look off compared to the front.

The only way to do this is to get the OEM 18” wheels and tires sizes as they have the correct backspacing and offsets to fit properly at all 4 corners.

Most tire shops will not put on spacers and for sure the warranty will be affected if anything in the rear breaks, the spacers will be blamed.

Spacers are not a good idea imo, unless they are hub centric with their own set of lugs.

And BTW the oem tires suck, 20k is about right for the soft rubber they are made of, your better option IMO is to get a better set of tires with a decent warranty. I’ve have this staggered setup on my last 3 cars exact same size wheels and tire, the oem tires on all 3 were done by 20k. My replacements last 50k easy, and I don’t rotate, never have.
Agreed, most popular chain tire shops will not sell nor install wheel spacers. However, many aftermarket wheel shops will sell and install wheel spacers. I personally do not trust wheel spacers due to being an extra part that can fail on the axle over time, however many owners use them obtain a flushed wheel appearance or increased traction so a good set may be fine to use.

I personally would not use spacers on my Genesis since I like the staggered setup, but they seem like a better ideal that putting the wider rear wheel on the front axle..

bigpapainscotia

BIGPAPA
NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Genesis Model Type
I want to put 20 inch on my 2015 5.0 but the front caliper is so big that I might have to use wheel spacer. I don't want to use them so if anyone has any option for rims to fit let me know. with pictures if possible. And I do not want the staggered look.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.